U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 11:54 PM

15,194 posts, read 17,734,740 times

Advertisements

I have a RWS pellet rifle and almost never missed pine cones at 200-300 feet with just the iron sights. Great little pellet gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 11:13 AM

32,941 posts, read 30,188,716 times
This looks awesome.

.50-Caliber Dragon Slayer air rifle review from Pyramyd Air

Old 06-23-2014, 11:21 AM

4,647 posts, read 5,452,076 times
I have a Beeman that I bought used at a show for $50, .177 caliber, iron sights, works well on gophers

Nice thing about it is that its weight and balance are comparable to a 22 rifle, and out to 50 yards shoots very similarly.

Great for practice when you can't get 22 shells

Old 06-24-2014, 10:11 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,264,751 times
I bought my daughter a Crossman which is decent, though it requires 10 pumps for full power. It does pellets and BBs. It's plastic but it gets the job done.

I have a Gamo Bull Whisperer pellet gun in 0.177. Just open the breach and boom. Some ammo are rated for supersonic performance. Some are subsonic. It's quite loud. Realistically, it's a 25 yard rifle. The factory scope isn't good. I upgraded to a budget scope to give me more magnification.

They're fun, and it allows you to practice in the backyard without the neighbors calling the police.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:23 AM

177 posts, read 254,934 times
Default Check your towns laws

Some states classify firearms by Caliber and Muzzle velocity as to whether they are toys or firearms for purposes of discharge and transportation. Many towns and cities have discharge laws within their control boundaries.

If you are just plinking just about any one of them will work even the old standby the Daisy Red Ryder (it'll poke your eye out from Christmas Story Quote error on purpose)

As an instructor I've taken classes that use it to teach eye hand coordination in acquiring motor memory.

See if the old Federal Premium video " ...Wingshooting from BB to Shotgun..." is still available

the ranges they use are 15-20 ft and the backstop is either a cardboard box or a heave tarp hung loose.

If you are going to do target shooting at long or medium ranges over 50 ft to 50 yd a nice break gun (Single stroke spring cylinder) with a nice rifled steel barrel should be considered as they are consistent from shot to shot making for very repeatable shot placement.

As with all firearms they should always be treated as if they were loaded and never pointed at anything you do not intend to shoot. NO INCIDENTS PLEASE

Old 07-17-2014, 01:58 PM

4,101 posts, read 5,916,185 times
You wouldn't want what I recommend. I own two R1 Beeman pellet rifles, one is 177 caliber, the other is 25 caliber. I wish I had an R1 in 5 MM, because I feel that is the best of the bunch, velocity and energy wise. These firearms are highly accurate, far better than most Sheridans or pump up Crosman's. People seem to brag on what they have and say it is the best, I also have a 177 caliber Feinwerkbau model 124 that I paid $300 for back in 1986, it isn't the best, but it too is accurate. Spring piston pellet rifles have an advantage over pump up rifles because the pressure behind the piston is not compressed until the trigger is pulled, so the pressure is more consistent. I suspect many of today's pellet rifles are made in China, so far I haven't seen a Chinese gun that is worth much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting