U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 06:44 AM

3,805 posts, read 8,508,451 times

Advertisements

though i havent taken my permit class yet, seems to me that (if done right) a national permit could make sense and be convenient as well. For those who travel across state lines, no need to worry if the one they enter is a reciprocal state and they can continue carrying; or if it is not and they need to make sure their gun is locked and stored in the trunk, etc.

I do see possible concern for those in states who already allow cc or oc, in that how would new guidelines affect what they already have. But considering the govt can't seem to agree on anything these days, I doubt this would get thru.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 07:25 AM

18,696 posts, read 35,415,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
though i havent taken my permit class yet, seems to me that (if done right) a national permit could make sense and be convenient as well. For those who travel across state lines, no need to worry if the one they enter is a reciprocal state and they can continue carrying; or if it is not and they need to make sure their gun is locked and stored in the trunk, etc.

I do see possible concern for those in states who already allow cc or oc, in that how would new guidelines affect what they already have. But considering the govt can't seem to agree on anything these days, I doubt this would get thru.
Here in Wyoming, as you know, we do not require a permit to carry concealed, however, you can still get a permit so that you have reciprocacy with other states. I would hope that a new National Carry would only effect our carry permits and not other laws. We did break it out, carrying without a permit is one law, and carrying with a permit is a separate law. I don't think it would effect our Constitutional Carry.

We currently have a drivers license that is good throughout the US. They don't even look at the fact that one state testing is different than another state. When I took my test in South Dakota, at age 14, I took the test at the National Guard Armory. They had a grinder out there that they had painted signs, crosswalks, railroad crossings, school zones, etc... I never even had to leave the Armory parade ground. Didn't have to parallel park, but yet, my South Dakota license granted me permission to drive in any state. Would that testing hold good in California, as far as being adiquate for their traffic, their parking and such? Yet it does. So even though state to state may vary on their testing proceedures for Concealed Carry, I firmly believe that people that go to the trouble of testing for concealed carry, are more responsible citizens than the average Joe. Why shouldn't their Permit be good in every state?
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 03-14-2014, 07:33 AM

3,395 posts, read 3,562,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrels View Post
House bill would grant universal concealed carry reciprocity in all 50 states

It would be great to see this happen. I've never contacted a senator or legislator office before but this might be where I start.
I doubt this will pass.

Opinions about conceal carry just vary too much among constituents in different states. While conceal carry is very popular in the South and west, it is much less so in the populous states of the Northeast, West Coast and Great Lakes area. This bill seems designed to force acceptance of conceal carry on states that may not want it.

I bet this guy know it won't pass. He's just proposing it to get votes.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:42 AM

11,564 posts, read 17,496,164 times
Many gun advocates are wary of universal reciprocity because they see it as the first step in a federal gun registration, which in turn makes it easier for the government to seize guns. I don't necessarily subscribe to that level of paranoid thinking, and this seems to only deal with reciprocity and keeping the issuance with the states, so it seems a good idea to me.
It will never pass however, how do you settle the differences between the "shall issue", the "may issue", and the "no issue" states? My MS permit otherwise shares reciprocity with about 30 or 35 states.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:29 AM

15,194 posts, read 17,686,126 times
As convenient as it would be, we do NOT want a federal law for this.

Right now, the feds have no say in carry laws - it's a state issue. A federal CC law would plant the feds in the driver's seat when it comes to carrying. We don't want that. How long do you think it would be before they started adding restriction after restriction on your right to carry?

We want the feds OUT of our gun business, not deeper entrenched. Don't give them more control and authority than they already have - they've repeatedly demonstrated that they can't be trusted.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:38 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,138,585 times
I think it is a workable idea for existing PERMIT HOLDERS to be able to carry in all 50 states . Those who carry legally but do not have permits would have to pass a gun safety and CCW training and get a permit.
Those states or cities that are IMO too crowded to let everybody carry should stay the same.
IMO NYC, the large cities of NJ, CA, should keep gun carry permits to a minimum limited to only those business owners in heavily populated areas.

If everybody in Alaska, Wyoming, Colorado etc, etc. carries who cares? Let everybody in NYC carry and it's shootout time in Times Square.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:43 AM

10,683 posts, read 17,025,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If everybody in Alaska, Wyoming, Colorado etc, etc. carries who cares? Let everybody in NYC carry and it's shootout time in Times Square.
Interesting, that's the same argument the anti's use when speaking out against concealed carry, that the area will become the wild west, we see where you lean.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:55 AM

15,194 posts, read 17,686,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
IMO NYC, the large cities of NJ, CA, should keep gun carry permits to a minimum limited to only those business owners in heavily populated areas.
So in a densely populated area, where crime is typically the highest and people are in the most need of being able to defend themselves, your gun rights are negated, unless you're part of a special class??

No, thanks. I prefer our rights to be applicable to everyone, not just those who can satisfy some arbitrarily set government requirement.

Old 03-14-2014, 09:25 AM

2,181 posts, read 2,035,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
So in a densely populated area, where crime is typically the highest and people are in the most need of being able to defend themselves, your gun rights are negated, unless you're part of a special class??

No, thanks. I prefer our rights to be applicable to everyone, not just those who can satisfy some arbitrarily set government requirement.
I've always found this funny. Usually big cities are where you would need a concealed handgun the most, yet it's usually never allowed for some reason. The Wild West hypothesis has failed already, people by and large don't start shooting each other just because they have guns, they're usually more polite. No one wants to get shot.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:25 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,138,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Interesting, that's the same argument the anti's use when speaking out against concealed carry, that the area will become the wild west, we see where you lean.
It doesn't matter where I lean. You have obviously never lived in an area overpopulated. Most of the residents in those area see no need to carry or even own guns. It's a different mindset that you can't comprehend.

You do realize that not all people think alike, not even gun owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting