Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 05:53 PM

75 posts, read 254,707 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

I have a question I can't seem to find an answer on.
I have my Washington State CPL/CCW, but it does not cross over into Oregon or Nevada.

While driving into these states, "Nevada" most of all, can I open carry while driving?
I have a outside the waist band holster, and I'm curious to get a firm answer on this.

I know it must be concealed in NO way to open carry, but can I drive into those state open carrying on person?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Attorney General's of each State is the best place to get info.

"Really officer I was told on the internets it was ok, it has to be legal."

Old 01-17-2013, 02:36 PM

75 posts, read 254,707 times
lol yeah true that.
I have been looking for the last few month into the laws of both states.
There just does not appear to be a clear answer.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:17 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
Write the Attorney General's office in Nevada and ask for an opinion. Keep the record.

Even so, you are at the mercy of the law enforcement official at the time it becomes a question. Open carry could be challenged if your seat belt covered the handgun, the police saying it was not obviously visible.

Keep a copy of the record in the glove box.

You can be right but still subject to the immediate mess of interpretation at the scene. In the end you are vindicated but spent time and who knows what in the interim.

If you are unsure or can't get a clear answer, best not, there are other options that would allow for personal defense using that handgun and not potentially violate the state laws.

As an aside, not concealing a handgun in part would be difficult using most seatbelt systems. A handgun on your right side with maybe a center arm rest is probably not in plain sight. There isn't much worse for blood pressure than walking up to the vehicle, partner comes around the other side and sees part of a handgun on your right side. The next thing you'll hear is "GUN" and both your hands better be palm up against the windshield already and neither one a rookie.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:00 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,481,187 times
^^^^ But in a lot of states your car is an extension of your home so no concealment issue for handguns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting