Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 05:13 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times

Advertisements

You have to look at your particular firearm to see if you need a riser.

The problem with lesser priced Mounts is that many are made in china. They are usually die cast or low quality steel that break easily.

I acquired a used one so it didn't cost as much as retail, by Daniel Defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 AM

382 posts, read 588,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
You have to look at your particular firearm to see if you need a riser.

The problem with lesser priced Mounts is that many are made in china. They are usually die cast or low quality steel that break easily.

I acquired a used one so it didn't cost as much as retail, by Daniel Defense.
You make a valid point that is worth considering. The point made about transfer of vibration is BS as far as I can tell. Solid mount is solid mount and unless its mounted in rubber or some other absorption material it is not going to do any less transfer of shock.

The UTG is made from Aircraft aluminum. I read most of the reviews on many sights from Midway usa to Amazon, and they seem to be about 95% five star rated. I read one review on Amazon that the person who bought it said it was off center, and gave it a one star rating, but also he did several lines about how great YHM was.

On Midway usa it was 8 reviews on the UTG medium riser and all 8 were 5 stars. I will post them here instead of trying to paraphrase,

"Normally, I try to stay away from UTG products. But I purchased a Bushnell TRS-25 for one of my ARs and I didn't want to pay $100+ for a mount. This MEDIUM riser allows for absolute co-witnessing with fixed AR front sites. All-in-all, it works for what I need it to do. It's cheap and seems pretty solid so far"

"

I used this to mount a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on my Sig Saurer M-400. It works perfectly. Great height and the size is perfect! This is roughly the same size as the bottom of the TRS-25. Easy to remove/install, great on a rifle with BUIS's."

"Placed the Leapers UTG riser mount on my daughters GSG-5 22SD in order to lift her TRS-25 red dot above the factory sights. It was a perfect fit, and my little girl couldn't be more pleased."

"I bought this so I could cowitness with the Bushnell TRS25 red dot. I love the way it looks and feels really sturdy. I had to put more thread glue on it after a couple hundred rounds. No problems after that. Definitly the perfect little mount way under the price of something like a LaRue."

"This riser will allow co-witness to standard fixed front iron-sights with flip up rear sight on a flat top AR-15 upper. It also co-witnesses with a flip up gas block front sight and rear flip up on flat top AR-15 too. I am using it with a Bushnell TRS-25 Red Dot. The fixed sight picture is co-witnessed, relatively, through the lower portion of the Red dot sight, which is preferred for the best view of the target."

"Excellent value. They hold a red dot scope with absolutely no movement on our AR weapon in 7.62x39 Ru. You cannot see the sight through the base opening as some adds have suggested however. Wish they were made in the USA."

"This riser will allow perfect co-witness to standard ironsights on an AR15 with the Bushnell trophy red dot. Schweet!!"

"This is a very good and compact riser, the screws are small and concealed, I used it under a Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 Red Dot Sight. It makes it the perfect height."

I would post any of the neg comments but there are none on this mount. 8 5 star positive. It seems to me if it was a POS it would not have so high a rated posts.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:12 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutnfancy View Post
Its not difficult to understand. The Micro red dots Aimpoint or Bushnell trs25s will not be tall enough with just the standard mounts. They need a riser or you will just see the front post. If you can't seem to see it with out a photo here is one to show with the riser. All you have to do is see that if no riser is used you will just view post in the middle of the sight.
No need to get testy, I was just trying to figure out if you had a zeroing issue or a occlusion issue.

Your photo confirms that, yes, it's not designed for co-witnessing.

So how did you zero your red-dot?

Old 05-21-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
No need to get testy, I was just trying to figure out if you had a zeroing issue or a occlusion issue.

Your photo confirms that, yes, it's not designed for co-witnessing.

So how did you zero your red-dot?
Sorry if it came across that way. I was just trying to show you that on my flat rail with iron front sight I can not just mount the optic. I can use my optic as a co-witness on the AR but I have to have a medium riser. Not a problem, just a small part to fix it.

Designed? I don't think any AR is designed for any particular optic co-witness. As far as zeroing, I only have had one other red dot. I mounted it on my AK on a strike rail that takes the place of the rear sight. It zeroed in very easy. Bore sighted in at home, 3 shots at the range at 25 yds. then it was on target at 100 and a few clicks and it was shooting pie plate groups sitting position at 100, which is good enough for me on an AK.

I hope to do better on my AR because I can do that well with iron sights on an AR.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:49 PM

I received the UTG today. Put it on my Stag upper and it co witnesses perfectly. I did not even have to change one click to put it spot on with the sights. I have 60 rounds of Tula to burn up at the range. Next week.

Old 05-26-2013, 02:36 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Default Here's some (potentially) good info!

Some shoppin' options:

GG&G Tactical Rifle Accessories - Military & Assault Rifle Parts For Sale

BravoCompanyUSA.com

JT FAMILY OF COMPANIES (several mini risers of different heights.. Click on the Double Star link.)

The Mako Group - Military Grade Weapon Accessories and Equipment

Hopefully there may be some help for you here!

Of course if reasonable expense is not a deal-breaker, there's always this opgtion:

Dual Tactical Sight (DTS) Gen II 1-8x40 tactical sighting system from KRUGER OPTICAL

Spectacular, and just what the ballistics doctor (THE all-new & improved rifleman of course...) ordered. Just buy two and call me in the morning! (I've asked Kruger for a "retail" sell price. Probably a bit of a shocker., though it also will also NOT be in the prohibitively costly multi-thousands range: most likely in the $800+ range ($1000 - $1500? Guess guess..)

Info from the new, the improved... 12 shotz from hell! Without any sort of sighting system either! Practice, practice practice, eh guys?

The Rifleman 5th Season Theme Song Opener - YouTube

Old 05-27-2013, 07:12 PM

I just found a like new Bushnell TRS25 for my Benelli M2. It cost me $80. Even Nutnfancy would be proud of that price. However, if the riser that comes with it obscures my view of the ghost ring and front sight, I'll need one that does.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
I just found a like new Bushnell TRS25 for my Benelli M2. It cost me $80. Even Nutnfancy would be proud of that price. However, if the riser that comes with it obscures my view of the ghost ring and front sight, I'll need one that does.
Great buy. I received my second TRS25 and put it on my AR, after I received my riser. It was funny because I bore sighted it and it was spot on at 50 yds without even one adjustment. I am going to the range this week to run a few boxes through it.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutnfancy View Post
Great buy. I received my second TRS25 and put it on my AR, after I received my riser. It was funny because I bore sighted it and it was spot on at 50 yds without even one adjustment. I am going to the range this week to run a few boxes through it.
I don't know if I need to change the mount since I want to cowitness with the backup sights on my Benelli.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
I don't know if I need to change the mount since I want to cowitness with the backup sights on my Benelli.
There are several risers, from very low to high. My riser is a medium. I think it measured 3/4 of an inch. It cowitnessed perfectly without the first adjustment. How many times will that happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting