U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:57 AM

7,282 posts, read 8,392,946 times

Advertisements

Absolutely.

When you do things out of spite, it can only harm. it is one thing to open carry. It is quite another to do so "because we'll show them". Stupid.

I have a car that can easily exceed the speed limit by nearly three times. Do I need to stop at a light with a cop next to me racing then engine just because? Maybe wait until some parent is walking in the cross walk to race the engine? That isn't breaking the law. Stupid.

I have the right to free speech as does everyone else in the USA. If I am walking down the street and someone decides to make rude comments about my wife, that right isn't going to make a bit of difference to their front teeth, now rolling around in the gutter. They had the right under the constitution but so what? This nonsense about rubbing rights into the faces of people who don't see things the way you do only gets the laws changes and right restricted.

There are always those that say because you have a right, why not rub it in people's noses. Yeah, we'll show all the anti-gun nuts huh? It works so well.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
We also have a lot of non-NRA members that DON'T want to ban 'em. And just because your state wants to, doesn't mean that it's going to happen. And a majority of the people can "want" something - but that doesn't mean it's going to happen. Youn need to study up on what it takes to amend the Constitution.
The Constitution does not need to be amended to ban "assault rifles" limit magazine capacites. Study up on regulations, commerce clauses, taxation, rules and interpretation.

A minority of people can influence the majority. It is usually that way. What matters is which side is more motivated and actually does something. So far, the opposition does more and those holding the Constitution true do less. That is a fact, not opinion.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
There's a fundamental lack of knowledge about firearms in the national media. The fact that they still don't know the difference between clips/magazines, automatic/semiautomatic and the fact that their focus is primarily on rifles that are hardly used in crimes is all we need to know about their expertise on the issue.
There is no lack of knowledge in the media about those things, they know, they choose to report differently. It is a mistake to think the media are all buffoons and stupid, hardly the case.

Spend a little time dealing with the media behind the scenes and you'll be amazed at how they work and think, who runs things and who decides what gets reported and said on-air. When it comes to guns, there is always an agenda.

Take a look at the gun shop owners who do more damage in 30 seconds on TV than just about anything else. Very little of what was tapped makes it to air. The gun shop owners have no idea they are being manipulated. Recently, of them demonstrated who fast someone can change out a magazine. I bet the shop owner was attempting to show that magazine capacity isn't an issue, the root causes are existing laws that aren't enforced and the criminals, not law abiding people who want to own a semi autoloader.

Guess what the story line was? Gun makers bypass bullet button restrictions, criminals can change magazines to bypass magazine capacity regulations. Hook line and sinker.

Gun shop owners need to realize that the media in any form is not their friend. There is no benefit to accepting and invitation to go on TV unless they have well versed in the art of dealing with the machine. It is not an easy thing to do and the gun shop owner probably thinks any press is good press. No, it is not.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:12 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,437,993 times
We are getting off topic. Get back on track.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 01-18-2013, 08:46 PM

9,194 posts, read 10,146,469 times
Two men carrying semiautos is great from several standpoints. It let's the general public know that guns don't mean violence but rather the means to prevent violence. It shows that we're proud of our guns and won't give them up without a big fight. And perhaps best of all, a bunch of kids, our future adults, are going to want to have them after seeing these chaps carrying them. We need some more .22 rimfire semiautos resembling the AR-15; every kid who gets one now is a future no-compromise gun owner.

We can't waffle or play coward either on the semiauto or the banning of private sales. We either have confidentiality or we don't really have clear title to the gun.

The hoplophobes need to compromise. I want either a repeal of the Gun Control Act or the National Firearms Act. That's a reasonable compromise.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:27 AM

3,806 posts, read 8,517,328 times
trying to stay out of the "pro" or "anti" gun arguments on this one, but while most on this forum are obviously gun owners and may be ok with seeing someone randomly walking the street with that weapon, i can only imagine what those who are not gun owners would think.
While it may be in their full right for thsoe guys to walk openly carrying as they did, considering the recent shootings and the media coverage out there, it almost to me seems as insensitive and even worse something that can do more harm to the gun owners cause then help it. Say 50% of the population may own guns and be against any ban, but that would mean the other half could hold the opposite opinion (#'s for reference only).
While i myself am trying to understand both sides right now to make my own opinion and not blindly follow someone else's, to be perfectly honest I would have serious concerns if i saw someone not in uniform walking by me like that..... it's almost ignorant if those guys didnt think that could happen, police get called in, etc. And if they had a point to prove that was legit, this may have been the wrong way to go about it.

just my .02, nothing else...

Old 01-21-2013, 03:11 PM

5,939 posts, read 8,507,396 times
Ranger, I hear you....and as I've mentioned before - part if this is what we've done to ourselves. Over the years, I've tried to be "sensitive" to the non-gun public, and kept mine well out of sight. Problem being, by doing that we've made actually SEEING one a "oh, NO!" moment!

I've got a gun rack ordered for my truck. There'll be a rifle in it at all times. Flip side of THAT is that it's gonna be one of those "replica" ones....so if some jackwagon DOES break in for it, he's gonna be disappointed.....

Old 01-21-2013, 04:02 PM

3,806 posts, read 8,517,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Ranger, I hear you....and as I've mentioned before - part if this is what we've done to ourselves. Over the years, I've tried to be "sensitive" to the non-gun public, and kept mine well out of sight. Problem being, by doing that we've made actually SEEING one a "oh, NO!" moment!

I've got a gun rack ordered for my truck. There'll be a rifle in it at all times. Flip side of THAT is that it's gonna be one of those "replica" ones....so if some jackwagon DOES break in for it, he's gonna be disappointed.....
I spent all but the past 4 years living in WI, so even though i myself may not be a big gun owner i did grow up around them (and i sure know what a gun rack looks like lol).

Side note on theft. At one of our HOA meetings here, the deputy who handles our area was talking about the rash of car break-ins that was happening (seems some peeps with money feel they can leave their laptops and cell phones on the car seat outdoors and not get stolen).
Anyhow, he mentioned a group of thieves was targeting pickup trucks that had stickers for hunting, gun brands, etc plastered all over their windows..... many a truckowner woke to find his window smashed and his guns gone.

just a little tidbit of info

Old 01-21-2013, 04:14 PM

13,292 posts, read 10,107,693 times
My question is this, if I see two white guys walking around my neigborhood with assault rifles they might get shot at themselves because of the Stand Your Ground Law. You mean to tell me that the average person would not be threaten by this? How about if they were black walking around in a non-black area?

Old 01-21-2013, 07:23 PM

5,318 posts, read 6,617,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
My question is this, if I see two white guys walking around my neigborhood with assault rifles they might get shot at themselves because of the Stand Your Ground Law. You mean to tell me that the average person would not be threaten by this? How about if they were black walking around in a non-black area?

Stand your ground requires that the trespassers are on YOUR property and threatening you. 2 guys walking down a public street are not on YOUR property and are not threatening you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting