U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 07:14 AM

9,979 posts, read 7,227,161 times

Advertisements

Why do you want to carry a gun? I suspect it is for protection against wild animals both 4 legged and 2 ?

It doesn't seem right that certain states would take away your right to actually protect your life.
Even sadder is if you leave the gun at home but take a knife you could also get in trouble in certain states depending on the style of blade and length.
What you are planning on doing, backpacking across America, is in my mind what harkens back to the founding of this country and represents a freedom where a man can put one foot in front of the other to see the world.
It is sad that back in the day a man would have been foolish to venture into the wilderness without a firearm to protect himself but today due to breaking laws it might very well be foolish to take one yet the danger hasn't really changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 02:50 PM

13,951 posts, read 10,376,803 times
Something else for the OP to consider....

Especially if you are going to be going through extreme anti-gun states, you should think about this. Guns are a really hot topic right now. The debate over them continues to rage on. A lot of attorney generals and prosecutors who are anti-gun would love nothing more than to make an example out of some out-of-state resident who came in to THEIR state and broke THEIR gun laws. It's happened before. There was a story not long ago about a FL resident who was traveling in another state and he had a CCW permit but didn't have his gun on him. He got pulled over and they ran his name and found out he had a CCW. They really ran him through the ringer before letting him go.

It's insane, but it's a reality. Don't rely on anyone in power to have any common sense whatsoever.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:16 PM

177 posts, read 255,372 times
Illinois law requires the firearm be unloaded and in a case designed for a firearm of the type> because of home rule many of the larger towns/city require that the magazine also be unloaded and in a separate case. Some towns require the trigger to be locked during transport. In the more rural sections of the state the magazine can be loaded and kept in the same case.
The Illinois CCW law is not reciprocal with any other state so having it loaded outside of your property, a gun range, or a hunting area would be considered unlawful.

To be on the safe side I would limit all magazines to 10 rounds and under. There are a lot of states that have that restriction.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:31 AM

3,807 posts, read 8,556,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmenn2014 View Post
Illinois law requires the firearm be unloaded and in a case designed for a firearm of the type> because of home rule many of the larger towns/city require that the magazine also be unloaded and in a separate case. Some towns require the trigger to be locked during transport. In the more rural sections of the state the magazine can be loaded and kept in the same case.
The Illinois CCW law is not reciprocal with any other state so having it loaded outside of your property, a gun range, or a hunting area would be considered unlawful.

To be on the safe side I would limit all magazines to 10 rounds and under. There are a lot of states that have that restriction.
in ILL, isn't there also something (i could perhaps be thinking of the Chicago market) where it is 'suggested' to have the ammo in it's own separate locked container as well to help avoid travel issues? I can see that able to be done in a vehicle, but not so sure if one has only a couple bags as they travel around.

Old 06-16-2014, 05:53 AM

10,339 posts, read 10,519,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmenn2014 View Post

I would like to see a federal law requiring reciprocity for CCWs the same way there is for a drivers license. I'm not big on federal laws for any little thing, but this is something I believe they need to step in and deliver considering there is already an obvious precedence as well as numerous legal issues that can be laid to rest before they even get off the ground.

Old 06-16-2014, 10:52 AM

3,184 posts, read 2,785,141 times
Post New Illinois law enhances protection for interstate travellers

Actually, Illinois state law now provides very good protection for a gun owner who has a CHL in their home state who wants to drive across Illinois, you don't even have to unload your handgun at the border:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB0183
(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
If you stop off in one of the Illinois towns that have their own laws about guns and magazine capacity, you will be persecuted under local law. I strongly recommend fueling up at the border and just driving straight across on Interstate highways until you reach the next state; do not stop and spend any money in Illinois.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:01 AM

3,807 posts, read 8,556,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
If you stop off in one of the Illinois towns that have their own laws about guns and magazine capacity, you will be persecuted under local law. I strongly recommend fueling up at the border and just driving straight across on Interstate highways until you reach the next state; do not stop and spend any money in Illinois.
yeah i think about that when we drive back up on our WI visits and i bring my handgun for hitting the range/family property for practice and even some add'l "learning". It is kept stored & empty, locked in back, and separate from any ammo (also locked). I try my hardest to fill up in IN (cheaper anyway), then cross my legs if i have to so i dont stop until i hit the WI border lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting