Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 10:33 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
in a word fear
the reason people have permits and carry big scary guns that fire alot is bek they are afraid.
they think that if they have that glock that will be the end of their problems when they use it
no friend that is going to be the beginning.
signed a big NRA supporter
Speak for yourself my freind. I have no fear. I live in a very nice town with an extremely low crime rate. Never have felt threatened even once walking through my town..... not even when I was walking from one end of town to the other at 2 o'clock in the morning making my way from one bar to the next....

It's about preparedness, not fear. I'll carry a gun for the same reason I keep a fire extinguisher under my sink...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 10:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
drat i got a fellow gun supporter i was fishing for an internet tough guy to post and say he didnt need guns he could beat 50 guys bare handed using his bob's school of karate skills.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:39 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You don't forsee any situation where the crook getting close enough to grab your gun might not be preventable?

What if you're walking along and some thug jumps out from behind a dumpster and just pummels you? You can't always avoid it...

Who knows what some of these crazies will do or why they do it.
This is why I say the best defense continues to be what's between your ears...

If I was walking alone on a quiet street at night (and this happend to me in D.C. between my ATM and my hotel), I would not walk on the sidewalk. I walk in the middle of street anticipating someone may jump and surprise me from behind a dumpster or a building. By walking in the middle of street, I added another 20 feet distance between us so I have more time to react. Better yet, I send a signal to the would-be robber that this guy is prepared. He will not be an easy target.... Then again, if 20 of them show up blocking both exits, then I miscalculated and better bend over & kiss my a$$ goodbye. So it is always a risk-based decision that you're making based on your understanding of situations.

Likewise, I have "situational awareness" of who's around me at all times. If I was in a crowded bus/ train, I would not put my wallet in my back pocket (too easy to be picked), I'd move them to my front pocket.

If I draw my gun, I'd be at a highten awareness. No one is coming within x feet of me without my permission. I practice gun-retention technique including the way I stand, where my weak hand is vs. my strong hand, etc. If necessary, how do I engage in hand-to-hand combat while retaining my gun. After awhile, these become second-nature and "common sense".

Old 06-30-2014, 10:45 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Great, what's the solution to 2, and 4?

Tap-Rack-Bang
FTF and FTE should not be an issue if you are using good quality ammunition in that firearm that you have previously tested and works with it and you maintain that weapon adequately. It's all prior to being in that situation work, if you're throwing some new ammunition in your carry weapon and it fails to perform as expected, then you get what you deserve.

What's the solution to 3? Get out your toolkit and try an on the fly fix under fire...? I don't think so..
Solution to #3 is the same as the solution to #2 and #4. Get good quality firearm and ammunition. Try them before you decide to carry them.

Or you can say "Excuse me, Mr. Bad guy... while I Tap-Rack-Bang my semiauto...with my sweaty trembling hands....."

Old 06-30-2014, 10:52 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,990,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
This is why I say the best defense continues to be what's between your ears...

If I was walking alone on a quiet street at night (and this happend to me in D.C. between my ATM and my hotel), I would not walk on the sidewalk. I walk in the middle of street anticipating someone may jump and surprise me from behind a dumpster or a building. By walking in the middle of street, I added another 20 feet distance between us so I have more time to react. Better yet, I send a signal to the would-be robber that this guy is prepared. He will not be an easy target.... Then again, if 20 of them show up blocking both exits, then I miscalculated and better bend over & kiss my a$$ goodbye. So it is always a risk-based decision that you're making based on your understanding of situations.

Likewise, I have "situational awareness" of who's around me at all times. If I was in a crowded bus/ train, I would not put my wallet in my back pocket (too easy to be picked), I'd move them to my front pocket.

If I draw my gun, I'd be at a highten awareness. No one is coming within x feet of me without my permission. I practice gun-retention technique including the way I stand, where my weak hand is vs. my strong hand, etc. If necessary, how do I engage in hand-to-hand combat while retaining my gun. After awhile, these become second-nature and "common sense".
Bad. No. You focus on surviving the situation. No planning feverishly on losing.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:53 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,990,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Solution to #3 is the same as the solution to #2 and #4. Get good quality firearm and ammunition. Try them before you decide to carry them.

Or you can say "Excuse me, Mr. Bad guy... while I Tap-Rack-Bang my semiauto...with my sweaty trembling hands....."
If you cant grip the slide well enough, I'd be surprised. In one handed drills I use my belt or anything nearby, to cycle the slide, though.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:54 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
drat i got a fellow gun supporter i was fishing for an internet tough guy to post and say he didnt need guns he could beat 50 guys bare handed using his bob's school of karate skills.
You know where to go if you want to find those.....

Old 06-30-2014, 11:22 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
I carry both. I carry 2 Glock 17's in 9mm, one on my right hip and one in the small of my back, with a 4 magazine pouch on the left side.

I also carry in an ankle holster a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Special. Both of the firearms use the same type of ammo (critical defense), just different calibers.

I am also thinking of using a Maxpedition Versipack for my main CCW firearm.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:25 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
If you cant grip the slide well enough, I'd be surprised. In one handed drills I use my belt or anything nearby, to cycle the slide, though.

good fast way to 1 hand tap, rack, ready is to tap the bottom of the magazine on your leg or knee, put the rear sight on your belt and push down forcefully, clearing the slide/chamber of whatever and you are ready to go.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:56 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Off duty, in plain clothes, I carry two handguns: A Sig P226 9mm with a total of 3 magazines. I also carry a Glock 26; again with 3 magazines. In my SUV, I have my M4 and Remington 870. I never go anywhere with a car, unless I'm out of the country, without my rifle/shotgun combo.

When I go hiking/backpacking I carry the same two handguns. I go running with my Glock in my pocket and a spare magazine.

Again, you don't have to be military or police to prepare for the worst. People who do not, are the ones who walk around with a gun and they are the one's killed. They don't have the proper mindset and proper education to face a deadly confrontation and WIN. To WIN you have to take the fight to the enemy; doesn't matter who you are.

And yes, I've carried about 40 lbs on my body for the past 25 years. Thank god I don't have much longer to go. Even when I retire, I'll have 2 guns on me and my rifle/shotgun combo in my SUV. Its faster to take out a second gun, then reload or clear a malfunction.

Oh, one more thing: If I were on the beach, yes, I'd still have my two handguns with me. Tucked in my bathing suit? Probably not, however, not improbable to have one. In my bag which I would have with me? Definitely. I take 2 guns with me to church.
That's great that you carry all that even during your off time. I am glad we have police officers who still recognize the individual's right to carry, too. However, I find your posts a little on the "blustery" side, especially given the state in which you live. You are able to carry all that because you are police officer. Any of your fellow Californians would be rolled up and thrown behind bars for having in their possession (on their person, in their car, etc) the same suite of weapons and munitions you have. Not only that, but YOU would be the one the state expects to cuff them, book them, etc.

So while it appears you have the tactical aspect of this whole thing figured out, it appears you've given little to no thought on the moral aspect of it, that being an intrusive state government that is hostile to Constitutional rights and institutes legislation designed to infringe on said rights. Maybe you have thought this over and simply have not expressed it here on this thread. I hope so, but I fear not. Someone who has done so would likely be a little more reserved in their stance on carrying.

I'm glad to hear you've survived a firefight and are unharmed. I wonder how you will perform when you are asked to, in the performance of your duties, violate your conscience by trampling on the rights of a fellow Californian and U.S. Citizen simply because they were carrying a weapon/ammo the state deemed unfit. I know a lot of people, myself included, who have survived fire fights. I'll be more impressed with you when you survive that moral fire fight that we all know is imminent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting