U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 07:12 PM

42 posts, read 63,029 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a boat load of ammo for my 12gauge and wondered what type brand and specifics about ammo would best be suited for self defense outside the home?

Currently it's loaded alternating between slug, buck shot, slug, buck shot etc. Is this a bad way to load a shotgun will it damage the gun to fire it this way?

I'm looking to buy atleast 1K rounds of shotgun shells so want the best bang for my buck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 07:43 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,598,557 times
135 per 250 rounds of 2 3/4 12 ga buck. You can maybe find it cheaper but this is a good start.

250 Rounds of Bulk 12ga Ammo 9P by Sellier & Bellot - 00 Buck

Old 01-15-2014, 09:16 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,226,971 times
You'll need to see what the shotgun will do for a pattern. Set up a piece of cardboard about 20 ft away and test fire the gun. Try some #2, or Buck and see what kind of spread you get. Either one will definately stop an intruder. A lot of people will recommend slugs. If you are going to shoot slugs, use a rifle. Both have only one projectile and it's easy to miss in the heat of the battle. The idea of using a shotgun is to get that spread. You are not going to have time to shoulder the weapon and sight down the barrel. Chance are you are going to have to shoot from the hip, or while peeking around a corner. So you want lots of projectiles, and you want a decent amount of spread.

I have a 20 guage that I use #4 shot in. It gives me the best spread and the best pattern for what I use it for. So try out a couple different shells on some cardboard and see what "your gun" does.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 01-15-2014, 09:51 PM

82 posts, read 132,093 times
Cops sometimes use the alternate slug/buckshot sequence but it's likely because they have no idea the environment/distance they may have to engage a target...But for home defense, I'd rather NOT use slugs...If it's only for home defense, 00 buck is hard to argue with...If you're using a barrel with changeable chokes, make sure you're not using a full/extra full choke on your slugs...Use IC only...And for best results using a smooth bore barrel, do not use sabot rounds...Just use good ole rifled slugs

Old 01-16-2014, 09:08 AM

2,802 posts, read 2,195,363 times
It depends on the distance you will need it for and the length of the barrel of the shotgun and if it has a choke on it or not. For 18 or 20 inch riot guns I use 000 buck for self defense.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:44 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,598,557 times
I like 00 buck, in 2 3/4. You don't need a cannon at short range and unless your a there will be blood oil tycoon home owner your distances will not be more than 20 feet. Anything more than that and your at risk of not being in a defensive but offensive situation. Anything can be used in court also, if you use a tactical shotgun to Magnum shells. Even in your in the right a civil case can use it as you wanted to kill not defend. 2 3/4 shells are fine for SD in the home. Less risk of going through a wall and into the yard or neighbors home if you live in a sub.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:12 AM

445 posts, read 1,331,104 times
Shotgun Ammo and more Shotgun Ammo! ShotgunWorld.com is Your Best Source for Shotgun Info on shotgun ammo.

This is not the chart I used, but it gives the same info... I decided on #4 Buckshot because of the pellet size and number of pellets.. I also found out at the range that "Dr. Mossberg" would not cycle 3" shells correctly every time... So my choice is 2 3/4 #4 Buckshot... If you have a place to shoot without restrictions - try shooting at an old hollow core door, gives a good idea of the scatter and penetration..

Old 01-17-2014, 10:30 AM

2,772 posts, read 3,639,074 times
This is the best page I know of to check when comparing shotgun penetration:
Shotgun Penetration With Various Rounds | The Truth About Guns

Basically, the larger the pellet the longer the range (heavier pellets carry more energy farther away) and deeper the penetration (through heavy clothes/fur, skin, muscle, and bone to get to the vitals). The smaller the pellet the more wounding potential (no. pellets x diameter x penetration). Birdshot pellets create massively destructive wounds, but not enough penetration to reach vitals. Large buck pellets can penetrate completely through a body, but you have limited wound channels. The trick is to find the correct balance for your situation.

In my opinion:
- For close defense inside a house where there is a danger of hitting friendlies through walls, I say a max size of lead BB or #2 bird.
- For close defense inside with no friendlies, then go up to #4 buck.
- For close-in shooting outside (i.e., legal "imminent danger" self defense), then #1 buck gives more range and penetration (through heavy coats, fur, etc.) than #4 and significantly more wounding potential than 00. Everything I've read and seen says #1 buck is the best available for civilian short/medium range defense.
- For general purpose hunting and end-of-the-world isolated homestead defense (no police involved) then 00 Buck is the standard go-to. It's also one of the cheapest to buy in bulk because it's the go-to round for most US police and the military. The relatively new Federal Flight Control or Hornady Superformance shells are more expensive but they have special wads that significantly tighten up the groups at longer ranges.
- A slug is the biggest chunk of lead available for a shotgun. A slug will go through any wall that isn't solid brick or stone, and there is no need for this excessive penetration at short defensive ranges (unless you're shooting at a bear). For a standard rifled Foster or Brenneke slug you can go out to about 100 yds. With a balistic-tip sabot slug in a rifled barrel you can reach 200yds+. But at those ranges you are really stretching to call it "defense". If you need a slug at home then you have time to switch to a rifle.

Last edited by jwkilgore; 01-17-2014 at 10:51 AM..

Old 01-17-2014, 02:36 PM

42 posts, read 63,029 times
My shotgun is a pistol grip mossberg 12g pump action w/ a pistol grip for pump part as well, basically I wanting to know for outside purposes something that would stop not only a person in their tracks but anything upwards of a bear as well

Does anyone know about the shells that have both pellets and slugs are they a good mix. If I have to shoot I want to kill and stop what ever it is coming for me.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:24 PM

2,802 posts, read 2,195,363 times
Shotgun slugs will usually do the job but even then a friend who was a police officer pumped all the slugs he had into a perp as a few other officers emptied their handguns into him, yet the perp ran a whole block with all those holes in his body before collapsing. No round is a sure kill for a person or animal when they are filled with rage or on drugs unless you hit and destroy the brain, brain stem or explode their heart so no blood pumps to the brain but even then with the heart exploded a person might be able to shoot back for a few seconds before his brain stops functioning.

Brain or brain stem shots are the best one shot stop and those are hard to do on a bear charging at you or on a moving person. The best way to win a gun battle is to not get in one.

Oh and my shotgun is a pistol grip 8 shot Ithaca that I have had for more year than I care to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting