U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 05:49 PM

537 posts, read 519,521 times

Advertisements

Dagnabbit!! Should've known it was too good to believe.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:46 PM

765 posts, read 652,106 times
Whatever, it should put a scare to those cowards as what could happen. As a conceal carry I'm aware of my surroundings and I avoid areas that doesn't look right and that includes crowds.

I'm 63 and probably an easy mark for them. Be too bad they find out the hard way when they receive the hot .40 hollow points.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:36 PM

537 posts, read 519,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeGer View Post
Whatever, it should put a scare to those cowards as what could happen. As a conceal carry I'm aware of my surroundings and I avoid areas that doesn't look right and that includes crowds.

I'm 63 and probably an easy mark for them. Be too bad they find out the hard way when they receive the hot .40 hollow points.
I'm not an easy target, either. Too big and healthy-looking. Nevertheless, I'm always ready. Waiting. Lawyer on speed dial. Still waiting . . .

Old 01-07-2014, 06:54 AM

624 posts, read 769,538 times
The story was unbelievable and turned out to be false.

snopes.com: 93-Year-Old Grandma Kills 'Knockout Game' Thug

I am actually not sure how a gun would protect this woman. If she were knocked out, at her age she could have been killed (even if she were younger, she could have been killed). Worse, the suspect could have gotten her gun and could have shot her with it.

On the other hand, if the lad saw the attackers before hand, and decided to pull the trigger on the assumption that she will be knocked out, wouldn't she be committing murder?

I just don't see how a gun helps in these situations. I'm not anti-gun by any means, but I don't see how it can be helpful in the knockout assaults, where the victim often never sees the punch coming.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:49 AM

48,313 posts, read 26,937,446 times
Well, it's natural for anti-Second Amendment folks to say this story is false. Nobody has proven the falsehood of this story.

Regardless of what the truth is, having a weapon will definitely reduce my chances, if not eliminate them, of being a victim of a crime.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:51 AM

15,148 posts, read 15,991,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Nobody has proven the falsehood of this story.
Actually...
Quote:
Itís interesting to note that a St. Louis police detective named, Paul Horner, appears in the in the phony story. The St. Louis Police Department says it has no record of a Gladis Bennett as a crime victim and the department says it has no employees by the name of Paul Horner.
Here's a page with a post from September which uses the same image:
The Old Reader

Here's a page in Arabic that's apparently showcasing old American ladies with guns - same pic:
?????? ???? ??? ????? ??? ????????

Another in Greek:
Ľ kazani.gr

Blog post from 2011 using the same pic:
Stop or Grandma Will Shoot | Wicked Report

Apparently the same woman is both 93 (current story) and 72 (this story):
*VIDEO* Gunslinging granny, 72, shoots at intruder | The Libertarian Republic

Sorry, Mike, but it's definitely a hoax. I thought that I'd seen that pic before, and I have.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:52 AM

25,632 posts, read 25,553,248 times
Quote:
Well, it's natural for anti-Second Amendment folks to say this story is false. Nobody has proven the falsehood of this story.

Regardless of what the truth is, having a weapon will definitely reduce my chances, if not eliminate them, of being a victim of a crime.
I've given Thousands of dollars in California and Nationally since the 1980's to RKBA legal and political causes.

THIS is a FALSE story and is not needed in our fight for 2nd ammendment rights in this country.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:38 AM

624 posts, read 769,538 times
Quote:

If this lets you sleep better at night, then go ahead and keep telling this to yourself. Do you think criminals like to announce their intentions?

Old 01-07-2014, 12:14 PM

765 posts, read 652,106 times
True, only situation awareness reduces your chances. A gun is secondary.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:00 PM

7,405 posts, read 8,009,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I've given Thousands of dollars in California and Nationally since the 1980's to RKBA legal and political causes.

THIS is a FALSE story and is not needed in our fight for 2nd ammendment rights in this country.
I know that you are one of my few fellow Second Amendment absolutists on this forum and I almost always agree with you. But I firmly believe that inspiring tales need not be true; they just need to motivate. I'm sure that somewhere out there lives an aged lady who did kill a miscreant and who is unknown. Perhaps she lived where she dared not report it; perhaps she simply didn't wish to inconvenience herself.

Maybe the article encouraged another elderly lady or not so elderly lady to arm herself; maybe it encouraged a man or boy to stop walking the road of fear. The message of the story is true. Having a gun makes the physically weakest person stronger than the most physically powerful thug. Colt once promulgated a rather clever little couplet:

Whoever the foe, no matter the size,
Call on me; I will equalize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting