U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:28 AM

25,337 posts, read 16,290,366 times

Advertisements

The OP does bring up an interesting point that I am concerned about. In my state (Idaho) police can and do check if you have a CCW permit when they run your DL. I've been asked about mine when it lapsed, when pulled over for speeding (OK, a couple of times). Not in a threatening manner, more just informing me that it was expired and asking if I was carrying.

So, my question is, is the information on CCWs in my state's DMV database also shared with other states? Where could I find this out? My approach when traveling in other states is simply don't ask, don't tell. And don't consent to a vehicle search. But if LE in other states know I have a CCW, it does increase their reason to ask if I have a firearm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 09:38 AM

3,869 posts, read 12,505,578 times
As someone with a cc permit I bring my weapon with us where ever we travel.
If you have to put it in the trunk so what.
Even in a state that does not see your permit as valid does not mean your rights disappear.

The last thing I worried about is a cop running my plate.
and in most states your CC permit will not show up when they run your tags.
Take it with, be responsible and you will have no problems

Old 04-12-2013, 03:04 PM

9,796 posts, read 7,111,943 times
Some states like Mass. has laws against carrying mace without a firearms card and some states have laws concerning the style, fixed\ folding and length of knives. Legal in one state is totally banned in another.
If I were you I would either leave the gun at home or learn the laws of each state you will be travelling thru just in case. Does the NRA or Gun Owners Action League GOAL have anything on their websites about travelling with a gun?
It's a shame these United States in this day and age can't have standard no nonsense laws for the law abiding citizens to comply with.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:23 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,846,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Some states like Mass. has laws against carrying mace without a firearms card and some states have laws concerning the style, fixed\ folding and length of knives. Legal in one state is totally banned in another.
If I were you I would either leave the gun at home or learn the laws of each state you will be travelling thru just in case. Does the NRA or Gun Owners Action League GOAL have anything on their websites about travelling with a gun?
It's a shame these United States in this day and age can't have standard no nonsense laws for the law abiding citizens to comply with.
See my post #12 on page two.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:16 PM

4,101 posts, read 5,897,470 times
I have a small lock box bolted down under the seat of my pickup, and a tool box in the bed which is also bolted down. I don't think any cop is going to just stop you unless you violate some law. I carry a firearm with me, not matter where I'm going because no one is going to tell me I can't protect myself. If you do get stopped, answer questions about your driving, drivers license, and vehicle and insurance but I don't think they can make you discuss anything you don't want to talk about. I would tell them I'm not going to answer your questions unless my attorney is present. Don't lie, just don't talk. If they ask you to step out of your vehicle, do so, but lock it behind you and keep the key or remote control in your pocket. Don't leave your windows down and your doors unlocked when you exit the vehicle. Don't ever allow them to search your vehicle, no matter what. Just say "I don't submit to searches", then keep your mouth shut. Pay attention to what is going on around you and what time of day it is. Write notes on what happened if you plan on going to court, but don't ever tell a cop you will take him to court. If you have notes, you can appear to the judge to be as alert during the stop as the cop was. My lock boxes don't have combination locks, they have keys that I could have forgotten to bring with me.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 05-11-2013 at 07:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting