Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 10:08 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,185,704 times

Advertisements

There is one vendor I used to swear by in the pre-Sandy Hook days. After that happened, the owner of the store raised his prices by as much as 400%! What the hell? The only things he didn't gouge on was cleaning supplies. Everything else, though, was fair game. 8rd Glock magazines of any caliber are usually less than $20 in my neck of the woods, if you know where to go. He had 8rd magazines listed at $95! Don't even get me started on the ammunition and magazines that could hold 10 or more rounds. Now he wonders why he seems to have been blacklisted by his own community. What goes around comes around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 01:59 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,591,623 times
No such thing as "price gouging".

Sellers are free to charge whatever they want. You are free to not purchase or counter-offer.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:36 PM

12,941 posts, read 13,307,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post

Sellers are free to charge whatever they want. You are free to not purchase or counter-offer.
Yes there is, and yes they can, but they shouldn't be surprise to hear about irate customer backlash.

I stated a clear case of unethical gouging by CTD. Any business that engages in such practices deserves to be labeled as such. No slander at all. Piggish behavior earns the reputation.

The purpose of this thread is to ask whether or not posters would continue to do business with gougers (the word is in the dictionary for a reason).

It appears that most here would not and some would.

The recent months are a stain on that particular business's reputation which won't go away with many who bear a grudge. That's just too bad, but there are other vendors who are more customer friendly and will gain from CTD's loss.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Yes there is, and yes they can, but they shouldn't be surprise to hear about irate customer backlash.

I stated a clear case of unethical gouging by CTD. Any business that engages in such practices deserves to be labeled as such. No slander at all. Piggish behavior earns the reputation.

The purpose of this thread is to ask whether or not posters would continue to do business with gougers (the word is in the dictionary for a reason).

It appears that most here would not and some would.

The recent months are a stain on that particular business's reputation which won't go away with many who bear a grudge. That's just too bad, but there are other vendors who are more customer friendly and will gain from CTD's loss.
They can charge $2,000 for a mag and you can not buy it.

Free market economics for the win.

If you disagree with past pricing and wish to no longer patronize based on this, that is your right. But they were never "gouging" you, they were charging what the market would bear. If no one was buying them at 99/each they would not sell them at 99/each for very long. Obviously someone was buying them so it behooves the seller to maximize their profit.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:34 PM

21 posts, read 37,825 times
Quote:
Will you go back to vendors that over charged during the frenzy?
Cheat me once, shame on you. Cheat me twice, shame on me.

Nope! I doubt I would give them business after price gouging customers during the recent ammo and firearm scarcity situation.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:58 AM

12,941 posts, read 13,307,648 times
Quote:
They can charge $2,000 for a mag and you can not buy it.

Free market economics for the win.

If you disagree with past pricing and wish to no longer patronize based on this, that is your right. But they were never "gouging" you, they were charging what the market would bear. If no one was buying them at 99/each they would not sell them at 99/each for very long. Obviously someone was buying them so it behooves the seller to maximize their profit.
Then please explain why there is such a word as "gouging" in the first place? You can argue semantics all day if you like, I don't care.

Nobody gouged me personally because I already have a sufficient "inventory". However, there are still many individuals, newbie gun owners, home defenders, private security personnel, hunters, competition shooters and the like, who got caught unawares of the hoarders & speculators driving up the prices.

The new gun owners I kind of felt sorry for, but not so much the "seasoned" shooters - because they should've been stocked up for the long run in the first place.

So businesses that took advantage of the mindless panic shouldn't whine if many of their patrons decide to boycott their greed and choose to shop the vendors that didn't jack up their prices.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:19 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,825,509 times
I sure as h*ll won't! I go into the "mart" store but only once or twice a year. They were the ones to take guns and ammo off the shelf the day of 9/11. They wouldn't see me ever in there but they sell the only style of shoe and I have to try them on before I buy them.
Walmart will get my business always, not the other "mart" store so much. We have two large sporting goods here (one nation wide, the other state wide) and if you see me in one of them I either can't wait until I get what I want through the mail or I am there to spend my credit card rewards at one of them. I won't go into about half of the gun dealers stores here either for various reasons. I will go with out or spend more somewhere else. But I don't forget bad service or lies from someone. I don't forgive and remember.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:26 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,350,176 times
I only deal with a couple of mail order places and neither of them " gouged " anybody near as I can tell .

Old 11-10-2013, 09:35 AM

21 posts, read 37,825 times
Quote:

With your line of thinking then there is no such thing as "customer loyalty."

Old 11-10-2013, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Then please explain why there is such a word as "gouging" in the first place? You can argue semantics all day if you like, I don't care.
Again, the prices reflect what the market will bear. I'm not sure why this so hard for you.

If people were selling mags mags at 99/each and people were buying them at 99/each then thats what they were worth to the buyer.

If you found that price too high then you made a decision that they weren't worth it to you at that point so you did not buy any. If enough buyers make this choice the price will go down until a mutually equitable price point is reached.

gouge
gouj/Submit
noun
a chisel with a concave blade, used in carpentry, sculpture, and surgery.
an indentation or groove made by gouging.

Guess that's why the word exists in the first place.

Quote:
Nobody gouged me personally because I already have a sufficient "inventory". However, there are still many individuals, newbie gun owners, home defenders, private security personnel, hunters, competition shooters and the like, who got caught unawares of the hoarders & speculators driving up the prices.
A failure to plan on your part is not an emergency on the part of someone else.

No one needed to "run out" and buy an AR-15 after Sandy Hook. A mass panic drove up prices; not sellers.

Quote:
So businesses that took advantage of the mindless panic shouldn't whine if many of their patrons decide to boycott their greed and choose to shop the vendors that didn't jack up their prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfynn View Post
With your line of thinking then there is no such thing as "customer loyalty."
Supply and demand gentlemen, supply and demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting