Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:40 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times

Advertisements

I've only OCed a couple of times, namely when it was just really late at night and I was going to take the garbage to the dumpsters down the road. I think I scared the hell out of a bunch of high schoolers once, what they were doing out there at 2AM in the middle of winter was a mystery to me.

I carry concealed for a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 10:00 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,886 times
I used to live in a fairly rural area and I'd see an old timer walking down the road with a shot gun over his shoulder.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:31 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,402,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It's a personal decision - pluses and minuses for both open and concealed. You can both argue that the bad guy not knowing you are armed is a tactical advantage, or that him knowing you ARE armed is an advantage in avoiding conflict in the first place. Unfortunetly the cop and soccer mom hassle factor isn't worth open carry in most urban environments for me, and I just don't like people knowing I am carrying a weapon just as a matter of preference.
this sums up my cc thinking.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:35 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,530 times
Open carry is like putting a sock in your crotch. It does nothing and can even cause you trouble. If someone is going to shoot up a place who is the first one he shoots? The guy with the gun. I would rather people think I was unarmed and be fooled then to know I am.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:37 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,443 times
Default Well

I'm in Texas... nuff said.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:24 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
If someone is going to shoot up a place who is the first one he shoots? The guy with the gun. I would rather people think I was unarmed and be fooled then to know I am.
Please provide links to incidents in which this has happened....thanks!

Old 01-03-2013, 12:25 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
Nope. Open carry is illegal in Texas.

Edit: As a woman, I'm just curious- do you do a lot of shooting? How'd you get into it? We need more female enthusiasts in our community...

Old 01-03-2013, 12:48 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Please provide links to incidents in which this has happened....thanks!
Ridiculous. Just because it never happens, you shouldn't take precautions?

Old 01-03-2013, 12:59 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
Yeah, it says that you have never been able to enjoy open carry.

Several people have mentioned that there is no benefit and that it will cause trouble and it will turn into the old west.

Please post links to any incident that open carry caused problems? Wyoming has had open carry and to my knowledge, has never had a single incident of trouble. So many people live in States that do not allow open carry and yet, they seem to think they know what it will cause. The states with open carry have not seen the problem these folks forecast.

Being in an open carry state doesn't mean that every person you meet down town carrys openly. It is a very convienient law that allows a person to have a pistol on their side while out hunting and while on the way home if you need to stop at a store, you don't take your gun off and leave it in the car, you keep it on you. So sure, you see people that open carry, but it's fairly uncommon. I think maybe a dozen times I have seen a person in WalMart over the past 20 years. Every now and then you will see somebody fuel up and when they are done they go inside to pay for it and they might be carrying.

It's there and it's a right that if you don't exercise it often enough, they'll think you don't need it.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:29 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Ridiculous. Just because it never happens, you shouldn't take precautions?
Well, I've never wanted to kiss a pig, either - should I shoot all pigs just in case?

When you advise against something with warnings of dire potential consequences, then you should be able to show examples of the consequences real potential of occuring....otherwise, there's fixin' ta be a buncha dead pigs....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting