U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 12:46 PM

16,400 posts, read 6,414,491 times

Advertisements

Not sure if anyone has heard about this, seems to be pretty descent, either way....

HotGunz Stolen Gun Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 04:18 PM

8,956 posts, read 4,141,032 times
Might not be a bad idea for future purchases that you haven't made yet, but I'd be wary of "checking" any guns you already have. What happens if it comes up stolen? What then? You could likely find yourself in some hot water. At best maybe you end up losing the gun you innocenntly bought.

Besides that, I think for the most part, when we buy a used gun, we are buying it from someone we know and trust.

I know I've bought guns from individuals before that I didn't really know all that well and kinda wondered about it afterword. I wouldn't do that now, but at the time and after thinking it through, I wouldn't have taken those guns to a dealer to make a trade because I didn't want to be responsible for what they "may" have been used for in the past. I'm much more careful about it now though after contemplating the risk.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:21 PM

20,718 posts, read 13,504,500 times
I would only check that though a couple of proxies.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,456,410 times
Hotgunz only works if the owner has listed it as stolen with them, it's not an official thing and not tied to any law enforcement database. Still a good idea, but useless if the victim of a stolen gun doesn't report them

Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 AM

I would be hesitant on checking guns already purchased, however, I still trade through a couple local face book clubs.....

HOWEVER, I will never trade with anyone unless they have a CC permit.

Here in Alabama you have to renew yearly with gets you another background check completed.....I get a front and back copy and keep them in my safe, just to be on the safe side.....

Old 03-26-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I would be hesitant on checking guns already purchased, however, I still trade through a couple local face book clubs.....

HOWEVER, I will never trade with anyone unless they have a CC permit.

Here in Alabama you have to renew yearly with gets you another background check completed.....I get a front and back copy and keep them in my safe, just to be on the safe side.....
So what you are saying is that you are for personal background checks before all gun purchases/transactions.

Not casting any apersions just an observation of your behavior.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
So what you are saying is that you are for personal background checks before all gun purchases/transactions.

Not casting any apersions just an observation of your behavior.
Are you willing to sell or buy a gun from a complete stranger, only communicaton has been through text/email?

But

Not really sure how you derived that from what I stated.....

I stated I will not trade with anyone who does not have CC permit....if they have a gun I want and they don't have CC permit, I don't get the gun...

If you are willing to buy/trade guns with someone you know nothing about...so be it, I don't have a dog in that race.....

How does that mean I want back ground checks for all gun purchases/transactions?

Old 03-27-2013, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Are you willing to sell or buy a gun from a complete stranger, only communicaton has been through text/email?

But

Not really sure how you derived that from what I stated.....

I stated I will not trade with anyone who does not have CC permit....if they have a gun I want and they don't have CC permit, I don't get the gun...

If you are willing to buy/trade guns with someone you know nothing about...so be it, I don't have a dog in that race.....

How does that mean I want back ground checks for all gun purchases/transactions?
Before 1991 in California there was no background check or dealer record for private gun transactions. I have several guns from before that period that I purchased and sold on the secondary market. As long as the gun was in a legal configuration and the serial number evident didn't bother me in the least.

The comfort that you feel in your process is the same logic used by gun registration and background check advocates to make themselves feel better about trying to control the "gunshow loop hole"

In essence you won't sell or buy from anyone that hasn't past some measure of government regulated vetting beyond simple identification.

Again I wasn't disparaging your methods just found it interesting as a corollary to the incrementalist controls being pushed by gun control groups.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Before 1991 in California there was no background check or dealer record for private gun transactions. I have several guns from before that period that I purchased and sold on the secondary market. As long as the gun was in a legal configuration and the serial number evident didn't bother me in the least.

The comfort that you feel in your process is the same logic used by gun registration and background check advocates to make themselves feel better about trying to control the "gunshow loop hole"

In essence you won't sell or buy from anyone that hasn't past some measure of government regulated vetting beyond simple identification.

Again I wasn't disparaging your methods just found it interesting as a corollary to the incrementalist controls being pushed by gun control groups.

Well, I call it Covering your ass (CYA).

FYI, I am against the universal back ground checks. I think you are really looinig to deep into why I do this, really.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Well, I call it Covering your ass (CYA).

FYI, I am against the universal back ground checks. I think you are really looinig to deep into why I do this, really.

I understand your perspective and wanting to have a trail of documentation just in case you get a knock on the door.

IMO I believe it's the same basic perspective or motivation by those wanting universal background checks.

Question? how effective are CCW permits? Do they keep criminals from carrying illegally? No, same as universal background checks won't keep criminals from getting guns.

How far are you willing to let the government intrude on your natural rights in the name of false security?

The only reason I am pushing this is because I've seen time and time again those in the RKBA community here in California accept small chips and erosions of their 2nd ammendment rights. All due to apathy, exasperastion and just plain giving up the fight.

This is exactly what gun grabbers want a UK style national policy on guns. It may not happen now but what about in your kids or grandkids life time?

Again I will repeat my mantra: NY and California gungrabbing laws coming soon to a state near you.

I just want people to think about how this comes about. Where do you, who are reading this, draw the line in the sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting