U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 10:39 PM

5,257 posts, read 4,053,415 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember doing that at a carnival where you had to shoot out a red star from a piece of paper with an air powered BB machine gun? I always ran out of ammo before I could finish. We would have our school picnic on the last day of school at this carnival and most of us spent our money at the shooting galleries. I remember this kid in my class thought he had won but the guy showed him a tiny little speck of red that was barely visible on the paper, the kid got pissed off and the next time he went to shoot he started blasting all the guy's prizes off the shelf. He was sent home and banned from the carnival but it must of been a temporary ban because I saw him a couple months later there on the Ski-Lift dropping ice cream on people walking below. Has anyone ever completely shot out that star or was that a rigged contest?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 10:50 PM

369 posts, read 309,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Does anyone remember doing that at a carnival where you had to shoot out a red star from a piece of paper with an air powered BB machine gun? I always ran out of ammo before I could finish. We would have our school picnic on the last day of school at this carnival and most of us spent our money at the shooting galleries. I remember this kid in my class thought he had won but the guy showed him a tiny little speck of red that was barely visible on the paper, the kid got pissed off and the next time he went to shoot he started blasting all the guy's prizes off the shelf. He was sent home and banned from the carnival but it must of been a temporary ban because I saw him a couple months later there on the Ski-Lift dropping ice cream on people walking below. Has anyone ever completely shot out that star or was that a rigged contest?
First off.....ROTFLMAO!!

HAHAHAHA

Yes, I used to shoot those as a kid as well. The game was rigged and the barrels were FUBARED so they wouldn't shoot straight. I always suspected they ran a drill bit into the muzzle crown area. I was smart as a kid, much smarter than most. I had my first .22 rifle at 8 years old. I wasn't stupid......

Had they not rigged the game, it would have been a lot more fun. It would be cool to get your hands on a new rifle and set-up for your own enjoyment in your basement as you built a range and backstop for the thing.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:26 PM

5,257 posts, read 4,053,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by You Lose View Post
First off.....ROTFLMAO!!

HAHAHAHA

Yes, I used to shoot those as a kid as well. The game was rigged and the barrels were FUBARED so they wouldn't shoot straight. I always suspected they ran a drill bit into the muzzle crown area. I was smart as a kid, much smarter than most. I had my first .22 rifle at 8 years old. I wasn't stupid......

Had they not rigged the game, it would have been a lot more fun. It would be cool to get your hands on a new rifle and set-up for your own enjoyment in your basement as you built a range and backstop for the thing.

8? Man, I didn't get my first .22 until I was 14. When I was 8 I was shooting finishing nails out of my brother's lever action Daisy.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:54 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,848,151 times
Yep I remember it. When I was young the shooting galleries were 22 rifles loaded with shorts. Loved the smell of the powder. About the time I hit the teenage years they started the full auto imitation Thompson BB guns. All carney games are rigged.
One year at the Iowa State Fair my best friends dad caught a carney ripping me off. It was the throw a baseball at the painted milk bottles game. I had an above average fastball and nailed the bottles 4 straight times. One bottle would not go down. My friends dad jumped over the counter and picked the bottle up, it was filled with lead. Got my money back and the Sheriff shut the game down.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:09 AM

4,638 posts, read 3,732,971 times
Yep, that game is pretty much impossible to win.

For one, the BBs are usually slightly smaller than the ones the gun should use. This means more bouncing inside the smooth barrel and no accuracy. Also, they claim 100 BBS per round, but in reality, it is more like 75.

The Carnies will keep a barrrel seperate with 100 in it so that if an inspector comes along and wants to count, they will offerr that one as an example.

About the only place where games are not rigged is Oklahoma. In that state, it is a crime to rig a game and inspectors frequent carrnies and fairs. If the carney cannot win on a demo from where the patron stands 2 out of 3 times, then the game is shut down and citations are issued.
I have won games inn Oklahoma, but they are often offering cheaper prizes since they know that they are going to be giving more away.

The only game that can be won consistently, with practice, is the bottle game. Here is how to do it, practice for a few months (like the carneys do) and then go and clean them out.

how to win at stand the bottle up carnival game every time! - YouTube

Old 05-30-2014, 07:09 AM

4,940 posts, read 4,646,736 times
Quote:
The game was rigged and the barrels were FUBARED so they wouldn't shoot straight. I always suspected they ran a drill bit into the muzzle crown area.

I wonder if those guns could be turned into genuinely accurate shooters with a bit of air-gunsmithing, particularly some decent barrels. It would be interesting to see how a truly accurate gun would be received by the carnival crowd. The size of the target star can be varied to adjust the odds to wherever the operator wanted, but I think they might actually get more business with a decently accurate gun instead of the sprayers that they are now.

To have one accurized and set up for home use would be really cool, indeed.

Looks like more research is in order.

And here's what I found:

www.shootingstargames.com

Last edited by P47P47; 05-30-2014 at 07:18 AM..

Old 06-03-2014, 07:35 PM

369 posts, read 309,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
I wonder if those guns could be turned into genuinely accurate shooters with a bit of air-gunsmithing, particularly some decent barrels. It would be interesting to see how a truly accurate gun would be received by the carnival crowd. The size of the target star can be varied to adjust the odds to wherever the operator wanted, but I think they might actually get more business with a decently accurate gun instead of the sprayers that they are now.

To have one accurized and set up for home use would be really cool, indeed.

Looks like more research is in order.

And here's what I found:

www.shootingstargames.com
I don't see why you couldn't tune one of those up. It's done to other air rifles and pistols all the time. This is my great uncle's Benjamin .177 pistol. It is 1920's or 1930's vintage. He was born January 1st 1900. I got it when he passed away. About 5 years ago I took it over to a local air rifle/pistol smith and got it restored and tuned up. I'm not sure what he did, but this is every bit as powerful as a .22 short now...maybe even a long. It will go through at least 2 steel soup cans, maybe even three. He definitely cranked up the output on this sucker. It also shoots laser straight and accurate. I use it when I have to cap something inside a barn or garage.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:48 PM

3,174 posts, read 2,747,893 times
The link above only sells the whole carnie setup, not individual guns. You can buy the guns used for $400-$600, they just need lead shot and a shop air compressor. There's also a "BB MACHINEGUN OWNERS GROUP FORUM". (Uppercase is their choice, not mine).

Old 06-05-2014, 02:04 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,848,151 times
Quote:
I don't see why you couldn't tune one of those up. It's done to other air rifles and pistols all the time. This is my great uncle's Benjamin .177 pistol. It is 1920's or 1930's vintage. He was born January 1st 1900. I got it when he passed away. About 5 years ago I took it over to a local air rifle/pistol smith and got it restored and tuned up. I'm not sure what he did, but this is every bit as powerful as a .22 short now...maybe even a long. It will go through at least 2 steel soup cans, maybe even three. He definitely cranked up the output on this sucker. It also shoots laser straight and accurate. I use it when I have to cap something inside a barn or garage.

I've got that same exact pistol. It was handed down to me from my grandpa. Mine needs to be rebuilt though it won't hold pressure. It was a great shooter before the bushings started leaking.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 06-05-2014 at 06:58 AM.. Reason: Fixed quote tags

Old 06-05-2014, 08:10 PM

4,153 posts, read 7,650,014 times
Quote:

Awesome

I've got an old Benjamin air rifle I used to carry around with me walking around the West Texas fields. It shoots those big old 5mm pellets. That thing would send a Grackle doing back flips off the fence! I can't remember for sure but it's 1970's for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting