Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 12:48 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,470,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If you are able to keep an accurate count, you probably don't have enough.
This^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 02:05 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,122 times
Pretty much what sax said, I have full boxes in different jackets and calibers, and a few full magazines, but I try not to have loose rounds, I actually sucked up one in the vaccum cleaner once!

Old 03-13-2014, 09:19 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
What mark said.

I don't reload (yet), but I save my cases for when I do start in the future. I do have a rough idea of how many bullets I have on hand, and I also keep a rough count of empty cases. But the empties are counted as raw materials, not as a finished product.

When I do start reloading I will probably keep a separate total. Something like:
'x' rounds, 9mm practice
'y' rounds, 9mm defense
'z' rounds equivalent, 9mm primers, powder, bullets, and empty cases (only require putting together)
'zz' rounds equivalent, 9mm primers, powder and bullets (will re-use cases from above)

Until they are ready to fire, the quantities in 'z' and 'zz' should not be in the same category as 'x' or 'y'. For one, it will take time to assemble, for another, you might use the same powder and primers for a different caliber.

But you should definitely keep track of how much of each you have, if nothing more than to keep your inventory from getting out of balance. Several hundred pounds of powder is useless if you only have a few dozen primers.
It'll never "balance", and counting it all gets really old, really fast if you're reloading - it's not hard to acquire mass-quantities of components, just to reduce shipping costs -I.E. -124 grain 9mm projectiles come in a box of 3,750 (flat rate box) prolly want a couple boxes, right? and you probably shoot & reload for more than one caliber... Powder & primers have a hazmat fee per shipment of about $27 (might be a little off on that), so it doesn't make sense to order one box of primers and one pound of powder..

9mm brass is best "counted" by the pound or the bucket / barrel / dumpster full.. that's how the army sells it off.. don't pay much for 9mm brass, the ammo crunch is over for now..

Old 03-14-2014, 06:02 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,464 times
Well it used to be easy. I picked up 2000 rounds of 9mm 115 and 125 gr copper jacket for 110 bucks a while back but after SH every one thinks they have silver bullion. I see people trying to get 75 bucks for 500 brass 223 empties on Craigslist. I go to a lot of flea markets and see old Lil ralcle riders trying to pimp 10 bucks a box for the same Tula 7.62 they buy at walmart. Then they get mad if someone says they can pick it up at walmart for 5.24 a box. I have not checked to see if reloading has come back into supply yet. I suspect that most re-loader's will be stocking up for a time yet. I don't count my unloaded ammo in my tally either. I keep a hidden excel list of what I have or as close as I can. I know its off some but gives me a close idea. I also don't count what I buy for shooting in the next bit, or have reloaded to shoot in the next bit. I just got another box of 22lr Blazer and will not add it in as I will keep it for plinking.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:10 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If you are able to keep an accurate count, you probably don't have enough.
I agree and disagree at the same time. I disagree because one of the reasons I keep a count is to help me prioritize ammo purchases. That is the reality I live in: a constrained budget. I can't always buy everything I want when I want it, so I have to pick and choose. Having an idea of the health of my inventory of one type vs another helps me decide what to buy and when.

I agree because I firmly understand the general thrust of what you're getting at. A good friend of mine always says, "There's no such thing as enough .556!" I agree. I don't think I'll ever "lose count" of how much I have because my brain is just not wired that way. But I do get what you're saying.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:50 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
I don't reload. I do keep my brass and recycle it along with scrap copper from work. I wouldn't count it with my ammo count because its technically not ammo.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:17 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I don't reload. I do keep my brass and recycle it along with scrap copper from work. I wouldn't count it with my ammo count because its technically not ammo.
i wouldnt turn in your brass for metal value - especially if it's a favored caliber for reloaders (45, 38/357, big stuff like .500 s&w, fn ammo or any rifle round) lots of reloaders will buy brass or swap xx brass for xx rounds of loaded ammo - especially if its known to be fired only once. most commercial brass sellers sell range pick-ups which are mixed headstamps & unknown number of reloads.. 9mm & 40 are usually easy to find, but still sell to reloaders for more than metal value.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:56 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
I reload, but brass that is clean and intact is valued to other reloaders .
Even caliburs of spent brass, I don't have guns for are ready for barter.
The only brass not worth holding is rimfire shells.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:39 PM

966 posts, read 1,345,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
The only brass not worth holding is rimfire shells.
and a lot of surplus ammo, before you save it, look inside the case, if there are 2 holes for the primer, throw them out,

Old 03-27-2014, 07:23 AM

195 posts, read 281,511 times
I'd have to be a multi-millionaire to buy the amounts of a factory ammo that I enjoy shooting. I have gotten to the point where I pay kids to "mine" the dirt berms for my lead, and cast the bullets, tho. I size and lube with the Star progressive machine while I keep an eye on how the casting is going. I just totally hate the idea that eventually, 9mm is going to cost me more than 8c a shot. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting