U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 03:22 PM

7,838 posts, read 7,827,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
The population of the UK was never armed and there has never been a gun culture in the sense that the USA has one.
THAT is a huge factor in the differences between the two countries.

Not to mention that after the labor union movement got into full swing the aristocrats were terrified of the common rabble acquiring firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Egerton View Post
I am not a sheep - I am 58 years old and have never seen a gun in my life, nor have the vast majority of English people, and I have no wish to see one. The only reason anyone would own a gun is if they wanted to kill people - end of story. Gun crime is very low in this country - it makes headline news. Our crime rates are significantly lower than those in the US, and continue to drop year on year. Our streets are generally safe to walk at any hour of the day or night, even in most urban areas - there are few, if any, no-go areas in my Country - can you say the same? Our system works for us, and it works very well - not long ago Baltimore police came to South Manchester to learn best practice, how our local force had sucessfully counteracted the gang culture whch had built up in that neighbourhood. It's probably true that our system would not transpose itself well to your nation, any more than yours would work in ours -the big difference is that ours works well enough that it is not even in debate, on the political agenda or in the media - we're happy as we are. The fact that you have this on-going debate shows that there are issues in your country which need addressing -it is your debate and argument, not ours.
I own a decent number of guns of all types in my collection, including antiques. I know a lot of fellow Texans & Americans who own guns (even some liberals), but have never heard anyone - not one - ever say they wanted to kill someone.

Your violent crime rates are much higher than ours, BTW.

Next time the Hun threatens to invade your little Island, don't expect American civilians to donate thousands of their personal firearms to your home guard.... again.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:35 PM

110 posts, read 131,321 times
Thank you for your assurances on visitor safety in your nation - (I think I started something here didn't I?) - it is a worry for visitors wishing to take in areas off the main tourist trail as some of our negative perceptions are so pervasive and, I suspect, rooted in the past, or even the long past. It doesn't help that, in one reputable guide book, written by an American, there is a reference to a whole region of one state where apparently you are not supposed to walk anywhere, and guns are prevalent - this is, of course, the area I am visiting, and most other sources of information tell me that it is absolutely fine, and everyone I have spoken to there has been absolutely fine (so what I am worried about?). Taking it further I wonder how much this negative perception impacts tourism outside the main tourist 'honeypots', and what can be done to dispel it.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:52 PM

Well, my locality rarely has a murder of any kind...and it's full of guns.

Of course your chances of being shot & killed in the US are a lot higher - particularly if you are a racial minority and member of the drug culture or a gang. That's why I'm a strong proponent of decriminalizing illicit drugs. The so-called "War on Drugs" is a total failure, just like our Prohibition experiment was in the 1920s.

The firearms murder rates among our demographic groups which are similar to those of the Europeans are almost as low as theirs. The worst rates are in large urban areas where there is more poverty and much stricter guns laws (places run by liberals).

Plus our firearms murder rates have plummeted in half over the past 20+ years, even though the number of guns has shot up (no pun...etc...) by maybe 5 million per year.

Besides, y'all only have your George III to blame for our "gun culture" and Second Amendment.

Last edited by ScoPro; 06-04-2013 at 04:05 PM..

Old 06-04-2013, 04:14 PM

But there is no reason, IMO, why a law-abiding citizen shouldn't have the right & the means to defend themselves, enjoy shooting at the range, on their property, or hunting.

For myself, I don't hunt, but do shoot at the range or out at my brother's ranch now & then.

Plus collecting old Colts & Winchesters is a fun hobby. Here are some Colts from my collection:

Some of my Winchesters:

Lots of history in some of those - used in the US War Between the States (The War for Southern Independence)... or more commonly, the Civil War.

Some were also used in the Mexican Revolution of 1914.

Anyway, I'm also a fan of shooting .45 ACP pistols - but I only tote the small Kahr CW45 at the bottom (during cooler weather):

Last edited by ScoPro; 06-04-2013 at 04:25 PM..

Old 06-04-2013, 04:47 PM

Am a big fan of Ruger firearms too, but sure would like to have Webley .455 to add to my collection.

And odd assortment of shotties , levers, and an evil "assault" rifles:

Had this Mauser 98K 8mm (my Dad liberated it from the Huns in '45) rebuilt into a nice .30-06 about 25 years ago. Never have fired it:

An old friend of the family (who flew The Hump in the China-Burma-India Theater during WWII) gave me his vintage Belgian Browning Safari .30-06 about 10 years ago. He had used it quite a bit on hunting trips to Alaska back in the day. Never have fired it either:

Last edited by ScoPro; 06-04-2013 at 05:15 PM..

Old 06-04-2013, 05:18 PM

Anyway, that's part of the collection. None of the modern guns have ever been used to hurt a soul, and never will be, God/Jehova/Allah/The Deity willing.

But according to your laws, I'd be locked up for life in some dungeon.

Over here in my parts, It's just a moderate assortment.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:46 PM

29,956 posts, read 34,568,659 times
Changing the topic briefly..... The evolution on losing your rights and the loss of Freedom of speech.

It's utterly amazing you can be arrested in England for wearing an "Offensive" T-Shirt or saying something that someone finds offensive.
After they lost their right to arm themselves they lost their right to speak freely.

A citizen can't stop a terrorist from slaughtering a solder with a concealed weapon,
then they can't protest because they might offend a Muslim.

They give away many of their rights they will never get back. Seems to be a great lesson there.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:50 PM

29,956 posts, read 34,568,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Egerton View Post
Guns are manufactured specifically to kill or disable, that is their purpose - that is hardly immature or ignorant, just a fact - how dare you! .
Ever done any skeet shooting or target practice ?
Do you also recall Guns are involved in the summer and winter Olympics ?

Old 06-04-2013, 08:03 PM

8,141 posts, read 5,707,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Ever done any skeet shooting or target practice ?
Do you also recall Guns are involved in the summer and winter Olympics ?
If I recall correctly, the British athletes that participated in handgun shooting sports had to train outside the UK (or at least in Northern Ireland).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting