U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 12:00 PM

2,748 posts, read 2,614,148 times

Advertisements

Ever buy a .22 for your kid, or a youngster in the family? A shotgun for your husband? A deer rifle for your daughter? A pistol for your wife?

Well...you may have broken the law, the Supreme Court now has ruled.

Supreme Court Rules on 'Straw Purchaser' Law - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 01:42 PM

51,067 posts, read 29,145,480 times
Somebody needs to remind Kagan that there are provisions on background check laws which prevent such purchases - The last time I purchased a firearm, there was something on the paper work I had to fill out for the background check to indicate that I was not buying the firearm for somebody else, so theoretically, if somebody lied on the application, they would be breaking the law in some way, if the gun ends up being used in a criminal act.

I don't care how much money they give me, I will not purchase a weapon for somebody I do not know. If I wanted to purchase firearm as a gift for somebody I know very well, they I'd bring them with me.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:40 PM

32,802 posts, read 30,052,880 times
What about "borrowing" weapons?

Old 06-16-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Somebody needs to remind Kagan that there are provisions on background check laws which prevent such purchases - The last time I purchased a firearm, there was something on the paper work I had to fill out for the background check to indicate that I was not buying the firearm for somebody else, so theoretically, if somebody lied on the application, they would be breaking the law in some way, if the gun ends up being used in a criminal act.

Ooops.. Bad wording, laws that Prevent don't necessarily do so, I should have included "are supposed to Prevent such purchases", since just because such laws exist, it won't prevent individuals with criminal intents from breaking them.

Like I mentioned in my previous message, it's simple and good common sense for anyone with no past criminal history to not purchase a firearm for somebody they do not know for the simple reason the person they're buying it for might use the weapon for criminal purposes and when the criminal is caught in possession of the weapon, the person who purchased it will face criminal charges as well.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What about "borrowing" weapons?
I wouldn't loan, or I should say "Let them use" any of my firearms unless I know them very well and I'm with them, such as at a shooting range. Whenever I let somebody else use any of my firearms, it's close friends or family. Otherwise, loaning somebody a firearm and letting them walk away with it is not a good idea.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:53 PM

32,802 posts, read 30,052,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I wouldn't loan, or I should say "Let them use" any of my firearms unless I know them very well and I'm with them, such as at a shooting range. Whenever I let somebody else use any of my firearms, it's close friends or family. Otherwise, loaning somebody a firearm and letting them walk away with it is not a good idea.
I'm more concerned about their past. I have a close friend I invited to go hunting. He told me he couldn't carry a gun because of a felony

But, if they are so worried about a straw purchase what is to keep someone from just borrowing a gun. None of the most recent mental cases shooting stuff up would have tipped a hand to a family member or friend their intentions.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:45 AM

2,748 posts, read 2,614,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm more concerned about their past. I have a close friend I invited to go hunting. He told me he couldn't carry a gun because of a felony

But, if they are so worried about a straw purchase what is to keep someone from just borrowing a gun. None of the most recent mental cases shooting stuff up would have tipped a hand to a family member or friend their intentions.
Actually, that's wrong. The gay guy in California that nutted up and ran people over/shot people/stabbed people, his family actually called the police to report his recent behavior.

Rampage in college town began with stabbings - CNN.com

Quote:
"It was apparent he was very mentally disturbed," Brown said.

So disturbed that a family member asked law enforcement officers to check on his welfare April 30, Brown said. They went to his residence, found Rodger "polite and courteous," and left, Brown said.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:07 AM

16,886 posts, read 12,543,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Ever buy a .22 for your kid, or a youngster in the family? A shotgun for your husband? A deer rifle for your daughter? A pistol for your wife?

Well...you may have broken the law, the Supreme Court now has ruled.

Supreme Court Rules on 'Straw Purchaser' Law - ABC News

I do not buy my firearms for someone else to own. but if one of my daughters wants a firearm, then all they have to do is ask me and I shall give it to them. kagan is an idiot and should try reading before opening her fat piehole.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:00 AM

5,191 posts, read 3,748,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I do not buy my firearms for someone else to own. but if one of my daughters wants a firearm, then all they have to do is ask me and I shall give it to them. kagan is an idiot and should try reading before opening her fat piehole.
Under the SCOTUS judgement that's still legal.

The judgement only changes one thing...

You can't accept payment for the purchased firearm before paying for that firearm.

So for instance if you want to gift a gun, raffle a gun, etc., the judgement does not prohibit it. It's explicitly excluded in the majority opinion. So too is the "you can sell it just after you bought it" routine.

The issue here was that the defendant took payment for the firearm before purchase. The SCOTUS majority found that to be a bridge too far, and found for the prosecution. Personally I don't agree with it and I agree with Scalia's dissent that there is no "agency" applicable, but all that it really does is require that the order of events need to be, that the purchaser has not taken any payment for the firearm before he purchases it, once purchased, everything else can go on as normal.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:08 AM

31,997 posts, read 17,271,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Actually, that's wrong. The gay guy in California that nutted up and ran people over/shot people/stabbed people, his family actually called the police to report his recent behavior.

Rampage in college town began with stabbings - CNN.com
Where does it say he was gay? It doesn't, it says he was angry at being shunned by women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting