U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 05:49 PM

1,489 posts, read 1,349,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
I think the issue with having a semiautomatic ccw, say for example, loose in a purse, is that in theory while grabbing it one might accidentally squeeze the trigger. It's a lot harder to do with the revolver. I'm not sure at all of how often accidental discharges with cc semis happen though, but again, in theory, it's something that is less likely to happen with the revolver because it's hard to pull that trigger
HOLSTER

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 06:24 PM

5,220 posts, read 2,375,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
That is a 2 inch Rhino revolver. Six shot comes in many calibers such as 357 magnum, 40S&W, 9X19, 9X21 and there are 2 cylinder models that shot 357mag/9mm. The underbarrel design decreases recoil and muzzle flip. You can with never even firing it before put six shots into a four inch square if you know how to properly aim a gun. It has fiber optic sights. The decrease in recoil means that firing 9mm feels like you just fired a .22. They come in double/single action, or just double action in which they do not have a cocking hammer.
I understand about the muzzle flip, but how does this configuration decrease the recoil?

Old 05-04-2014, 07:11 PM

769 posts, read 889,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I understand about the muzzle flip, but how does this configuration decrease the recoil?
because the line of force is closer to the long axis of the arm, so felt recoil is lower

Old 05-04-2014, 08:26 PM

5,220 posts, read 2,375,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
because the line of force is closer to the long axis of the arm, so felt recoil is lower
I would argue that any change in the felt recoil is really a function of the reduction in muzzle flip. However, the point that I was questioning was the claim that recoil was reduced, not felt or perceived recoil.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:03 PM

513 posts, read 556,517 times
Thank you everyone, sincerely, I greatly appreciate the responses.

I realized I do need to do a lot more research and take a novice class.

Does anyone recommend a gun safe..? I saw some but they were $900+. Plus what would be the difference between a "gun" safe and a regular, large sized safe. Also do you have a dial safe, electronic one, or a biometric one?

Old 05-04-2014, 09:44 PM

20,574 posts, read 15,415,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
Are you a female? Id suggest a revolver as it is simple to load and maintain. The downside is a hard trigger pull which may affect your aim slightly... But if you're going to shoot someone it would most likely be at very close range and you might not even be using the sights
Meh, I'm female and I can handle a .45 much better than a revolver such as a .38.

I don't know where you live, OP, but SOME ranges have some weapons you can rent so you can try out a few. For me, I wanted a Walther P99 really badly, but I went with a Smith & Wesson SW99 because I wanted it in .45 not 9mm. Anyway, both the Walther and the S&W fit my hands perfectly. I shoot really well with a Kimber Eclipse, but the grip is just a little large for me, and I want to be comfortable.

You can also make some friends at the range and in almost any range I've been to, you'll find people who love to try out others' weapons. Some people don't like that, but I do, because I got to learn about many different weapons that way.

Browning is another good one.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:23 PM

769 posts, read 889,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post

Does anyone recommend a gun safe..? I saw some but they were $900+. Plus what would be the difference between a "gun" safe and a regular, large sized safe. Also do you have a dial safe, electronic one, or a biometric one?
Don't get one of those "safes" you can get at Harbor Freight, if all you have is pistols, a good fireproof office safe will work, just make sure it is bolted down. If you want to get some long guns, then you will need a gun safe, again, make sure it if fire rated and bolted down. What ever safe you get, what ever size you think you need, get the one or two sizes larger as you will find yourself keeping more than firearms in it.
I keep cameras, important papers, computer media, in mine as well as firearms. I think I paid $700 for mine from Costco, with free delivery to the curb.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:56 AM

3,813 posts, read 3,528,823 times
Quote:

The "best" gun to have, is the one in your hands when you need it. Same holds true for ammunition. This argument will go on and on.

As someone else said, go to your local range and try several different handguns out. You can dry fire and live fire them and get a feel what is right for you. Some people have problems with recoil management (men and women) with larger caliber pistols. Shot placement is the key to putting someone down and its better to be accurate with a smaller caliber, then miss with a larger caliber.

Training is a must. Get some good solid training. One thing people always forget in this regards is: You are training to kill someone. Let us not mince words, etc. Have you thought about the legal and psychological aftermath of such an incident? Wrongful death lawsuits are a pain and if you can show certified, documented training, it will help you a great deal in that regards. Do you know your states laws on using deadly force? I always advise people to seek out a qualified attorney, pay the 50 or 100 bucks, and pick their brain for an hour. I suggest persons try and get an attorney which defends police officers in these matters. They have been there and done that quite often.

Finally, do you know the laws for having a gun in your home with children? Many states have specific laws as to how to store a gun with children in the home.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:09 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,875,631 times
Quote:

If you're keeping a gun for home defense, you have to consider whether or not you could wake up, unlock your safe and get your gun before someone could come in. I know I'm not that fast. That's the same way I feel about keeping the gun locked up in a different place from the ammo. If I need it, I will need it in a hurry.

Of course, it depends on your living situation as well...if you have kids and there's any chance they're going to mess with the gun, then you do need to lock it up. That's not always foolproof either. I had a friend when I was growing up and her dad had a giant safe full of guns. My friend's teenage brother managed to open the safe (the dad always left it locked) and killed his friend in the living room.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:20 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,744,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
HOLSTER

Where do you live where women holstering guns is common? I'm in the northeast and even if cc gets passed here I don't expect women to start wearing holsters. They're not fashionable. I'd carry in my purse too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting