U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 11:35 AM

9,851 posts, read 7,138,438 times

Advertisements

Smart guns sound like a good idea BUT in reality?? I guess you could still use a malfunctioning smart gun as a club??
It might be a good idea to have the police use smart guns since they often deal with criminals that try and sometimes do take and use their own gun against them.
Imagine being mandated to have a smart gun and then when you really need it the batteries are dead.
Smart guns can be filed in the same place when they had that plan to put serial numbers on bullets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 12:44 PM

7,844 posts, read 7,831,875 times
Most new Smith & Wesson revolvers are made with an internal "safety" lock. Those have been known to fail and render the gun inoperable, so many new owners have been removing them.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:02 PM

1,229 posts, read 948,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Most new Smith & Wesson revolvers are made with an internal "safety" lock. Those have been known to fail and render the gun inoperable, so many new owners have been removing them.
I have a few guns with it on. Never had a problem. I think its a lot like the series 80 colt. There is three parts that block the FP until the trigger is pressed. Stops a drop fire. I have been told the trigger feels this and that. BS its no different. I could take out the three parts and have had them out when I put in a short Colt trigger when I did my beaver tail and left hand thumb safety I put on it. I decided not to as it does not do much for me to remove it. [I did not modify my colt in any way and only ground on the parts to make them fit. I kept the old parts and can make it factory any time] Now on my SR9c I did remove the mag block that stops me from firing a round in the chamber if the mag is out. I hate that crap. Its useless. Its a u shaped block in the slide and its easy to take out. I can put it back anytime. My Walther's have it but its not quite as easy to remove it and since its not my carry gun I am not fooling with it.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:11 PM

198 posts, read 134,773 times
EMP, frequency jammer, electronic failure, dead battery, activator ring lost or in the other room, etc etc, NO THANKS, If I ever have to acquire one of these Smart guns, the first thing I will do is disassemble and fix the firing mechanism so it is always engaged. Weld the solenoid in the function position.

Keep in mind the PO PO can disable cell phones and cars with OnStar systems any time they want, so why would you trust them not to disable your weapons?

Old 02-15-2013, 05:00 PM

4,506 posts, read 5,262,544 times
^^^ Especially when they just open fire on you because you kinda sorta had a vehicle that looked like someone whom they're afraid of.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:53 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,849,995 times
Bottom line smart guns are stupid. What we need are smart gun owners. The gun is just a piece of hardware.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:23 AM

4,506 posts, read 5,262,544 times
What we need to do is deal with criminals...including the ones committing treason and usurping the Constitution.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:34 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,778,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Saw a piece today on a newtwork news show about "smart guns". Specifically, handguns and shoulder fired long guns that will not shoot unless the shooter wears a ring with a chip in it that activates an electrical device in the gun itself to let it shoot. One manufacturer in Germany has a watch that does the same thing. How do you feel about these? Personally I don't know about my life depending them as I am sure they are not foolproof.
It has been my candid observation over many years that any product labeled "smart" is only smart for the maker of the product.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:01 PM

7,282 posts, read 8,398,877 times
Not an advocate for smart guns but they don't use batteries. The technologies being used so far and those in development do not use batteries, they use capacitance and biometrics or magnetics.

The EMP thing, please. Really, you are going to generate an EMP to disarm someone?

There are all kinds of problems with trying to limit the use of a firearm to a specific person that make most of the system unworkable for most uses.

The example someone used about the bad guy knocking the gun from their hand and then their wife not being able to use it doesn't wash though. Some of the technologies would allow for the owner to bond the firearm to relatives or a limited number of people so that gets around that specific issue. The wife could pick up the firearm and use it.

I'd think that if my pistol were knocked from my hands by the bad guy using a knife, my life would not depend upon my wife trying to find the gun and instead would use her own. I mean who keeps a gun for self defense and then leave their spouse of significant other without the means to defend themself too? That seems rather selfish and not thought out very well. Hey honey, I have a gun but don't worry, if I drop it because the bad guy knocked it from my hand, you can jump in and pick it up and finish him off. Okaaaaay.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:02 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,073,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Same as those we see in sci fi movies, guns of the future. But since there's what 300,000 firearms in the country I wouldn't expect them to be replaced with these soon. Anyway, I'm leery of anything with the name "smart" on it, especially a firearm.
How about "smart" politicians? They'll all tell you just how clever they are. After all, if they're not, why did we the people elect them into decision-making positions? Hmm? Answer me that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Problem View Post
NO THANKS, If I ever have to acquire one of these Smart guns
Etc., etc. Famous sadly telling quote "if I ever HAVE TO acquire one of these..."

Hmmm. I think if anyone tries to MAKE ME acquire one of these things, I'll be going into the woods, living successfully off my 55+ yrs of wilderness, hunting & Army survival experiences to remain somewhat harder to find and disarm. And way out there, those digitally enabled and dependent individuals who might be pursuing me will have to stop and change out their batts far more often than I will...

Hopefully by then, we of the Sensible [or is it "senile"??] Resistance Citizenry may also be able to acquire some black-market focusable EMP gun, which will make their firearms go "Bzzzzsstttttttttt...

BTW, recently some truly Senile NJ or NY Senator or Congressman suggested that gun manufacturers should be fitting or retro-fitting all firearms with a GPS system soz them officials could and would always know exactly where each and every firearm is!

Now obviously this dude didn't go to either physics or electrical engineering school, now did he? Just imagine the wattage of "transmit power" that such a device would require to easily "talk to" a geosyncronous satellite positioned, what is it, 300 geosynchronous miles above the transmitting firearm? Not to mention the requisite batt-pack such a system would therefore require? And the big ol' dish he'd have to lug round on his tinfoil headgear? All of it transmitting GPS coordinates effortlessly through thick building walls, car skins, elevator shaft liners, the metal roof of the bank, or the tinfoil wrapped around the firearm by our local PERP, and so on.

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...g?d=1318062847

What mindless jerk-off ideas we have to endlessly endure! And all of it so the powers that [think] they be don't have to address the real problems: i.e.: the psychotic and unstable or evil-intentioned felon's mindset, or our ultra-violent media, or the CNN-style ultra-liberal pre-determined judgement calls on their "news" reporting, and the biases of many periodicals (Time, Newsweek, and the like), the recent calls to and enforcement of a "Fairness in Broadcasting" doctrine, and so on...

We should actually be quite afraid of these political and media morons, if you ask me. They may be far more dangerous than any single-minded perpetrator!

Run! Be very afraid! But don't forget to pick up your M1A on your way out the door!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting