Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 06:21 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,715,707 times

Advertisements

Sig P238.

Accurate, reliable, reasonable cost, light recoil, easily concealed, and comes in many different colors and configurations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 10:41 PM

20,271 posts, read 37,040,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
There is a lot to be said for the .22 or .22mag in a small auto frame. Loaded with hollow points they are a very effective weapon for a lady.
Agree with you on this, and I would suggest a revolver on .22LR such as the Ruger LCR. No slide to load the chamber, and no safety. Just pull the trigger when you are ready to shoot

Old 04-04-2013, 12:47 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,642,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donald cherry View Post
yes a 22would be nice,anything is better than nothing
Don't sell the .22 short as a lethal weapon. Many , many people have died from the little .22 than any other caliber round.

The .22 is easy for a woman to handle in a panic situation. Loaded with hollow points the .22 can be a fist fill of mean and ugly in a crisis situation. If loaded into a rapid fire automatic the shooter can lay heavy fire into a target enough to stop the threat in it's tracks. The hollow points will make that rapid fire deadly.

Like any size gun......don't shoot someone unless you mean to kill them. If you can't do that then forget the gun.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:08 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,255,705 times
Quote:
The .22 is easy for a woman to handle in a panic situation.
Like every time I see this in threads it requires me to do the following...

What is it with people assuming that women can't manage larger weaponry? A 22 is easy for a man to handle in a panic situation too. So why specifically call out that it's easy for a woman to handle? What's your personal carry weapon? Because if I follow your logic I'd expect it's a 22LR semi-auto, however I suspect it isn't more likely at minimum 380ACP.

You know it's like 2013, and we have women being assigned into front line combat units in the US, and they've been doing it for decades in Israel. Do ya think they can handle their duty weapons? I mean sure there's still open questions about the ability to haul a 150lb pack and their personal gear across 20 miles of rough country in 8 hours, but not much question about weapon handling and accuracy, I don't see where the ability to grow a mustache and beard really applies to being able to handle firearms and shoot them accurately.

If you want to see a fist full of mean then please feel free to seriously ***** off my wife who's likely to respond with 9mm, 40S&W, 10mm, 45ACP, or even 454 Casull.

I personally would recommend that all gun owners can operate all handgun actions. Because you never know when you might just need to pick something up and use it, and if you don't know how to operate it, then whatever you pick up is as much use as a brick. There isn't a handgun slide made that needs muscles like The Rock to operate, most just need technique.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:57 PM

359 posts, read 1,097,470 times
we did rent a LCR 38 wheel gun 13oz ,kick like a mule...............

Old 04-04-2013, 05:33 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,801,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Like every time I see this in threads it requires me to do the following...

What is it with people assuming that women can't manage larger weaponry? A 22 is easy for a man to handle in a panic situation too. So why specifically call out that it's easy for a woman to handle? What's your personal carry weapon? Because if I follow your logic I'd expect it's a 22LR semi-auto, however I suspect it isn't more likely at minimum 380ACP.

You know it's like 2013, and we have women being assigned into front line combat units in the US, and they've been doing it for decades in Israel. Do ya think they can handle their duty weapons? I mean sure there's still open questions about the ability to haul a 150lb pack and their personal gear across 20 miles of rough country in 8 hours, but not much question about weapon handling and accuracy, I don't see where the ability to grow a mustache and beard really applies to being able to handle firearms and shoot them accurately.

If you want to see a fist full of mean then please feel free to seriously ***** off my wife who's likely to respond with 9mm, 40S&W, 10mm, 45ACP, or even 454 Casull.

I personally would recommend that all gun owners can operate all handgun actions. Because you never know when you might just need to pick something up and use it, and if you don't know how to operate it, then whatever you pick up is as much use as a brick. There isn't a handgun slide made that needs muscles like The Rock to operate, most just need technique.
I agree. I always see posts about what kind of gun is best for a lady and it seems like people assume that a tiny gun with a small caliber round is going to be the best. I can't imagine why that's necessary. My daughter goes to the range with me and has since she was 9. She can load and fire my 9mm baby eagle and my husband's 40S&W Glock. She doesn't have any problem with it jamming either...I think jamming in a semi-auto is caused by poor technique more than by a lack of strength.

Anyhow, I want to laugh when I see women acting like they just can't manage a regular-sized automatic..."oh, poor lil ol me, this gun is way too big to handle". I think of my 9 year old being able to manage it, my 9 year old who weighs less than 100 lbs and has tiny hands and very slender arms.

For the OP, when you're a woman, shopping for a gun is like shopping for anything else. Go to the store, look at them and pick out the one that looks the nicest to you. Hold it in your hand, see if it fits. Rack the slide, see if the safety (if equipped) and mag release are located comfortably for you. If you like you gun and you picked it out yourself, then you'll be happier with it than if your hubby chooses it based on what a bunch of guys' stereotypes are about what a woman can and cannot handle.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:47 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,255,705 times
Quote:
we did rent a LCR 38 wheel gun 13oz ,kick like a mule...............
You might want to try something with a bit more mass, the impulse from the cartridge firing will accelerate the gun in the opposite direction, the higher the mass of the firearm the more the impulse is spread out over time (F=ma)

For instance if we take a typical 380ACP loading of 90 grain JHP with muzzle velocity 1000 fps, the recoil velocity of a 13oz handgun is around 23fps (and 6.7 ft-lbf), a 16 oz handgun is around 18.5 fps (and 5.3 ft-lbf)an 24oz handgun is around 12fps (and 3.5 ft-lbf).

So in those figures the 24oz handgun has very manageable recoil, the 1lb gun has pretty manageable recoil and the 13oz has what you consider a "kick like a mule".

Obviously there's a useful limit on the weight of handguns, but lighter is not always better, you have to find a convergence point where the gun produces manageable recoil, while not being so heavy you cannot hold a bead on the target for more than a second or two without gasping for breath and breaking into a sweat.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:55 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,630,572 times
Quote:
my wife has a ruger 38 wheel gun for the house,and she wants a sa/da w/hammer auto w/safety,she did try my beretta px4 sub,and like it but she jam it up ,do to limp wristing......
A lot of that can be rectified by using a proper stance. We are not there with you so we can't say for sure what is going on, but in my experience most women hold a pistol like men hold a baby that has poop running down it's leg. In other words, they limply hold the pistol with one or two hands and arch their back way, way back like the pistol is going to pee on them.

Rather it's better to lean in slightly, roll your shoulder blades from up above down to a shooting position to create a vise with both hands.

The other thing that goes down is a bit of anticipating the recoil too much or flinching along with trigger control, it can take anyone a while to get used to the blast from a centerfire firearm. By doing so, it's like letting the gun do what it wants and go for a ride and instead you've got to be the boss.

Also the racking the slide issue comes up as well with women. In order for these pistols to function properly the recoil springs are usually pretty stout. Women often fail in this area because to rack the slide they pinch it with 2 fingers and try to pull it back. The way to do it instead is trigger finger hand on the pistol grip(finger off the trigger of course), other hand goes over hand over the back half of the slide past the ejection port in a firm grip with all fingers. Instead of only pulling back, push forward with the main pressure on the back strap, gun pointing down range of course.

Have a look at pictures of Tori Nonaka of Team Glock, she's not a big girl at all and handles a full size Glock just fine. There are plenty of photos of her competing in competitions and her stance while firing.

A lot of these issues women have with automatic pistols can be fixed with some outside professional instruction with an instructor used to working with women. And if not, a .38 revolver always works.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:06 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,630,572 times
Quote:
Don't sell the .22 short as a lethal weapon. Many , many people have died from the little .22 than any other caliber round.
Sure they have, just like .25 and .32 are also lethal, but often these are situations where they pass on minutes/hours/days later. If you are going to pull a firearm you need something ideally that will cause more traumatic stress and blood loss quicker on a perp that is probably hopped up on drugs or adrenaline.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:29 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,271,490 times
Carrying a .22 for defense is often advocated by those who have never had to fire a gun in defense, and have not trained for same, and have not thought out the process. Largest grizzly ever killed in Canada was killed by a woman, if I recall, with a .22 rifle. the bear stuck its head inside the window of her cabin, she put the muzzle in its ear, and killed it, one shot. So, yes a .22 WILL kill anything(and has). But there is a LOAD of difference between shooting a bear in the ear from contact distance, and killing a charging griz with a.22 rifle. Same dynamic with a SD gun. Sure, a .22 will kill a perp, especially if you stick the gun in his ear or eye socket and pull the trigger a few times. But that is hard to do on a hopped-up, moving, 200-lb. bad guy with a knife and an eye for pretty girls, in low light, under the most stress you have experienced in your life, while you are moving to avoid contact with the sweating, grunting animal. That is not the time to be trusting your trusty .22 to make that perfect shot. What you WILL want is the biggest chunk of lead, moving as fast as possible, doing as much damage as possible, that you can achieve center mass(or preferably central nervous system) hits with. Show me the woman, or man, who is comfortable with a .22 under those conditions. I dare you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting