Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 06:45 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,877,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I have an NAA single action revolver. It's about the size of a set of keys. I like how small and compact it is. I can conceal it in anything.

How effective would it be for self defense?

Going thru this process my self I would recommend a compact 9 MM (S&W-Glock)with hollow points for intruder ammo. Plus they are easy to shot and is a great way to escape from life on the gun range.

If you are looking for something simple stupid a 37 snub nose revolver is full proof and will get the job done. Use Hollow points to even up the stakes.

You should get your concealed permit and do some formal training ,if you had not al ready. Finally "You have to be comfortable with any side arm and practice loading, immediate action (jam) and unloading as well.

Be sure you have a family emergency plan just in case. Do not be a Hero! You just want the intruder to exit your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 07:20 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,721,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Going thru this process my self I would recommend a compact 9 MM (S&W-Glock)with hollow points for intruder ammo. Plus they are easy to shot and is a great way to escape from life on the gun range.

If you are looking for something simple stupid a 37 snub nose revolver is full proof and will get the job done. Use Hollow points to even up the stakes.

You should get your concealed permit and do some formal training ,if you had not al ready. Finally "You have to be comfortable with any side arm and practice loading, immediate action (jam) and unloading as well.

Be sure you have a family emergency plan just in case. Do not be a Hero! You just want the intruder to exit your home.
Thanks. I have been carrying different guns for the past several years.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-04-2013, 09:50 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,099,078 times
Quote:
I have an NAA single action revolver. It's about the size of a set of keys. I like how small and compact it is. I can conceal it in anything.

It would be very foolish on your part to believe this firearm has ANY value in self defense. I have one of these also, and while it is cute, and easy to conceal it is also impossible to reload with five rounds once it is fired. You do have to disassemble it to reload it, but you already know that. After you fire five shots you no longer have a gun, you have something in your hand that isn't big enough to use as a club, you have nothing. I have a S&W 351PD which is a small 7 shot J Frame 22 magnum revolver. I don't think it would make a decent self defense gun, because the bullet size and weight is too small to be an effective deterrent against a human. The American Rifleman magazine had a detailed story about the findings of studies done with a 22 magnum in a recent issue. They found the cartridge and bullet is not effective in stopping an aggressor. Using an ineffective cartridge in an almost worthless firearm is pure foolishness.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:54 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,099,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Down_Below View Post
It's "rimfire"......yikes!

Centerfire with primer only please.

Yes, I would take a .25 acp/.32 acp OVER a .22 LR/MAG ANYDAY.

It was designed for "hand guns" and self defense.

"Rimfire" was NOT!
Please give this some serious thought, almost anything is better than a 25 Automatic, a squirt gun is the exception. A 22 lr, or 22 mag is far better. As one posted noted hitmen use 22lr, and while that is true, it is also true that hitmen usually shoot their victim in the back of the head. That is a shot you wouldn't get the chance to make on an intruder in your home, especially if he surprised you when entering. Diamondback Firearms makes a 9MM that is just slightly larger than a Keltec 380, it fits well in a back pocket and is something you can have with you 24/7. While a 9 MM leaves something to be desired for self defense, it is better than a 380.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 10-04-2013 at 10:10 PM..

Old 10-07-2013, 08:13 AM

18,155 posts, read 15,593,513 times
Quote:

I had one of these. It waz a helluva noisemaker, but not much else. The performance of the 22mag is severely diminished in short barrels. It's a mid distance rifle round for smallish varmints. Up to coyotes, though I know mountain lion hunters that swear by it.

The noise those little NAA guns make is considerable. An attacker is going to think you have a far larger gun. Lol, which can be an effective defense. It's better than no gun at all, which has been said already. But, it won't decisively stop a determined attacker.

Old 10-07-2013, 12:17 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,573,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
It's better than no gun at all, which has been said already. But, it won't decisively stop a determined attacker.
All of the accounts I've read indicate that attackers try to flee after being shot anyplace. Most, perhaps nearly all, flee at the mere sight of a gun. The citizen isn't a cop who will pursue them and they know this. They want to get away.

A .22 magnum can easily effect the demise or stopping of a miscreant. It's the largest gun we can carry safely in places where carry is illegal. For those of us who refuse to get government permission slips that means most places. I carry a gun with more of a bulge but I can do it legally which is convenient. However, there's a little NAA in .22 magnum on my person as well. It's the first gun that the tyro should get. It's a gun for the gun man or woman.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:25 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,346,265 times
A lot of misinformation being thrown around as fact . I once watched EMS working on a guy that had been shot dead center in the chest with a .22 long rifle . He was flat on his back and was going into shock . People that say a .22 mag wont stop a bad guy are probably wrong most of the time . ( This is not taking into account the round being fired from a NAA toy pistol though .)

Old 10-08-2013, 05:13 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,000,582 times
as an admitted newbie gun owner though I have been around and shot various guns for years, i'd think a .22 round (lr or mag) could be effective but accuracy would be more critical then with a larger caliber round. The .22 can provide a mortal shot if desired, but it likely wouldnt have the knock-down potential that the larger ammo would have. So if one is not highly trained and able to remain calm under extreme circumstances, the .22's may not be the way to go.
Heck i only own .22lr pistols and only shoot for fun, but if self defense was a concern i would go with something larger to give me more confidence (if that's the right term to use).

Old 10-08-2013, 07:23 AM

18,155 posts, read 15,593,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
All of the accounts I've read indicate that attackers try to flee after being shot anyplace. Most, perhaps nearly all, flee at the mere sight of a gun. The citizen isn't a cop who will pursue them and they know this. They want to get away.

A .22 magnum can easily effect the demise or stopping of a miscreant. It's the largest gun we can carry safely in places where carry is illegal. For those of us who refuse to get government permission slips that means most places. I carry a gun with more of a bulge but I can do it legally which is convenient. However, there's a little NAA in .22 magnum on my person as well. It's the first gun that the tyro should get. It's a gun for the gun man or woman.
I believe I touched on the intimidation aspects. I have experience with the NAAs, and the 22 mag in various platforms. The NAA mini revolvers are classic "belly guns". The one I had was worthless past ten feet, accuracy wise. But, its muzzle blast was on a par with a four inch 357. Quite impressive, especially in low light.

I would not count on a mini NAA to "effect the demise" of a determined (operative word)attacker, in a manner expeditious enough to keep him from doing serious damage. At the ranges you could actually place a bullet in him with one of these guns, he's already damn near got his hands on you. The NAAs are also hard to manipulate, for me anyway, because of their diminutive size, and the requirement for manual cocking of the hammer for each shot.

Don't mistake my intent here. I'm not trying to bash the platform, or demean people who use it. It has advantages and disadvantages, and if one is staking their life on something, the disadvantages are what need examined. Knowing the limitations of your weapon is far more important than knowing its strengths.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:48 PM

12,937 posts, read 13,282,304 times
My first carry gun was this Mini Magnum:

Graduated to a Kel-tec P32, then a Kahr PM9 (gave that one to my son), then an LCP which I tote 90% of the time. If I'm wearing a jacket, it's the Kahr CW45.

The Mini would be nothing but a "get off me" gun nowadays.

It's still a neat little thing and a hoot to shoot. It has always gone BANG, even with old ammo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting