U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 09:35 AM

15,194 posts, read 17,686,126 times

Advertisements

I'm as pro-gun as anyone. I also have both business and personal accounts with U.S. Bank.

The way I read it is the way Happy in Wyoming described it. It's CYA verbiage.

For instance, let's say they open an account for a high school kid. Then that kid tries to use his card to buy a gun. Granted, it should never get to the point where his payment is being processed, but for whatever reason, it does. U.S. Bank has just participated in an illegal transaction.

If their policy specifically states that transactions for firearms may be prohibited, then they're leaving it open to interpretation on a case by case basis. Clearly, in this scenario, it would be prohibited, and they've covered their arse. Another example would be if a dealer in California inadvertently sold a post-ban Glock 17 with a standard magazine (17 rounds). That sale would be illegal, because California is freaking crazy with their gun laws. But USB has covered their arse, by allowing themselves to state that the transaction is specifically against their policy.

In other situations - such as when I've actually used my USB card to buy both guns and ammo - it's not.

This is much ado about nothing, if you read the policy and don't make assumptions. I could leave USB within a week if I wanted to, and I would, if I thought that they were actively working against gun rights, like BofA does. I don't see it that way, though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 11:20 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,109,412 times
It's verbage related to their pay service that they offer. They can put any kind of restrictions on it that they choose as long those restriction dont violate banking regulations.

Very different than processing a check, debit or credit card payment.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:28 AM

7,282 posts, read 8,382,550 times
Did anyone bother to read the link or for what those terms of service apply to?

MOBILE BANKING.

Please, this is just over reaction and trying to find any reason to call something anti-gun. US Bank is not trying to prevent anyone from buying anything.

This kind of rumor mongering hurts gun owners and is counter productive.

Mobile banking is far more vulnerable to identify theft, hacking and other means of fraud than writing a check or using a credit card.

The thread was misleading in its purpose but it sure got some to jump right on and run up the anti-anti-gun crowd.

Walk into a US Bank branch and they will send money for you to a licensed firearms dealer.

There is genuine concern, then trolling and BS. This is the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting