Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 08:20 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,414,660 times

Advertisements

Also, in some states, when you qualify for your permit with a semi-automatic, you can carry either that or a revolver. If you qualify with a revolver, you can carry only a revolver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 09:13 AM

309 posts, read 348,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d from birmingham View Post
All guns will need maintenance at least once a year and after being fired need to be cleaned. Both are much easier on revolvers then semi autos.

.22 is good for starting out and target practice.

Handguns aren't very accurate and a much larger caliber has nastier recoil so followup shots will miss.

There are a number of nice options in revolvers if you can afford them.

You can't do much on a revolver except clean it, change the grips and other minor things. You'll have to take it to a gunsmith or send it back to the factory for most repairs. Semi autos, especially Glocks, Sigs, Berettas, S&W M&P, SA XDm and other modern pistols are VERY easy to work on. Glock being the easiest of all.

As far as handguns not being very accurate....I know a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special with a 1.5"@50 YDS upgrade and guarantee that says fuey chewy to that.........

Buy a Glock 19 OP.......

Old 05-04-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
My suggestion is the Glock 19. Simple, lightweight, reliable, and compact. It holds 15 rounds as opposed to 5 or 6 in a revolver. True, the revolver is slightly simpler to operate, but if someone cannot grasp the operation of a semi-auto, they should not have a gun. The common implication that semi-autos are too complicated is really absurd. If you can drive a car, or for that matter read what I am writing, you have more than enough brainpower to operate a Glock 19.

As for loading mags, this can be a PETA for many. The solution is to work on hand strength. Get one of these. It will help you with your shooting as well.
Gripmaster Hand Exerciser Blue - Light Resistance
I heard that my man!!

A revolver is only easier until the cylinder locks op or it goes out of time. Only having 5-6 rounds also tests your marksmanship to a greater level. Even expert marksman can be totally screwed with a wheel-gun and there being three or more perps.
Pistol Malfunction Clearance - YouTube

Last edited by 0317; 05-04-2014 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: Add

Old 05-04-2014, 09:28 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
If you're referring to loading the magazine, this will help Butler Creek UpLulaâ„¢ Universal Pistol Magazine Loader : Cabela's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOaqyvd3LS0

As far as the best gun for a newbie, it depends on the newbie, no one can tell you what the best one is for you. Best option is to visit a range that rents and try out as many as you can.
Exactly right.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
Are you a female? Id suggest a revolver as it is simple to load and maintain. The downside is a hard trigger pull which may affect your aim slightly... But if you're going to shoot someone it would most likely be at very close range and you might not even be using the sights
It will be more than slightly. lol Talking about 10+ pound trigger pulls VS a Glock with a 5.5# bone stock straight out of the box. You can reduce that if you wish by visiting Lone Wolf Distributors.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:50 AM

966 posts, read 1,344,424 times
I agree what NHDAVE said, but you can also go to a gun show and get to hold a lot more guns and find one that fits your hand. DO NOT but a gun because someone said you have to have this one. I had a friend that bought a ruger P-85, she was tiny, and when she put on the holster, it looked like she was carrying a cannon. We went to the range and that is when I found out she could not even pull back the slide. She would have been better off with a pocket full of rocks to throw.

Everybody s hands are different, what fits one does not fit another. Revolvers are nice because grips are easy to change, you can larger or smaller to fit you. Guns like Glocks are pretty much when you see is what you get, it will not get any smaller. You mentioned you had a hard time loading mags, if you are small in stature, another issue with a automatic pistol is the chance of limp wristing, which is the failure to hold the weapon firm enough while firing it, which can cause failure to feed the next round.
Guns like a 9mm and 38 have low recoil and are good starters, 357, 45, are heavier recoiling and would be better for when you have more experience.

There is more to carrying a gun than the hardware, you also need to know the laws, Bloomfield press publishes Gun Owner Guides for each state, there is also the mental part, are you ready to be able to use a weapon, just showing it will not always stop a problem, sometimes you might have to use it, and unless you are ready to do that mentally, you need to think about other options, pepper spray, tazors ?

Old 05-04-2014, 10:37 AM

190 posts, read 192,532 times
This does not answer your original question of a best handgun. For in-home defense, I would suggest considering a 20 ga. Winchester 870 pump shotgun. A restraining order on a person suggests that you need an IMMEDIATE STOPPING firearm. Handguns do not do this very well unless the shot is very well placed. This is not easy with a moving target and while undergoing an adrenal dump (scared to death). A light gauge shotgun will be controllable by a person even of small stature. Make sure that you use a #4 buckshot or larger. This is denoted by smaller numbers.. ie. #3, #2, #0 (aught), #00 (double aught) buckshot.

Most important of all, get training. Shooting and firearm familiarization is a start. Legal defense training is equally important. Tactic training such as going to a bedroom that can be safely defended and door locks that are hardened enough to delay an intruder long enough to get to your safe room.

Peace and good luck.

An appendum: If you decide to get a handgun, get a model that has a rail that can hold a flashlight. Surefire makes a good light. It is bright enough to temporarily blind an adversary and the center of the flashlight beam is where the bullet will go. For a close quarter defense, you may not have the luxury of aiming. The most important consideration on this is the ease of use of the switch. Crimson Trace makes a laser that turns on as you grip your handgun. I wish that they made a flashlight/laser combo with this option for a switch.

Last edited by Devans0; 05-04-2014 at 10:58 AM..

Old 05-04-2014, 11:07 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
Are you a female? Id suggest a revolver as it is simple to load and maintain. The downside is a hard trigger pull which may affect your aim slightly... But if you're going to shoot someone it would most likely be at very close range and you might not even be using the sights
+1. I am a small woman and I am NOT a fan of revolvers. The hard trigger pull is a pain and they don't hold as many rounds as my 9mm. Also, in my state of Texas, if you take the CCW class and certify with a revolver, you can only carry a revolver, but if you certify with a semiautomatic, you can carry both revolvers and semiautos concealed. No matter what gun you buy, you have to practice with it to become proficient at using it. A .22 caliber is an easy gun to use, but there is a shortage of .22 caliber ammo now and it is very difficult to find. 9mm guns are very easy to use, IMO. I have a 9mm Ruger that was my first gun, and the one I still use most often. 9mm ammo is also very inexpensive, second only to .22 ammo in affordability, I think. My husband and I own several guns and I find it very reliable: accurate and no jamming. Hi Point guns are awesome inexpensive American guns. We also have a couple of them, a 9mm pistol and a .380, and they have been solid workhorses for us.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:14 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
My wife loves her S&W .357 short barrel revolver. Relatively light weight, shoots .38 Special, .357 ammo. .38 Special is lighter kick than the .357, does the job nicely.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:58 PM

513 posts, read 798,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylewis View Post
I usually recommend a .22 for a first gun, and a lot of practice with it. I have a SIG .40, and I don't see how it can be a pain to load at all. SIGs are fine firearms, some of the best. I never had a problem with loading the magazines. If you find that difficult I'd suggest practice at it. If you need a gun for self-defense it's quite worth it to be familiar with it and know how to use it well.
The one I used had to be loaded with each individual cartridge. I had to get the cartridge, push the spring down, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting