U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 05:58 PM

48,226 posts, read 26,854,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I don't see a lot wrong with what he is saying. He's not calling for gun control, he's calling for the same thing a lot of gun advocates are calling for. He is saying that we should lead the cause for responsible gun ownership. He didn't say we need more laws or more restrictings, he is saying that we already have laws, but they need to be enforced.

it is embarrassing when something like Sandy Hook happens. A lawful gun owner was not as dillegent as she should have been. She knew that her son was not mentally stable and should have had extra precautions to prevent him from gaining access to her guns. Do you not agree that there was a short coming in her dillegence?
You also have to remember that the irresponsible actions of the mother of Adam Lanza, where she allowed her son to have access to the weapons he used in the Sandy Hook shootings, DO NOT speak for all of us law-abiding gun owners. No laws would have prevented the tragedy, let's focus on the problem of mentally disturbed individuals, not making more laws or banning certain types of weapons and high-capacity magazines, such means are as ineffective as putting a fire out with gasoline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 10:38 PM

18,697 posts, read 32,457,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
What gun law do you propose that would have prevented that?
Huh? You might want to reread my post, I didn't say anything about a law would have prevented anything.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 05-08-2013, 12:40 AM
Status: "Still here, but mensaguy is afraid to let me post" (set 14 days ago)

19,952 posts, read 10,544,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Huh? You might want to reread my post, I didn't say anything about a law would have prevented anything.
You are proposing more background checks, aren't you? Would those have helped?

Old 05-08-2013, 02:48 AM

7,331 posts, read 7,928,189 times
Mike Weisser doesn't exist; he's apparently the invention of a new and shadowy gun confiscation bunch called "Evolve" with the obvious connivance of Huffington. The purpose is simple, to divide us. We can already see foolish people here who are all too ready to embrace the philosophy of defeat.

I wonder where the supposed letter to Wayne LaPierre originated. The quotation is unattributed, not the first time this poster has used this tactic.

Please note that Evolve lists him as "' the gun guy at Evolve'". He is apparently a member of their staff.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:41 AM

383 posts, read 352,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Mike Weisser doesn't exist; he's apparently the invention of a new and shadowy gun confiscation bunch called "Evolve" with the obvious connivance of Huffington. The purpose is simple, to divide us. We can already see foolish people here who are all too ready to embrace the philosophy of defeat.

I wonder where the supposed letter to Wayne LaPierre originated. The quotation is unattributed, not the first time this poster has used this tactic.

Please note that Evolve lists him as "' the gun guy at Evolve'". He is apparently a member of their staff.
I tried to find him and his gun shop. Nothing. I ran across one obscure post that said he sold a gun shop. Other than that and I don't even know if its the same guy, I can't find anything but his rants on MSNBC and Huff and puff.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:51 AM

4,699 posts, read 6,388,908 times
No offense but you obviously didn't look too hard. He can be found on the ATF list of FFLs and a google search produced this: WMass gun shop owner looking for compromise on gun debate | WWLP.com

Old 05-08-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
No offense but you obviously didn't look too hard. He can be found on the ATF list of FFLs and a google search produced this: WMass gun shop owner looking for compromise on gun debate | WWLP.com
No I did not do anything more than a google search and this post did not pop up. Maybe it was new enough that the Google bots did not have it yet.

Now that said, go to his web site. Not very real if you ask me. Its a cheap made site with an email link. Nothing else. Looks strange to me. http://waregunshop.com/

Even if all is legit, IMO he is a sell out. If he wants to have more laws and does not like the NRA then stop selling guns and buy an ice machine and sell smoothies.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:18 AM

This guy also talks about "self control" that is the issue. He said its what stops bad behavior is self control. WTF does that even mean? How does that even fit into the discussion? Has this guy went off his meds?

Old 05-08-2013, 08:23 AM

48,226 posts, read 26,854,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post

It wouldn't surprise me if he was a person that was manufactured by the anti-gun crowd and the media to convince the public that some pro-gun individuals favor some form of gun control. After reading the parts of the article where Weisser referred to semi-automatic weapons as "Assault Weapons", and that he liked Obama and believed his deceptive rhetoric about how he "believes" in the Second Amendment and the rights of citizens to keep and bear arms, it really wouldn't surprise me if Weisser was their spokesman. Even if he really owned a gun store, he doesn't speak for everyone in the pro-Second Amendment crowd, he would be like a small plant in the middle of a large forest.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:46 AM

4,699 posts, read 6,388,908 times
Just because he has a bad website (and I agree) doesn't mean that he is not legit or that his point of view is less legitimate than yours. BTW, their Facebook page seems to indicate a pretty thriving training business, if nothing else.

I don't know what he's talking about with regard to self-control but I think the NRA has taken reasonable concerns about 2A infringements and inflated them to an absurdity. I support all they do for training and promoting safe gun handling but their political side is an embarassment even thought I agree with much of it. If we already have background checks for dealers (and internet sales), and laws that prevent any sort of federal gun registration (which I think the NRA supported), what is wrong with extending that to all sales of guns. In fact, it's amazingly stupid, in my view, that they enacted the current law but left so many gaping holes in the first place. Exempt family gifts, tighten down the straw purchases, make the database better , figure out a way to include those with mental health issues on the list, and enforce the laws! The FFL infrastructure already exists and it can grow. I see no infringement in this and it makes sense. Not one gun owner I know wants to sell a firearm to a person who shouldn't legally have one. The only way to assure that is to run them through a FFL.

I don't see why we can't agree that making the current law better is the right thing to do...not because it would stop mass killings but because it sense. Saying no to common sense just because you fear what might come next (again, a reasonable concern) just makes you/us look unreasonable in all regards. Deal with each issue separately and individually. Doing so might even get the left wing nuts to cool their jets and stop going for the gold every single time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting