U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 03:36 AM

513 posts, read 556,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
You have to do what you're comfortable with. Personally, when we have one of those nights where the dogs are restless and keep barking or I'm feeling edgy, I keep my gun within arm's reach, safety on, no round in the chamber. I know from past experience that if someone is really trying to get in, I get scared and it's more difficult to do simple things.

Since you have a child in the house, you need to consider the layout of the house and where your child will be when you're firing your gun, if someone does break in. In my house, we have safety drills where the kids practice going into their rooms and laying down flat on the floor until we come and tell them it's safe.

That's a good idea, although I am trying to get her to sleep by herself, my 3 year old wont sleep without me. She will have her own room but chances are will be in my bed. Sadly, after things went sideways and she saw me get choked she wants to sleep with me saying she "doesn't wanna leave mama" and that she wants me to "be careful mama, people bad and (her name) loves mama". she should never have to feel the need to protect me and yet she does now. It's not right and I will never let it happen again. Ever.

My saint sleeps at the front door and so that adds some time, since getting a 160 lb dog to move csn be difficult, even for me. But we do need to have a plan, and practice. Absolutely. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 03:55 AM

10,863 posts, read 18,892,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
That's a good idea, although I am trying to get her to sleep by herself, my 3 year old wont sleep without me. She will have her own room but chances are will be in my bed. Sadly, after things went sideways and she saw me get choked she wants to sleep with me saying she "doesn't wanna leave mama" and that she wants me to "be careful mama, people bad and (her name) loves mama". she should never have to feel the need to protect me and yet she does now. It's not right and I will never let it happen again. Ever.

My saint sleeps at the front door and so that adds some time, since getting a 160 lb dog to move csn be difficult, even for me. But we do need to have a plan, and practice. Absolutely. Thank you.

At that age, have her hide in a closet or cupboard if something happens. You can make a game out of practicing, it doesn't have to be scary. We had some problems and while all of it was happening, I taught my kids to go in their rooms (or another room, since it sounds like your bedrooms are not on the ground floor) if someone rang the doorbell, because I just didn't know who might be there and what might happen. Also teach her not to answer the door herself, you wouldn't think of such a young child being able to do that, but when my oldest was 3, she opened the apartment door and let the maintenance man in while I was in the restroom. She didn't know it was wrong for her to do it, she was just trying to do what she had seen us do, answer the door if someone knocked.

I think having a dog loose in the house at night is a good deterrent, especially a dog who has a good loud bark.

Having your bedroom at the top of the stairs is also a good setup for home defense and having your daughter sleep in your room is perfect. If somebody breaks in, shoot them while they're coming up the stairs, don't wait until they're up where you are. A shotgun would be good for that kind of scenario.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:58 PM

32,559 posts, read 17,658,120 times
Lightbulb Best handgun for a newbie

Quote:
I m a newbie with guns and fired one for the first time the other day. It was a Sig 9MM. Problem was loading was a PITA. I want a gun for protection and possibly a CC also. Could have both. I have a three year old and restraining order against someone I don't wish to discuss. I want something in the home since it is just us, and our Saint. Saint is for warning,but if that doesn't deter them, I wish to have something I can use and is accurate.

I've had the pleasure of introducing three women to handguns. All had access to quite a spectrum of types and calibers. In my small sample, all three had the exact same preference: a Smith & Wesson Model 10 .38 special revolver with a 4" barrel. In my view, they all three made a wise choice.

The 38 revolver was the sidearm of choice for practically all US law enforcement agencies for half a century, and with good reason. They handle well, are easy to shoot accurately, are rugged, reliable and with modern 38+P ammunition, very effective.

an example.

Good luck in finding a suitable self-defense firearm and here's hoping you'll never need to use it.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:20 PM

1,489 posts, read 1,350,297 times
Model 10 S&W is great, I enjoy them, and a newbie should at least experience a similar revolver before deciding.

However, there are many valid reasons why the world has left these antiques in the dust, and tripling the capacity is certainly important it case of multiple targets, or determined targets. (17+1=18)

Don't decide until you at least try a Glock 17, or any other Glock. See why it's a bestseller.

There are other good brands, but don't spend your money before trying both a Glock & an S&W revolver.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:43 PM

32,559 posts, read 17,658,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Model 10 S&W is great, I enjoy them, and a newbie should at least experience a similar revolver before deciding.

However, there are many valid reasons why the world has left these antiques in the dust, and tripling the capacity is certainly important it case of multiple targets, or determined targets. (17+1=18)

Don't decide until you at least try a Glock 17, or any other Glock. See why it's a bestseller.

There are other good brands, but don't spend your money before trying both a Glock & an S&W revolver.

Glocks have a well earned reputation for reliability. Some folks just don't need high cap semiautos. Slides and magazine safeties can be problematic for those w/o a lot of experience.

Everyone needs to analyze their own situation and prepare for their most likely encounter.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:50 AM

854 posts, read 898,449 times
Revolver in 9mm, .38 or .22lr. Maybe even a pellet pistol.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:37 AM

2,773 posts, read 3,678,723 times
Quote:
I m a newbie with guns and fired one for the first time the other day. It was a Sig 9MM. Problem was loading was a PITA. I want a gun for protection and possibly a CC also. Could have both. I have a three year old and restraining order against someone I don't wish to discuss. I want something in the home since it is just us, and our Saint. Saint is for warning,but if that doesn't deter them, I wish to have something I can use and is accurate.
Your situation screams "hammerless revolver", and I recommend the Ruger LCR in .38 Special. It's compact, lightweight, and the well-designed grips greatly aid in absorbing shock. If you can afford it you should spring for the Crimson Trace LASER grips. Ruger LCR Crimson Trace Laser Review By Dan S. Defense, Page 1

My arthritic mom loves the Ruger LCR .38 Special she keeps in a special carry-purse.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:07 PM

16,886 posts, read 12,541,451 times
Quote:

once trained, a Glock 19. nice for CCW and very manageable to shoot.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:03 AM

5,414 posts, read 7,628,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
Revolver in 9mm, .38 or .22lr. Maybe even a pellet pistol.
I hope you aren't serious about a .22 or pellet pistol for a firearm whose intended purpose is self defense.

If you were, that would be ridiculous.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:48 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,566,735 times
I agree with the posters suggesting some variant on the .38 double action revolver. It is simple and easy to learn how to use. The new owner should also take a course in gun handling and keeping. I suggest they get a Ruger #1 .22 target pistol for the sport of target shooting and, if in a rural area, pest control.

My own preference is a .45 Colt Semi auto and or [Mod cut]. I can carry the former and nothing is better than the latter in a close quarter gunfight.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 06-05-2014 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: Advocating illegal activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting