Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 02:44 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
Port Charlotte, FL actually had a few boxes of 30-30 and CCI .22lr little by little avalibility is SLOWLY improving. I heard that our government is now buying up Russian surplus ammo, WHY?
I live in this area and the PC off of 41 and Kings Highway are two of my 4 I make a run to when looking. Punta Gorda seems to have more but it also seems to have a lot of people who will wait for it at 7am every day. I have driven to Arcadia to buy some, but its not really worth it now. I can get it on line easier and cheaper. I can buy 7.62 for 25 cents about what wally world charges for tula, and 22lr for 5 cents about the same as Walmart.

I hope this shooting at the navy ship yard does not spark another round of panic buying. I don't think it will,but the libs seem all to eager to try to push gun control agendas again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 10:31 AM

482 posts, read 1,233,832 times
This isn't about walmart, but more on availability in my area... The walmarts are empty, as they have been for about the past year now.

A Field and Stream store just opened in the area. On opening day, they would wheel pallets of ammo out every so often (9mm, 40, 45, 22lr, .223, 5.56) and limit the amount to 2-3 per customer. It still went pretty fast. A week later they still had stock of most ammo. Prices weren't the greatest, but it was in stock. Rumor is they were stock piling ammo months before the store opened so it would be available for customers.

I also stopped at a Dunham's Discount in the area and their shelves were pretty full with most calibers.

Gander Mountain is spotty with what they have around here.

I hope the availability keeps improving

Old 09-19-2013, 11:36 AM

5 posts, read 13,273 times
Default Ammo shortage

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
Just a quick survey of the status of Walmart having ammo back on the shelf's as an indicator to the shortage coming to an end or not. Please post general area you live in and and what the ammo shelf's look like and are .22lr back in stock, another good indicator.
I drive thru a few states every week; I carry a 45acp on my belt and a 9mm on the ankle. I make it a point to stop to buy ammo every time I see a Walmart. We'll I have strike out so many times on those calibers that I'm concerned. I was talking to an acquaintance of mine during breakfast at a rest. in Columbus Oh. He tells me he was number three in line to buy some ammo, when #2 guy reached the counter, he introduced himself to the store attendant with an ammo purchase number, the attendant ringed up a $7,550.00 dollars ((YES; seven thousands five hundred fifty USD) which he paid with some kind of "credit card" and then was directed to drive the vehicle to the rear of the building to be loaded on his vehicle. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE? (No stores were mentioned on this post; right??) *By the way NO 22's either !!

Old 09-19-2013, 12:57 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,163,440 times
Wal Mart has nothing but the popular calibers like 30-06 and 7mm, the usual rifle calibers. Those are in limited supply too.

However, my local BiMart has quite a bit of CCI standard velocity 22lr in stock. They are limiting purchases to 100 rounds of any caliber (or one box of 100+ rounds), so it's helping keep it in stock.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:22 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,178 times
The nearest Malwart finally has .223 as well as 12ga sabot slugs.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:51 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,352,662 times
No .

Old 09-21-2013, 08:16 PM

185 posts, read 405,508 times
There were a bunch of us at walmart at 6:45 this morning. Finally, the sporting goods guy showed up at 7:15, with a cart load of SHOTGUN shells, nothing else. They already have piles and piles of them sitting around the store; why in the world do they need MORE???

Went to a different walmart in a nearby city tonight. Of course, no .22, but they did have several brands of .40 S&W and .45 ACP, so at least the day wasn't a total washout

Old 09-21-2013, 08:24 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
You city guys have it made, running from WalMart to WalMart. If my WalMart doesn't have ammo, it's 140 miles to the next WalMart.

I have given up on the local WalMart. At the beginning of the shortage, they kind of kept up. Then about 3 months into it, they put up a sign that said, "No ammo" and their shelves have been bare since then. Nothing but a few rifle and shotgun shells. I kind of give the guy a bad time, I asked to look at a rifle he had. He got it out and let me look it over. I told him I'd take it, with 10 boxes of ammo. He said, "We don't have any ammo for it." I said, "Oh, then I certainly don't need it if I can't shoot it." He said, "Well, you can run over to Shipton's and get ammo." I said, "If I go over there, I'll buy the gun from them too, they have a lot better selection." And I walked out.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:05 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
You city guys have it made, running from WalMart to WalMart. If my WalMart doesn't have ammo, it's 140 miles to the next WalMart.

I have given up on the local WalMart. At the beginning of the shortage, they kind of kept up. Then about 3 months into it, they put up a sign that said, "No ammo" and their shelves have been bare since then. Nothing but a few rifle and shotgun shells. I kind of give the guy a bad time, I asked to look at a rifle he had. He got it out and let me look it over. I told him I'd take it, with 10 boxes of ammo. He said, "We don't have any ammo for it." I said, "Oh, then I certainly don't need it if I can't shoot it." He said, "Well, you can run over to Shipton's and get ammo." I said, "If I go over there, I'll buy the gun from them too, they have a lot better selection." And I walked out.

COOL....

Old 09-27-2013, 10:32 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Went into town today so I made it a point to go to WalMart and check out the ammo. Good thing I went to town for other things. NOTHING. Shotgun shells, a couple boxes of .44 ammo and that was it.

So I went to Shipton's (local tractor supply type store that happens to be the largest gun store around). Anything you wanted was setting on the shelf and I didn't see any signs for limits. I was after .270, .25-06, .30-06, and picked up all I needed. They had 10-12 different brands, with 3 or 4 different weights in each brand. I was so busy picking out deer/antelope/elk cartridges, I didn't even look to see what they had for .22lr. They had several bricks with 3 or 4 different brands, but I didn't pay any attention to exactly what they had. But I would imagine there was anything you wanted, or at least, something you could get by with. When I got home, I compared the new ammo prices with boxes I bought last season (2012) and all boxes were within $2-3 dollars of what they were last year. Boxes of 20 rounds. They run me $24-27 a box, depending on which brand I wanted. Typical, I have one gun that spits Winchesters better than anything else, and another gun that spits Springfields better. One that shoots 150gr better than 180's and another that shoots 180's better than 150's.

The important part is, I'm set for Deer/Antelope and Elk for this year....... unless I miss a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting