Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you go to gun shows
Not any more, I used to but I stopped no deals 17 19.54%
I do once in a while, I don't buy but its nice to look. 21 24.14%
Yes I go not because of deals but to see a large inventory of guns 23 26.44%
Yes, I think there are great deals that can not be had anywhere but a local gun show 26 29.89%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 09:33 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,030 times

Advertisements

Back in the mid 80s I used to go to a gun show every weekend almost. If for no other reason to look at the tables like a museum. I used to find a lot of deals. I quit going because they have gotten way too expensive up to 10 bucks just to walk in as a customer, then the vendors are so high and many are rude I decided I can do way better buying on line. How many of you still go to gun shows? Much of what I see is people who are trying to cash in on gun and ammo buyers. Couple that with more and more of the GS letting in jewelry and other garbage not really related to guns and ammo I just gave up on them.

The last GS I went to had one vendor who was actually selling like I used to remember. It was one older man who had a lot of guns, and he was marking them up about 10 percent. His table was busy, but Its hard to spend 10 bucks to go to a show where there may be one or two or no tables where vendors sell with a small mark up. Many of the tables I started to see were the same rip off artists from many pawn shops in the area, and some of the not so good gun shops who marked up 50 percent or more. Any way just wanted to know what some of you think about GS in todays market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 12:16 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,935 times
I only go to gunshows for amusement, it's still fun to look at old guns and pretend to be interested and handle them and inspect them just for fun

I havent purchased a gun in a very long time and have no intention of buying anymore

I also look for militaria collectables [non firearms]

it's like going to a museum, but I only go once every few years, Im not a regular at gunshows, I can find most of the same stuff mail order

Old 03-17-2014, 01:40 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I've pretty much filled out my list, I do have one or two Brownings I keep an eye out for but nothing raging.

A funny (?) story. The local volunteer Fire Department used to have a semi-annual Gun Bash, not really a show, where there were a lot of guns, many of which would be raffled, and food. Well, a couple years ago some of the newer residents started to **** and moan about it (of course, none of them would go to it or even send a donation during the annual appeal) and the name had to be changed to Sportsmen's Bash.

The Department also had been having a very successful Turkey Shoot which got shut down over noise complaints.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:10 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,615,239 times
I go once or twice a year here in CA. I am pretty much done with CA shows. I am going to check out the BIG Reno gun show in 5 weeks and see if it is any good.
The gun shows are not as good as they used to be. More ebay sellers with Chinese junk for sale, tables of firearms that are so over priced they will never sell. Ammo sellers raping buyers with over priced boxes.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I go once or twice a year here in CA. I am pretty much done with CA shows. I am going to check out the BIG Reno gun show in 5 weeks and see if it is any good.
The gun shows are not as good as they used to be. More ebay sellers with Chinese junk for sale, tables of firearms that are so over priced they will never sell. Ammo sellers raping buyers with over priced boxes.
Thats what I found. I get better deals searching the web.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:18 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
If I want some beef jerky, cheap knives or a shamwow I will go to the gun show.

Old 03-17-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
If I want some beef jerky, cheap knives or a shamwow I will go to the gun show.
Shamwow, LOL Now thats funny I don't care who ya are

Old 03-17-2014, 02:58 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
Back in the mid 80s I used to go to a gun show every weekend almost. If for no other reason to look at the tables like a museum. I used to find a lot of deals. I quit going because they have gotten way too expensive up to 10 bucks just to walk in as a customer, then the vendors are so high and many are rude I decided I can do way better buying on line. How many of you still go to gun shows? Much of what I see is people who are trying to cash in on gun and ammo buyers. Couple that with more and more of the GS letting in jewelry and other garbage not really related to guns and ammo I just gave up on them.
+1. My husband and I went to a lot of gun shows after we first got married five years ago. We live in a very large city, so they happen often. We got occasional deals, but we never bought any guns, only gun accessories. I got a speed loader for my 9mm for much less than the gun store. We also got a couple of holsters and ammo. I also get annoyed by all the non gun related booths at gun shows. I don't want to pay a $10 admission fee to look at cheap flea market jewelry. We own all the guns we really want now, and we've given up on finding .22 ammo, so there's no point in going to gun shows, IMO.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:18 PM

793 posts, read 1,419,685 times
Overpriced ammo, counterfeit accessories, and tons of tazers/laser pointers. Meh.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:39 AM

6 posts, read 13,717 times
At this point, you're not paying the admission for great deals so much as huge selection.
Want to check out a Sig, but there's no dealer in town? Pistol guy halfway down has got P226s on display. Need mags for your Astra? Gun parts guy has one in the case. LGS run out of IMR4895 with no timetable for when it'll be back in stock? Lady running the reloading supply table has got not only cans, but jugs of the stuff.
And ammo? Out here where it's usually dominated by big-box retailers, those gun shows were the only thing bringing ammo to town in any real quantity for much of the last year.
The last time I saw .22lr was at a gun show. It was EVERYWHERE in fact, and it wasn't all crap either. When the panic got so bad that even 38 Special wasn't around anywhere, a guy from a gun store up in the mountains had a booth with cases of it. He made money off of me that day.
Granted it was all a little more expensive than I've been used to seeing, but what would you rather see-ammo at $22 per box, or bare shelves at $19? When it's either pay up and shoot a little less than you want or not go shooting at all with your kid for a year or more, what are you going to do? Sometimes, just getting ammo IS the deal.
After the ammo comes all the way back, I'm not so sure I'll go as often as I do, but until then, it's one of the reasons I can still go shooting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting