Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 AM

185 posts, read 405,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
That's why I was curious. I have read they have been improved in the last few years, so some of the people bashing might not have experience with the newer models.

Doesn't matter for me though because I think I'm going to get a Garand.
If you're getting a Garand through the CMP, I recommend buying some of their Greek surplus ammo; it is good quality. They only sell loose ammo now, not in the enbloc clips. As demand for it climbs, supplies are dwindling and the price is going up; I recently bought some that cost me twice as much as the same ammo I bought 3 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 08:33 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie7597 View Post
If you're getting a Garand through the CMP, I recommend buying some of their Greek surplus ammo; it is good quality. They only sell loose ammo now, not in the enbloc clips. As demand for it climbs, supplies are dwindling and the price is going up; I recently bought some that cost me twice as much as the same ammo I bought 3 years ago.
Yes, going with the CMP. Two questions:

1) Does the Garand take any type of 30.06 ammo? I read that 150 grain is ideal.

2) How hard is it to find the clips for the Garand? Are are new clips still produced?

Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 AM

1,396 posts, read 2,042,144 times
Quote:
Why do people on firearms internet forums trash this rifle so much? The two main complaints about the Mini-14 seem to be that it is SLIGHTLY less accurate than an AR and it doesn't accept as many accessories. I'm just curious because the Mini-14 receives a lot of hate on forums but the reviews of it are almost universally positive.

Is it a case of people who haven't actually shot one trashing it or are the people who don't like it mostly AR fanboys? Or are there legitimate reasons why it is a poor rifle?
I own a late 90's vintage all stainless Ranch Mini-14 with a birch wood stock that I bought new. I use genuine Ruger 20 round mags in it. I also installed a Choate M-14 style flash hider about two days after the '94-'04 AWB expired. lol

Amazon.com: Ruger Mini-14 Flash Hider (M-14 Style-Stainless): Sports & Outdoors

It's also equipped with a Harris bi-pod and 1" leather military sling with Uncle Mike's quick release sling swivels.

With that said, it's a neat rifle....BUT it's no M1A...AR-15 or M1 Garand as I own all of them too. Accuracy falls short in that department. A Norinco or Poly Tech SKS (not AK) is even better. I own a old Norinco that I bought in '89 that will outshoot it all day long.

Would I still own one/it? Hell yes...it's a great looking rifle and fun to shoot and collect.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:06 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
I know some people who know way more than me who reject the AR just due to the gas system. It s***s where it eats, and so on.

There's a case to be made that the accuracy issues of the mini 14 can be potentially addressed, but the AR will always have its DI gas system (unless you buy a piston gun). OTOH you could argue that the gas system issues can be ameliorated thru diligent cleaning, but the mini's lack of accuracy cannot.

Keep in mind that AR's generally cost a few hundred bucks more, so maybe a fairer comparison would be between an off-the-shelf AR and a mini with a few hundred bucks worth of gunsmithing.

A flat top AR has a big advantage in terms of optics mounting, and also some great optional calibers (by changing the upper like 6.5 Grendel and 300 blackout

Old 01-30-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Yes, going with the CMP. Two questions:

1) Does the Garand take any type of 30.06 ammo? I read that 150 grain is ideal.

2) How hard is it to find the clips for the Garand? Are are new clips still produced?
You don't want to shoot any 30-06 in the Garand other than what is specifically manufactured for it. Some of the hi-pressure ammo made for hunting rifles could possibly damage the M1. There is some commercial stuff made just for the Garand; I think Hornady makes it, as well as Privi Partisan (Serbian). I'm not sure what prices are for the commercial grade, but the last Greek I bought (last year) ran about 50 cents a round. You might be able to find Korean surplus cheaper than that, but I understand the Koreans used corrosive primers.

You can buy enbloc clips on Amazon or ebay. Amazon seems a little high but if you buy large quantities on ebay (50) you can get them for as little as a buck apiece.

Enjoy your rifle!!

Old 01-30-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
You don't want to shoot any 30-06 in the Garand other than what is specifically manufactured for it. Some of the hi-pressure ammo made for hunting rifles could possibly damage the M1. There is some commercial stuff made just for the Garand; I think Hornady makes it, as well as Privi Partisan (Serbian). I'm not sure what prices are for the commercial grade, but the last Greek I bought (last year) ran about 50 cents a round. You might be able to find Korean surplus cheaper than that, but I understand the Koreans used corrosive primers.

You can buy enbloc clips on Amazon or ebay. Amazon seems a little high but if you buy large quantities on ebay (50) you can get them for as little as a buck apiece.

Enjoy your rifle!!
M2 Ball is generally hotter then any civilian stuff on the market. The same as Lake City M855 SS109 and Q4813 9MM. I'm nowhere near 1,140 FPS and 358 ftlbs on my 124 FMJ reloads. Only thing that is hotter are Speer Lawman. It's made to duplicate LE hollowpoint ammo with a round nose FMJ to be more cost effective for target practice.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:41 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Hater gonna hate

... but the Mini-14 is a fine little rifle. Yes, they ain't tack drivers, but are pretty darn reliable and will get the job done if you're not blasting away at stuff over 100 yards. The early skinny barrels can be greatly improved in accuracy with the simple installation of an Accu-Strut. That's what I'm gonna do with mine (bought new in 1984).

http://www.accu-strut.com/

Old 01-30-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocker_Spaniel_Lover View Post
M2 Ball is generally hotter then any civilian stuff on the market. .
Not necessarily. According to Army specs, the M2 Ball, with a 152 grain bullet, is rated at 2740fps from a Garand; there are commercial grades of ammo that will exceed 3000fps. There is a lot of confusion regarding the subject, since there is great variation in powder characteristics. The prevailing opinion seems to be to avoid commercial ammo with larger than 150 grain bullet. There are also a number of modifications available to the gas tube which supposedly help prevent damage from excessive pressure in the tube. I don't care to modify my rifle, so I am sticking to surplus ammo, Lake City and Greek, as long as I can.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily. According to Army specs, the M2 Ball, with a 152 grain bullet, is rated at 2740fps from a Garand; there are commercial grades of ammo that will exceed 3000fps. There is a lot of confusion regarding the subject, since there is great variation in powder characteristics. The prevailing opinion seems to be to avoid commercial ammo with larger than 150 grain bullet. There are also a number of modifications available to the gas tube which supposedly help prevent damage from excessive pressure in the tube. I don't care to modify my rifle, so I am sticking to surplus ammo, Lake City and Greek, as long as I can.
Lake City always seems to run best in M1 Garands, ARs, M1As, M1 Carbines. After all, it was designed for them.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocker_Spaniel_Lover View Post
Lake City always seems to run best in M1 Garands, ARs, M1As, M1 Carbines. After all, it was designed for them.
I do prefer Lake City, when I can find it. Lake City Garand and carbine ammo is pretty hard to find now, and when some does turn up, it can be pricey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting