Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 03:14 AM

513 posts, read 795,514 times

Advertisements

I m a newbie with guns and fired one for the first time the other day. It was a Sig 9MM. Problem was loading was a PITA. I want a gun for protection and possibly a CC also. Could have both. I have a three year old and restraining order against someone I don't wish to discuss. I want something in the home since it is just us, and our Saint. Saint is for warning,but if that doesn't deter them, I wish to have something I can use and is accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 04:06 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,264,793 times
I usually recommend a .22 for a first gun, and a lot of practice with it. I have a SIG .40, and I don't see how it can be a pain to load at all. SIGs are fine firearms, some of the best. I never had a problem with loading the magazines. If you find that difficult I'd suggest practice at it. If you need a gun for self-defense it's quite worth it to be familiar with it and know how to use it well.

Old 05-04-2014, 04:21 AM

10,924 posts, read 21,897,816 times
If you're referring to loading the magazine, this will help Butler Creek UpLulaâ„¢ Universal Pistol Magazine Loader : Cabela's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOaqyvd3LS0

As far as the best gun for a newbie, it depends on the newbie, no one can tell you what the best one is for you. Best option is to visit a range that rents and try out as many as you can.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:09 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,534,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
I m a newbie with guns and fired one for the first time the other day. It was a Sig 9MM. Problem was loading was a PITA. I want a gun for protection and possibly a CC also. Could have both. I have a three year old and restraining order against someone I don't wish to discuss. I want something in the home since it is just us, and our Saint. Saint is for warning,but if that doesn't deter them, I wish to have something I can use and is accurate.
There have been magazine loading tools almost as long as there have been auto pistols. Some are made for specific guns; others work with a variey of guns. I've provided a link to the best one. Loading ten 14-round magazines in a row without a loading tool is no fun.

That said, have you tried a revolver? They're easy to load. They're not as fast to reload as autos that need only a fresh magazine but there are loading strips and speed loaders that can speed things up a good it. The guns themselves are more reliable and easier to use than autos.

Starting out with a .22 isn't a bad idea. Contrary to much of what you'll hear and read, no one wishes to be shot with anything. The .22 can certainly kill. However, a person receiving a fatal wound from one may still be able to function for a good while. Smith and Wesson makes one that is ultralight and holds eight rounds. Civilians rarely become involved in situations that require more than three or four shots. A very experienced old time gun writer (Elmer Keith) once opined that after you've fired six shots in a gunfight you've either won or you're dead. It's ideal to have both a .22 and a larger caliber gun; they should be as similar as possible.

I carry a Smith Model 638 (5 shot) as my everyday gun.

Amazon.com : Butler Creek Lula Loader T1008 : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: HKS 36-A Revolver Speedloader for S&W 36, 37, 38, 40, 42,49, 60, 340, 360/ Taurus 85, 605, 651, 851/ Ruger SP101 (5 Shot): Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: 5 Round Two Pack QuickStrips T0814: Sports & Outdoors

Product: Model 638

Old 05-04-2014, 05:16 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,238,823 times
For a home defense gun, either a 4 inch .38 spl or a shotgun with OO or OOO Buck in it. As for carry and home defense then a 2 to 3 inch .38 spl would do the job with some practice. A double action only revolver would be best for someone new to handguns, as the biggest issue I have seen with people has been once they pull the hammer back on their revolver, they do not know how to get the hammer down without a chance of an AD.

With any firearm it takes practice and especially the shorter the barrel the more practice it takes to hit what you are aiming at, but with a shotgun it is more point and shoot, yet still requires some practice and someone experienced showing you how to unload and load it without an AD (accidental discharge).

Auto loaders are great guns for experienced persons but it is much harder to make a mistake with a revolver.

Last edited by Mr. Lee; 05-04-2014 at 05:26 AM..

Old 05-04-2014, 05:44 AM

947 posts, read 1,456,879 times
All guns will need maintenance at least once a year and after being fired need to be cleaned. Both are much easier on revolvers then semi autos.

.22 is good for starting out and target practice.

Handguns aren't very accurate and a much larger caliber has nastier recoil so followup shots will miss.

There are a number of nice options in revolvers if you can afford them.

That is a 2 inch Rhino revolver. Six shot comes in many calibers such as 357 magnum, 40S&W, 9X19, 9X21 and there are 2 cylinder models that shot 357mag/9mm. The underbarrel design decreases recoil and muzzle flip. You can with never even firing it before put six shots into a four inch square if you know how to properly aim a gun. It has fiber optic sights. The decrease in recoil means that firing 9mm feels like you just fired a .22. They come in double/single action, or just double action in which they do not have a cocking hammer.

The 2 inch barrel, and the shape of the cylinder make this gun easy to conceal carry. Can take moonclips and speedloaders. Moonclips make it easy to unload and reload fast. Also the revolver is made to be loaded by one hand.

It also comes in 4,5, and 6 inch barrel lengths.

4,5,6 have one or two rails so you can put laser sight, optic sight, light on them. 4,5,6 you can even use for hunting due to how accurate the gun is at long distance.

Another option to consider is a handgun that can fire shotgun shells. There are two shot derringers but also these five shot ones.

Taurus Judge 2 inch barrel model. Five shot fires either .40 caliber or a .410 shotgun shell. You have to use the ejection rod so unloading it takes time.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:04 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,400,970 times
If you plan on getting a permit, you should check the rules regarding the smallest caliber you can carry. Some states limit the smallest revolver to .38 caliber or semi-automatic to .32 caliber. For carry practice with, at least, what the smallest that is allowed.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:30 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,243,195 times
Are you a female? Id suggest a revolver as it is simple to load and maintain. The downside is a hard trigger pull which may affect your aim slightly... But if you're going to shoot someone it would most likely be at very close range and you might not even be using the sights

Old 05-04-2014, 07:34 AM

1,963 posts, read 2,693,233 times
I taught my wife how to shoot my .38 2" revolver rather than starting her with a Glock or a Sig.

She's content with the simplicity of the "wheel gun" and will graduate to an auto when she's ready.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:37 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,291,001 times
My suggestion is the Glock 19. Simple, lightweight, reliable, and compact. It holds 15 rounds as opposed to 5 or 6 in a revolver. True, the revolver is slightly simpler to operate, but if someone cannot grasp the operation of a semi-auto, they should not have a gun. The common implication that semi-autos are too complicated is really absurd. If you can drive a car, or for that matter read what I am writing, you have more than enough brainpower to operate a Glock 19.

As for loading mags, this can be a PETA for many. The solution is to work on hand strength. Get one of these. It will help you with your shooting as well.
Gripmaster Hand Exerciser Blue - Light Resistance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting