U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 06:38 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,247,502 times

Advertisements

I went to the local gun store/tractor supply today and wanted to see if they had .22 ammo in stock and how much it had increased. Not having purchased any for a couple years, I don't know if this is good or bad pricing.

There was plenty of bricks of .22 ammo on the shelf in both solids and hollow points. Both were the same price of $24 per brick. The only limitation was you could only purchase one brick at a time. Course, you could take it to your vehicle and come back inside and get another brick if you wanted to.

Winchester, 555 (rounds in a box, 1280 FPS, 36 gr, plated hollow Points were $26 a brick.

I honestly don't remember exactly what I paid for it last time, but it had to be 2004 or so and if I recall at all, it was around $16 to $18 a brick.

Of course, when I was a kid, I had to get an advance in my allowance to get a brick at a time. I got a buck a week for allowance and it was $2.35 a brick back then. It was around $1.50 for shorts. Gopher and flickertail hunting you only needed shorts, so you could get by cheaper. Didn't have to worry about feed problems because my rifle was a single shot bolt action. You had to feed them one at a time. hahahaha

By the way, that was at Shipton's Big R. I don't know if they do mail order or not.

I did take a quick look at the shelf and they had about 150 rifles of all shapes and sizes. They had about a half dozen AR style .22's on the shelf and I looked at one (didn't pick it up, just leaned across the counter so I could see the price tag) and it was priced at $320. and the tag said, "With 4 mags". But it didn't say how big the mags were. hahahaha Couldn't make out the manufacturer.

Something that was desturbing though. I have been looking at this little scope for $69. that is a 3x9. I have been thinking that would make a good scope on my grandson's 10/22. He's 12 now so he's starting to see the advantage of distance and he has shot some of my high power stuff with scopes and he likes them. I stopped and looked at it today and it was priced at $119. huh?????? Why the heck are cheap little scopes going up like that? It's not a scope you'd put on a high powered rifle, it's just a cheap little scope. Whoops, excuse me. It "WAS" a cheap little scope. hahahaha
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 PM

774 posts, read 1,967,569 times
Gander mountain on I94 in WI has 535 rd boxed for 17.99.

Picked up 2000+rds on Sunday. They had a whole display full

Old 01-24-2013, 12:10 AM

13,951 posts, read 10,226,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I went to the local gun store/tractor supply today and wanted to see if they had .22 ammo in stock and how much it had increased. Not having purchased any for a couple years, I don't know if this is good or bad pricing.

There was plenty of bricks of .22 ammo on the shelf in both solids and hollow points. Both were the same price of $24 per brick. The only limitation was you could only purchase one brick at a time. Course, you could take it to your vehicle and come back inside and get another brick if you wanted to.

Winchester, 555 (rounds in a box, 1280 FPS, 36 gr, plated hollow Points were $26 a brick.

I honestly don't remember exactly what I paid for it last time, but it had to be 2004 or so and if I recall at all, it was around $16 to $18 a brick.

Of course, when I was a kid, I had to get an advance in my allowance to get a brick at a time. I got a buck a week for allowance and it was $2.35 a brick back then. It was around $1.50 for shorts. Gopher and flickertail hunting you only needed shorts, so you could get by cheaper. Didn't have to worry about feed problems because my rifle was a single shot bolt action. You had to feed them one at a time. hahahaha

By the way, that was at Shipton's Big R. I don't know if they do mail order or not.

I did take a quick look at the shelf and they had about 150 rifles of all shapes and sizes. They had about a half dozen AR style .22's on the shelf and I looked at one (didn't pick it up, just leaned across the counter so I could see the price tag) and it was priced at $320. and the tag said, "With 4 mags". But it didn't say how big the mags were. hahahaha Couldn't make out the manufacturer.

Something that was desturbing though. I have been looking at this little scope for $69. that is a 3x9. I have been thinking that would make a good scope on my grandson's 10/22. He's 12 now so he's starting to see the advantage of distance and he has shot some of my high power stuff with scopes and he likes them. I stopped and looked at it today and it was priced at $119. huh?????? Why the heck are cheap little scopes going up like that? It's not a scope you'd put on a high powered rifle, it's just a cheap little scope. Whoops, excuse me. It "WAS" a cheap little scope. hahahaha
Those prices you quoted for a brick of .22 aren't bad for todays standards. Thats about what I was paying 6 months ago for my bricks.....

Old 01-24-2013, 04:54 AM

3,804 posts, read 8,442,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELL37 View Post
Gander mountain on I94 in WI has 535 rd boxed for 17.99.

Picked up 2000+rds on Sunday. They had a whole display full

i was up there over the holidays (am from the Madison area), and was looking for some target rounds for an old .22 i was given from the family. Looked like most shelves were wiped out at the time, though as not one in the gun craze going on now i figured it was just due to Christmas time... until we hit other chain stores (ie Bass pro, etc) on the drive back and they were hammered as well...

Of course maybe it's just a bit harder to find the target type rounds over what shooters normally buy for their .22's

Old 01-24-2013, 06:06 PM

774 posts, read 1,967,569 times
Yeah the bulk .22 stuff is still pretty easy to find but not always cheap so I bought 4 boxes. The girls love to shoot the .22 and will go through 1000rds in a weekend

Old 01-25-2013, 08:11 AM

8,094 posts, read 5,614,345 times
There is virtually no .22 ammo to be found in my area of Texas. I was talking to some guys yesterday from a different part of the state and they can't get it either. I don't have any idea why people are hoarding .22 ammo in the same way as handgun and larger caliber rifle rounds. There has been no talk whatsoever of doing anything legislatively with .22s. It's not like .22s are a particularly useful round for hunting (outside of varmints) or for personal defense. Its a great, cheap round to target practice with, but no one is talking about banning that.

It's the same situation with 9mm ammo here, and again, I don't think there is serious talk about banning 9mms.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
There is virtually no .22 ammo to be found in my area of Texas. I was talking to some guys yesterday from a different part of the state and they can't get it either. I don't have any idea why people are hoarding .22 ammo in the same way as handgun and larger caliber rifle rounds. There has been no talk whatsoever of doing anything legislatively with .22s. It's not like .22s are a particularly useful round for hunting (outside of varmints) or for personal defense. Its a great, cheap round to target practice with, but no one is talking about banning that.

It's the same situation with 9mm ammo here, and again, I don't think there is serious talk about banning 9mms.

that's been my frustration on all this... over the holidays i was given an old family pistol which is my "first gun". And trying to get a couple boxes of target ammo to take it to the range was near impossible; and that was hitting stores in our drive back from WI to SC, as well as online sites.

And even trying to keep this out of the discussions on hoarding and general craziness going on right now, it's just a .22!

Old 10-03-2013, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,290 times
try findmeammo.com - they compare prices across a bunch of stores.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:27 PM

27 posts, read 71,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
What are your go to websites?
Any number of gun dealers found on the deep web. Use BitCoin to pay for weapons and you're good to go.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:57 AM

i've found links thru the following forum that has been helpful in getting .22lr, when i dont seem to catch them on my own thru the major retailers sites (Cabelas, Gander, PSA, etc). But i've also gotten lucky on those main sites, just checking at the right time to get what i needed.
I refuse to pay more then regular retail, or some trumped up shipping charges, which may limit my purchase options BUT i feel good about what i do buy lol. And everything i am lucky to buy runs thru my pistols, nothing is hoarded or re-sold......

OFFICIAL (IN STOCK) 22LR AMMO THREAD - Page 143
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting