U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 03:57 PM

8,088 posts, read 7,324,767 times

Advertisements

Bushmaster A3 Patrolman Flat top Receiver

or

Panther Arms AP4 16" Carbine

or

neither?

They are the current CDNN Specials.

Recommendations. I was trained and used similar but they were genuine Colt mil spec.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 05:25 PM

9,427 posts, read 5,526,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post

or

or

neither?

Recommendations. I was trained and used similar but they were genuine Colt mil spec.
Get something with a quad rails...

Old 06-12-2014, 10:47 PM

2,749 posts, read 2,616,745 times
I'd probably pick Palmetto State Armory with the CHF barrel over either of those two. Colt 6920 can be had for less than $1K, now.

Quad rails are nice, Keymod is the new fad, but if all you are going to mount is a light and a VFG and a sling, the Magpul MOE polymer handguards will get the job done very well on the cheap.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:32 AM

2,181 posts, read 2,038,766 times
You can build one that is better. If you don't want to go that route, get a colt 6920, or even better, a 6940 for a little more cash. The monolithic upper w/ free floated barrel and quad rails are all nice to have. My 6940 was ridiculously accurate (I sold it for 3500 during the post sandy hook craze, no regrets cause I just recently picked up a scar16s for 2300, lol).

Aero precision makes nice lowers(they actually build lowers for other companies), and imo the best monolithic upper on the market. For 1000 bucks you can build a nice gun, to make it really nice you will have to splurge for a nice barrel and a geissele trigger(buy that trigger no matter what gun you end up with, trust me, its worth every penny).

http://aeroprecisionusa.com/

Old 06-13-2014, 06:44 AM

I've owned several monolithic uppers from Noveske and would not do it again. Why?

-You are stuck with that rail. Period. Other systems can be changed out.
-If you bend that rail on a barricade, car door, wall, etc. while training, that sucks. One of my friends trashed an LMT MRP the first time he did a shoot-house with it. He's kindof a bull in a china shop, but Ranger's aren't known for coddling things. They use them. Anyway, all of these reasons are why I won't own another. That, and they cost more. More money for less performance and flexibility. They also tend to be heavy.

ETA: Regarding Geissele triggers, they are awesome, but they are also very diverse. Pick the correct one for your application. Honestly, an ALG QMS will do 98% of what the population at large needs it to do, but if you want something nicer, the Geissele SSA is a pretty solid stand-by. I personally swapped mine for Super V's because I like a more single-stage feel, but to each their own, and the SSA has a solid reputation. Still, in your shoes, $200ish for a trigger is kindof a lot. That's half of an Aimpoint PRO. I'd go QMS, it's $45, and you will have to put in a LOT of trigger-time to actually see a difference in actual performance vs. the SSA. However, if you have the money to burn...but this thread didn't start off as a "money to burn" type question, given the rifle choices presented.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:27 PM

5,414 posts, read 7,633,076 times
I have a monolithic upper from Vltor (I believe they're the same one Noveske uses) and apart from being a bit heavier, it's great.

Vltor also has a lifetime warranty on their monolithic uppers.

OP, really not sure which I would go with. If it is a gift, you don't want to insult the giver by being picky. I would look at the specs for each and read reviews of them online and go from there. Bushmaster has been blown out of the water in quality and features by other manufacturers. PSA makes a very good stainless steel-barreled AR with a free floated handguard for $670 or so. (you'd probably need to buy the sights, I believe it's a flat-top.)

Cheapest option is to build, particularly if you want something really quality without paying the coin for a fully assembled boutique rifle. I spent ~$2000 building my AR and it's likely far better than anything you can buy fully assembled.

Colt 6920s are on sale everywhere, they're sub- $1000 now, including shipping and transfer from the gun store.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
I have a monolithic upper from Vltor (I believe they're the same one Noveske uses) and apart from being a bit heavier, it's great.

Vltor also has a lifetime warranty on their monolithic uppers.

OP, really not sure which I would go with. If it is a gift, you don't want to insult the giver by being picky. I would look at the specs for each and read reviews of them online and go from there. Bushmaster has been blown out of the water in quality and features by other manufacturers. PSA makes a very good stainless steel-barreled AR with a free floated handguard for $670 or so. (you'd probably need to buy the sights, I believe it's a flat-top.)

Cheapest option is to build, particularly if you want something really quality without paying the coin for a fully assembled boutique rifle. I spent ~$2000 building my AR and it's likely far better than anything you can buy fully assembled.

Colt 6920s are on sale everywhere, they're sub- $1000 now, including shipping and transfer from the gun store.
Yes, vltor. Both of my guns had unacceptable poi shifts suppressed and Noveske scrapped one upper and I sold the other. Not a fan. Thread con centricity was verified by my friend at Surefire. It wasn't the issue. Noone knew what the issue was definitively but Noveske scrapped the vltor instead of reusing it in the replacement build.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:08 PM

4,153 posts, read 7,653,967 times
Quote:

or

or

neither?

The parts used to build Panther and Bushmaster are probably produced by the same machine shop. So quality and build material wise, they could be the same basic rifle. Anyhow, you can change out furniture and install railings later. I would opt for a flat top upper receiver though.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:53 PM

3,194 posts, read 4,243,159 times
Don't count out PSA Palmetto State Armory. Sign up for their e-mail deals, they constantly run specials.

My AR is built from them. However, I must also throw the caveat out there that I look at guns like cars and houses: buy used so the new buyer took the depreciation. IMO, you have to try to wear a gun out. Even with the LE agency trade in guns, they have holster wear but internally, I doubt they've been fired that much. Of course, there are some guns out there that hold their value well, just like cars and houses depending on your neighborhood. But for most AR's, I think you can save quite a bit by going used, that money you save would be great for ammo, mods, etc...

Old 06-14-2014, 12:05 AM

16,886 posts, read 12,548,035 times
Quote:

or

or

neither?

if you can get the best then go for a BCM. if you want piston driven, then get an HK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or