U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 07:51 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,330,239 times

Advertisements

Ok my first choice is a Walther PPK/S for a handgun but it's pretty pricey and hard to find one. What would a good alternative be for a conceal carry under $400? I'm considering a Walther P22 but I'm open to suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 08:11 PM

340 posts, read 339,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
Ok my first choice is a Walther PPK/S for a handgun but it's pretty pricey and hard to find one. What would a good alternative be for a conceal carry under $400? I'm considering a Walther P22 but I'm open to suggestions.
I would not use a 22lr for CCW. Try the firestorm or Bersa 380, They are a copy of the Walther although not exact but very close. They are reasonable. I bought one several years ago just because they were so cheap at the time. I paid 198 out the door.

The great thing about the Firestorm is they do what they are supposed to do. I think now that they are going for around the 250 mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Walther PPK/S Alternative-fstorm380.24785156_std.jpg  

Old 03-18-2013, 08:22 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 18 days ago)

10,285 posts, read 10,442,913 times
I would go with the Bersa Thunder, which can range as low as $270 and depending on the trim, as high as $350.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I would go with the Bersa Thunder, which can range as low as $270 and depending on the trim, as high as $350.
The Bersa and Firestorm are made by the same company. They are identical guns. Firestorm contracted Bersa to make the guns for them. The Bersa has plastic grips and the Firestorm has rubber grips with finger grooves. Its a great feel in the hand. Bersa has adjustable rear sights and fixed on the Firestorm. Bersa has friction groves in the front trigger guard Firestorm is smooth. Other than that they are identical. I personally like the feel of the rubber grips on the FS Adjustable rear sights on a 380 is about unless. Bersa runs about 30 percent more for basically the same gun. I have several walthers, PPK C PPK eagle N PP 359 PPK/s West German 74 made and a PPK SS American made by interarms from the 80s and a few P38s. All very good guns. I carried the FS for a while because if for any reason I lost the gun its not a 550 dollar gun. It was 198. If I ended up throwing it at someone its not a great loss. I also did not mind if I got a bit of wear on it.

If you find a Bersa for a good price buy it. Its not any different. I would go with what I could get the best buy on. FS are a bit harder to come by, at least I don't see many of them any more. Mags for the Bersa or FS are not easy to get. I can't remember if my gun came with one or two. I did get a third though directly from Argentina where they are made.

Take down is different than the PPK, there is a lever on the side you do an 90 deg. down turn and hold it, this drops a block out of the way and you pull the slide back like a PPK or PP and then lift up and off. PPK and PP have a trigger guard that is hinged and is also the slide block.

Finish on the FS is a kind of paint, like the Smith and Wesson Melonite on the M&P series. Its very tough. The Bersa and FS have one feature I am not a fan of. The mag safety that for the life of me can not think of one good reason for it. Its not one that can be removed, or not without a lot of modification. My Ruger SR9 is just a mater of taking out the firing pin and taking out the block. The FS and Bersa have a flat rod that disengages the trigger.

All in all I have never had a FTF or FTE on the FS. It goes bang every time unless its an ammo issue. It eats anything I put in it, even my 380 reloads.
Attached Thumbnails
Walther PPK/S Alternative-images.jpg  

Old 03-18-2013, 09:18 PM

9,862 posts, read 13,185,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrow2 View Post
I would not use a 22lr for CCW. Try the firestorm or Bersa 380, They are a copy of the Walther although not exact but very close. They are reasonable. I bought one several years ago just because they were so cheap at the time. I paid 198 out the door.

The great thing about the Firestorm is they do what they are supposed to do. I think now that they are going for around the 250 mark.
A guy I know from Argentina, firearms inst. carried a Bersa said it was a good gun.

Please OP there are things to buy at discount a tool that will save your life is not one of them. Kel-Tec has some cheap crap and Raven makes some junk too.

If I get a CCW I would go high quality, size, and cost least important. Ruger LCP, Kahr CW9 or PM9.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:20 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 18 days ago)

10,285 posts, read 10,442,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrow2 View Post

If you find a Bersa for a good price buy it. Its not any different. I would go with what I could get the best buy on. FS are a bit harder to come by, at least I don't see many of them any more. Mags for the Bersa or FS are not easy to get. I can't remember if my gun came with one or two. I did get a third though directly from Argentina where they are made.
I agree. I don't have one myself, but it's on my (very long) wish list. I am considering getting my own conceal carry permit, and a Bersa Thunder is becoming a very popular gun for carrying. I had a co-worker try to talk me out of it, saying that the .380 isn't a good man stopper. I replied, "Would you like to be in front of it when it goes, 'bang?'"

Lots of good information in that post, Samcrow.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:54 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,014,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
Today I was at a gun store and to my surprise in the case was a brand new Walther ppk 380. Price $400. Had I not bought a brand new Glock 17, I would have taken that home instead. I thought of buying it as well but didn't want to go hog wild and load up the credit card.

So I'd look around if I was you.

To me a lot of these "pocket guns" are of dubious reliability and accuracy. The Walther has been around and mildly refined over 80 years and with good ammo they have a reputation for working when they need to.

So to me even if it costs more this is one area I'm not going to scrimp on and if you ever have to sell it I doubt you'll lose much on it.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Today I was at a gun store and to my surprise in the case was a brand new Walther ppk 380. Price $400. Had I not bought a brand new Glock 17, I would have taken that home instead. I thought of buying it as well but didn't want to go hog wild and load up the credit card.

To me a lot of these "pocket guns" are of dubious reliability and accuracy. The Walther has been around and mildly refined over 80 years and with good ammo they have a reputation for working when they need to.

So to me even if it costs more this is one area I'm not going to scrimp on and if you ever have to sell it I doubt you'll lose much on it.
Be a bit carful of the PPK. Smith and Wesson have been building them under Lisc of Walther for a while now. They have a very sketchy review by many owners. You can tell the Smith at a distance because for some reason they elongated the hammer tang/beaver tail.

For those who don't know the PPK/s was created after the 1968 gun law. PPK did not make the cut as to size to be imported as a "sporting " gun. So Walther put a PPK slide on a PP frame and it was big enough to pass. That is why you can still find W. Geran PPK/s at fair prices but look for a PPK W.German and you can't find one that is not dated after 1968 and the price is 800 and up.

Interarms of the USA got the lisc. to build them here getting around the law. I bought one when my wife worked as a UPC data processor at Walmart back in the 80s. She got 10 percent off everything and they sold hand guns back then. Interarms were seen then as kind of the cheap cousin to the W. German version. Now there seems to be a view that Interarms are well built and desired. Although not to the level of the W. German version or Weimar or Nazi era guns. But its hard to find those in 380, 99 percent of those guns are 32acp. and more collectable than used for protection.

I am not trashing the Smith, but I would go with Interarms PPK, PPK/s or a W. German PPK/s. You get an extra round in the PPK/s because of the longer frame. Personally I am a stainless fan. I will take a SS gun over a blued every time.

If you want a Walter you will pay more for it than the Firestorm. If money is an issue I would go with the FS/Bersa. I have read some articles that say its a cheap gun. BS its only cheap in price compared to other gun. Its very high quality and well built. It is a bit thicker than the Walthers. If money is any issue at all and if you are like me maybe not carrying in some situations because you don't want to get sweat on a 450 + dollar gun then defiantly go with the FS/Bersa

I did a quick search on GB and once you get under 275 there seems to be a lot of bids. I would say hit the gun shows and shops. Keep and eye out on Armslist you may run across one that is fair priced. Seems all guns are affected by all the hoopla right now.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

The Bersa/FS are a tried and tested design. Based on the Walther/Mauser HSC I would trust it as much as any gun. In fact Walther's by Smith and Wesson have a bit of reputation with many people. I don't know if its real or not, I have never owned a Smith version. I did have an old Vietnam buddy who had three of them and never thought anything but great things about them.

Even the highpoint which is one of my most hated gun designs has a good reputation. I watched several videos where people tried to hate the gun but it did what it as supposed to do. Its just too ugly to like though. I would rather carry a knife. Not really but it makes me feel like it when I look at it.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:18 AM

You know I got to thinking last night [ I know dangerous] but if you want a cheap durable gun that does what its supposed to do with no frills, why not try some of the old Communist block guns? FEG PA63, Polish Radum ect. There are a bunch of guns that fit this bill, come in 380 and are very durable. I would keep away from the 9x18 Makarov. If you find a Makarov by any of the old Communist blocks in 380 go for it. 380 is 9x17 Makarov 9x18 and 9mm luger 9x19. Mak ammo is not as easy to find and seems to be expensive now. I had a Romanian Carpati in 380. Finish was not mirror but I paid 98 bucks for it and it shot like a champ. I also had a PA63 and it was a great gun. Thing is on most Com block guns the springs are very stiff. Not as smooth as the Walther but hey for 100 bucks if you can find one its a great deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting