Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 01:19 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
If you aren't planning on killing government agents the the government having a kill switch to your gun shouldn't be a problem!
Would you accept a kill switch on your car accessible by the govt or a way to unlock your house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 02:37 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Quote:
If you aren't planning on killing government agents the the government having a kill switch to your gun shouldn't be a problem!
The US government has done oh so well at keeping control over their secrets, such a remote control would never leak to other users, right?

If a "kill switch" had existed in 2005, I'm sure New Orleans Police Superintendent Eddie Compass would have loved it. Do you doubt the government would have set it to "No shoot" for all of Los Angeles if they'd had the option in 1992?

Turn off the rifles of the Korean store owners on their roof tops, then apologize to their next of kin when you realize there is no equivalent switch to disable the looter's molotov cocktails, or Damian "Football" Williams' famous brick.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:14 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
This is exactly why that POS gunclub and it's owner were hammered by the SoCal gun community.

AngryTP knows whom I'm talking about.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:24 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
This is exactly why that POS gunclub and it's owner were hammered by the SoCal gun community.

AngryTP knows whom I'm talking about.
Indeedy

Old 05-24-2014, 12:30 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Since all of American criminal jurisprudence is based on the presumption of innocence until proven guilty, the government doesn't need a kill switch because it assumes guilt before proven by trial.

Old 05-24-2014, 12:37 PM

978 posts, read 2,054,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Mandate all you want... My weapons will never have one installed.. Guaranteed. I am willing to bet Iam not alone in this sentiment.
The only kind of electronics I want on a gun are optics.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:40 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
Two Words,...Ruby Ridge.

Ruby Ridge all started because of some dispute between Waver and some other guy. The guy then started flooding the FBI etc with false letters accusing Waver of plotting against the government which was false.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:38 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Two Words,...Ruby Ridge.

Ruby Ridge all started because of some dispute between Waver and some other guy. The guy then started flooding the FBI etc with false letters accusing Waver of plotting against the government which was false.
No joke. Now that I think of it, anyone who trusts the government with a "kill switch" may not be of sound enough mind to be a gun owner to begin with. We need responsible and mature gun owners, not naive ones. If one is foolish enough to trust in government with such a profoundly powerful responsibility, I question that person's ability to discern other important things, such as proper handling and use of a firearm.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:56 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
A government controlled "kill switch" negates the 2nd Amendment. It will never fly.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:21 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Exclamation Eugene Volokh's limited endorsement of "Smart Guns"

Volokh, writing for the Washington Post, has decided "Smart Guns" aren't so bad, and that a future smart gun mandate could be acceptable. Since when is the sole purpose of the second amendment "the right to keep and bear arms in self-defense."?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volokh
And if (as I asked you to assume) such smart guns became generally about as reliable and about as costly as ordinary guns, I think smart gun mandates might be constitutional under the theory that they do not materially interfere with the right to keep and bear arms in self-defense. (Imagine a requirement that printing presses or cellphones contain anti-theft technology; I don’t think this would, by itself, violate the freedom of the press or of speech, if the requirement didn’t make the devices materially less reliable or more expensive.)
Found via Captain's Journal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting