U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 01:25 AM

5,998 posts, read 6,373,832 times

Advertisements

Here's how it goes in AZ. You go to the gun store, pick out a gun. Pay, fill out the 4473, show your id and ccw. Say thanks and leave with your gun..

Carry pretty much whatever you want, wherever you want (some restrictions, mostly federal). Buy two or ten guns if you want.

In Commiefornia, you take a safety test, $25 fee, pay another check fee, buy your gun - your microstamp firing pin gun, with stupid politically required modifications, fill out various forms, wait 10 days or maybe two weeks now, register your gun, and can't buy more than one a month, so forget those wish list guns that appear suddenly. Then enjoy your ten round bullet button semi-auto, or black powder.

And don't bother trying to get a ccw in most counties, and you can't open carry. But yeah CA is a swell place, send me a postcard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 08:38 AM

7,282 posts, read 8,394,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
I currently live in Washington State, but the social/political climate has really necessitated a relocation.
I have a business of my own where I do some work connected to firearms and am a gun owner. I've been considering relocating to California, but have heard such repeated horror stories of the gun laws there, I wanted to get opinions from California residents whether it would be a good choice or a real difficult go down there. I have heard that S&W and Ruger have pulled out of the state, but I also know there are a lot of gun owners/manufacturers still there.

Since this is somewhat of a business-related question, I'm thinking in a long-term sense. Is California too gun-unfriendly to do business in; or is the trend reversing towards less restrictive laws?
You can't be serious. I'm calling BS here. How can you possibly be involved in the firearms business in any way and not be aware of the political/social climate in California when it comes to firearms?

I mean really.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:01 AM

2,749 posts, read 2,616,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
When you compare the stats, Chicago was actually a safer city when it was legal for a teenager to go to the local hardware store and buy a Tommy gun.

Isn't that something?
I don't think there is a correlation between the two nearly so much as there are other factors involved.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:55 PM

13,951 posts, read 10,324,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I don't think there is a correlation between the two nearly so much as there are other factors involved.
Oh, I completely agree.... Correlation doesn't amount to causation. I'm merely pointing out the irony of how bad it is in Chicago now with all their strict gun laws, compared to it being safer when there were virtually none.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:22 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,359,613 times
I bought one handgun in CA within the past 10 years. I had to wait the two weeks to claim it, it had to be a privately consigned gun because it hadn't been approved for merchant sale since S&W wouldn't submit their guns to California's drop test even though it was a Model 15 long out of production, I had to provide a trigger lock and certify that I had a safe to keep it in even though we had no children at home and it was simply a hassle and pain in the patooty.

Shortly after moving to Missouri I purchased a S&W Model 637 hammerless for concealed carry. It took about 10 minutes and I walked out of the store with the revolver and a box of ammo.

A few days later I took the required class and shooting test and had my certificate for a CCW which was duly issued by our Sheriff.

Want to take a guess as to which transaction and experience I preferred?

Old 06-15-2014, 02:44 PM

13,951 posts, read 10,324,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I bought one handgun in CA within the past 10 years. I had to wait the two weeks to claim it, it had to be a privately consigned gun because it hadn't been approved for merchant sale since S&W wouldn't submit their guns to California's drop test even though it was a Model 15 long out of production, I had to provide a trigger lock and certify that I had a safe to keep it in even though we had no children at home and it was simply a hassle and pain in the patooty.
?
That's the idea. If they can't ban gun ownership, they can certainly do their best to make it such a hassle that most average people wouldn't even bother with it.

Their goal is to attach so many burdens to it, that it is practically regulated out of existence.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:39 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,405,147 times
Actually, Texas has open carry for long arms, just not pistols. But you can get a CCL with a minimum of effort.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:23 PM

4,506 posts, read 5,261,442 times
Texas isn't even close to being as gun-friendly as it thinks it is!
One of only six states without open carry ....pffft!

Old 06-16-2014, 03:18 PM

32,823 posts, read 30,083,197 times
Ya it's a pita here but you do what you have to do to get by. First and foremost is that you are ALWAYS going either to or from the gun range. If I have a weapon in the car it's because I'm going to or from the gun range. Second, it has to be in a locked case, ok. Check.

I buy on average one weapon a year. It's a hassle but all these lil do nothing nit pick, bed wetting, feel good laws aren't going to keep me from hunting, carrying or shooting. The wait times are a joke, adjust accordingly.

Plus, with an assault style rifle you can still go featureless.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:07 PM

555 posts, read 631,676 times
Whipper:
Montana was #11 in the survey.

"How could you not know Cali was restrictive?"

I've never done any business there. Most of the work I do is very small-scale; customizing, refurbishing, and some experimental work. I haven't paid much attention to anything outside of Washington, except what comes up in the news.
I knew the laws were restrictive, but since I know a lot of Californians own guns and that there are conservative parts of the state I didn't think they were as bad as often portrayed (at least not statewide). Now I'm learning they're actually worse than I thought.

"Are you saying you're surprised those states didn't make the gun friendly list?"

No, I was being rhetorical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or