U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2013, 08:24 AM
 
1,472 posts, read 1,904,520 times
Reputation: 1128

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Eh, that might be the smartest thing he's ever said. I think a shotgun would be an excellent choice for self defense -- maybe not a double-barrel, but some kind of shotgun. You needn't be a good shot with one (point and shoot), it'll certainly stop an intruder if he's hit, and if he's not he'll likely turn tail and run like hell.
Yes but you don't go out where the Intruder is and unload it into the air.But unlike what my wife did you may want to let them get into the House and not shoot them through the Door like she did.

They Blood Trailed the Guy through the woods to the road.He was later found at the Hospital with more Wood than Shot in him.No my wife didn't get in trouble this was back when the Law had more Common Sence.

brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2013, 08:25 AM
 
Location: california
5,480 posts, read 4,554,733 times
Reputation: 6412
Biden is a liberal, criminal, loving moron. Of course hed rather scare away a perp than down him, how else do you keep the lawyers in business ?
People have gotten in to trouble firing into the air or into the ground to SCARE off perps . and firing off a shot gun both barrels ,now the gun's empty and the perp knows it . How stupid .
Any one listening to him deserves the conciquences .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 08:49 AM
 
3,029 posts, read 6,909,639 times
Reputation: 3190
So after you have fired your warning shots, as you lie writhing on the ground from being tased by the cops, but sure to tell them that "but the vice president said it was OK!" Then maybe they won't shoot you too. But then again, that might just give them cause to put you out of your misery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Central Maine
2,868 posts, read 2,843,280 times
Reputation: 3976
......yes.....and go out skeet shooting as well. That way when the "bad guys" run you'll know how far to lead them..LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Arizona, The American Southwest
51,054 posts, read 29,137,166 times
Reputation: 90140
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Eh, that might be the smartest thing he's ever said. I think a shotgun would be an excellent choice for self defense -- maybe not a double-barrel, but some kind of shotgun. You needn't be a good shot with one (point and shoot), it'll certainly stop an intruder if he's hit, and if he's not he'll likely turn tail and run like hell.
A shotgun may be a good weapon in some situations, but if you listen to what Biden said, where he referred to a balcony in their house in a secluded wooded area, and he adviced his wife to fire both shotshells, not all self-defense situations will be in a secluded wooded area, most will be inside a home, after the intruders break into the residence. I don't know about Biden, or anyone else who wants to use a shotgun in a self-defense situation, but a long barrel on a shotgun might be a disadvantage inside the house. I'll stick to one of my semi-auto weapons, with the high-capacity magazines, or one of my magnum revolvers. (.357 or .44 magnum)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 01:25 PM
 
Location: The Lakes Region
3,074 posts, read 3,975,313 times
Reputation: 2336
This is the same "Country Joe" who sneered at Paul Ryan in the debates and said the Iranians and
North Korea may have nukes but they are years away from a missle system to deliver them.

North Korea carries out controversial rocket launch - CNN.com

But I bet he can name all the top 20 American Idol Finalists this year.

Tell ya what Joe, I'll take you up on the shotgun suggestion. Ever heard of one called the Judge ?
And it fires slugs as well as buckshot rounds with 5 chambers, lightweight and pistol sized.

Last edited by Pawporri; 02-22-2013 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: Add data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2013, 01:30 AM
 
Location: Formerly Pleasanton Ca, now in Marietta Ga
4,111 posts, read 3,402,459 times
Reputation: 5633
I don't get it. if you are in your bedroom, and you hear an intruder coming up the stairs, do you grab the double barrel shotgun and run down the stairs past the intruder to the porch ( be careful not to knock him over), and then fire both shot in the air? jeez if you get that far keep running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2013, 12:27 AM
 
Location: Somewhere out there
9,616 posts, read 11,062,995 times
Reputation: 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
This is the same "Country Joe" who sneered at Paul Ryan in the debates and said the Iranians and
North Korea may have nukes but they are years away from a missle system to deliver them.

North Korea carries out controversial rocket launch - CNN.com

But I bet he can name all the top 20 American Idol Finalists this year.

Tell ya what Joe, I'll take you up on the shotgun suggestion. Ever heard of one called the Judge ?
And it fires slugs as well as buckshot rounds with 5 chambers, lightweight and pistol sized.
Actually, I think it was governor Cuomo in New York who recently outlawed The Taurus Judge, as an inexplicable special purpose but unnecessarily aggressive revolver. "No possible defense use in the home!" he said.



I am just so glad we have such intellectually superior material in our houses of legislature, huh guys?

(A Serious Question here though: what are we all going to do with these mental goat droppings? The time seems to be fast approaching when we'll have to take some things into our own hands lest these political toadies get the mistaken idea that they will not run into any opposition and can just do whatever they choose to. A sad and truly serious situation!)

Last edited by ElkHunter; 02-24-2013 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: Language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2013, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,696 posts, read 35,415,173 times
Reputation: 2147483647
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
- snip -

(A Serious Question here though: what are we all going to do with these mental goat droppings? The time seems to be fast approaching when we'll have to take some things into our own hands lest these political toadies get the mistaken idea that they will not run into any opposition and can just do whatever they choose to. A sad and truly serious situation!)
That is a good question and I think you will find that "most" people wait for others to fix their problems. Do you, or have you ever written to your local Representative or Senator for your district? That's what I ask people and it disturbs me when people say, "No, they get enough correspondance from people that they don't read anything." In most cases, people can't even tell you who their district Rep is. Out of 30 bills before the state legislature, they know about 1 of them that is of interest to them and have no clue what the other bills are. When those bills pass and become law, these same people complain that the state, "Snuck" in a new law that nobody saw coming. huh?

I know my legislatures, and they know me. I write to them almost every week and some weeks I might write multiple times. I let them know how I feel. They work for me, so I let them know exactly what I feel should be passed or modified or shot down. When I get a response that looks like a canned response, I'll reply with questions that I know they won't answer in a canned response. Many times I get emails that are simply thoughts like in a conversation, such as "I don't know, so in so wants to modify that bill and do this with it and he has some good points, but like anybody, I think he's covering up xyz."

People need to know their reps and let their reps know that they are being watched, and what you want or expect from them. If they don't hear from you (the people), they are going to act on their own and if you have ever been a business owner, the worst thing that can happen is having an employee that does what they want to do. Employee's need positive direction to achieve your goals.

Granted, the representatives here have a lot less people, (around 7000) so a letter or email has a much better chance of being read.

Too many people think that they liked a candidate for their ideas and they actually think that candidate, once elected, will always continue on that path. That never happens. Write to your reps.
__________________
[B][COLOR="Red"]"No Copyrighted Material."[/COLOR][/B]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2013, 10:03 AM
 
Location: The Lakes Region
3,074 posts, read 3,975,313 times
Reputation: 2336
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
That is a good question and I think you will find that "most" people wait for others to fix their problems. Do you, or have you ever written to your local Representative or Senator for your district? That's what I ask people and it disturbs me when people say, "No, they get enough correspondance from people that they don't read anything." In most cases, people can't even tell you who their district Rep is. Out of 30 bills before the state legislature, they know about 1 of them that is of interest to them and have no clue what the other bills are. When those bills pass and become law, these same people complain that the state, "Snuck" in a new law that nobody saw coming. huh?

I know my legislatures, and they know me. I write to them almost every week and some weeks I might write multiple times. I let them know how I feel. They work for me, so I let them know exactly what I feel should be passed or modified or shot down. When I get a response that looks like a canned response, I'll reply with questions that I know they won't answer in a canned response. Many times I get emails that are simply thoughts like in a conversation, such as "I don't know, so in so wants to modify that bill and do this with it and he has some good points, but like anybody, I think he's covering up xyz."

People need to know their reps and let their reps know that they are being watched, and what you want or expect from them. If they don't hear from you (the people), they are going to act on their own and if you have ever been a business owner, the worst thing that can happen is having an employee that does what they want to do. Employee's need positive direction to achieve your goals.

Granted, the representatives here have a lot less people, (around 7000) so a letter or email has a much better chance of being read.

Too many people think that they liked a candidate for their ideas and they actually think that candidate, once elected, will always continue on that path. That never happens. Write to your reps.
I am in a low population state, too. But there is actually more power to those of us in that situation. That is why I recommend pestering the Senators the most. There is only two to a state so us little states have just as much clout as the big ones in the upper house. I still pester my rep, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top