Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 07:58 PM

555 posts, read 803,296 times

Advertisements

An issue though many haven't addressed on this thread is this: attackers almost always have the element of surprise. There's a reaction-delay in most people's thought processes during an armed attack. It's much different in war or in some the training seminars, because there, you're anticipating an attack.

As an example, some of the police commenters here may remember this story:

'Horror scene' as 4 Lakewood police officers shot, killed | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

In this case, a local dirtbag ambushed four police officers who were on a coffee break and, in spite of their extensive training, two were dead before the others even reacted.

Technically speaking what most of us are describing here is not strictly speaking defense, but counter-attack. For the second purpose, you need something light, fast, and maneuverable because you have to react and adapt to a fluid and unpredictable situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 10:56 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
An issue though many haven't addressed on this thread is this: attackers almost always have the element of surprise. There's a reaction-delay in most people's thought processes during an armed attack. It's much different in war or in some the training seminars, because there, you're anticipating an attack.

As an example, some of the police commenters here may remember this story:

'Horror scene' as 4 Lakewood police officers shot, killed | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

In this case, a local dirtbag ambushed four police officers who were on a coffee break and, in spite of their extensive training, two were dead before the others even reacted.

Technically speaking what most of us are describing here is not strictly speaking defense, but counter-attack. For the second purpose, you need something light, fast, and maneuverable because you have to react and adapt to a fluid and unpredictable situation.
100% agreed. This is where training the rest of the system comes into play, because I don't think a revolver or semi-auto are going to be what matters regarding getting yourself in motion.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:07 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
How does this work? This is the one thing I have had issues with. When I go jogging in 100* weather, I will be honest, I prefer to do it shirtless, otherwise I will end up chafing under the arms once I get sweaty. I prefer lighter shorts. I know that pendulum swinging around would be mighty impressive, but...so how do you carry even a G42 without that?
Front right pocket of my running shorts. Spare mag goes in my left front pocket. Uncomfortable? Yes, it is. However, I don't train to run a marathon. I run 3-4 miles, 3-4 times a week. That is all. I can put up with 30 mins of being uncomfortable.

And yes, it gets to 100 plus here where I live too; no humidity, but it does. I just wear a shirt.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:15 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
That's great that you carry all that even during your off time. I am glad we have police officers who still recognize the individual's right to carry, too. However, I find your posts a little on the "blustery" side, especially given the state in which you live. You are able to carry all that because you are police officer. Any of your fellow Californians would be rolled up and thrown behind bars for having in their possession (on their person, in their car, etc) the same suite of weapons and munitions you have. Not only that, but YOU would be the one the state expects to cuff them, book them, etc.

So while it appears you have the tactical aspect of this whole thing figured out, it appears you've given little to no thought on the moral aspect of it, that being an intrusive state government that is hostile to Constitutional rights and institutes legislation designed to infringe on said rights. Maybe you have thought this over and simply have not expressed it here on this thread. I hope so, but I fear not. Someone who has done so would likely be a little more reserved in their stance on carrying.

I'm glad to hear you've survived a firefight and are unharmed. I wonder how you will perform when you are asked to, in the performance of your duties, violate your conscience by trampling on the rights of a fellow Californian and U.S. Citizen simply because they were carrying a weapon/ammo the state deemed unfit. I know a lot of people, myself included, who have survived fire fights. I'll be more impressed with you when you survive that moral fire fight that we all know is imminent.
Oh I give it a lot of thought. The fact it is, states trampling on rights of the people is YOUR fault. Its not mine. The PEOPLE have allowed politician's to trample those rights; not me. I uphold the laws which are passed by the politicians and thus, what the people of California have agreed too.

Don't want carrying a concealed weapon legal? Fine by me. Change the laws. Until then, I have no choice but to enforce the laws the people have wanted and, moreover passed.

And, I have survived many firefights; both as a US Marine and a police officer. If you ever read what I've written on gun control, you will see I do not believe in it. I believe in background checks, I believe in banning nut cases and convicted felons not to have firearms. I believe assault weapons should be legal. No, I don't believe in "open carry" of any firearm.

Would I go door to door and confiscate firearms from law abiding citizens? Nope. I would not. I've said that here on this board too. In fact, MOST line level police officers, such as me, have the same attitudes toward firearms as I do. Like it or not, some people do not deserve to have firearms; those that do? More power to them and arm themselves to the teeth. Doesn't bother me in the least.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Front right pocket of my running shorts. Spare mag goes in my left front pocket. Uncomfortable? Yes, it is. However, I don't train to run a marathon. I run 3-4 miles, 3-4 times a week. That is all. I can put up with 30 mins of being uncomfortable.

And yes, it gets to 100 plus here where I live too; no humidity, but it does. I just wear a shirt.
Maybe we wear different clothing. I prefer loose running shorts by Underarmor, and running 100 yards would have that thing slinging around like crazy, possibly flying out. I even carry my cell-phone (listen to Slaker Radio) so that it doesn't.

Re: humidity/just wearing a shirt:

We do not have any nudist friendly places here. Cali is a lot more liberal, I cannot "just wear a shirt", although, how the hell do you carry the pistol, then?

Also, regarding humidity, I went hiking/running through the desert in Nye Cty. Nevada once. It's cake in 100* weather wearing long pants and a T shirt. Try doing that here in LA with 85-95% humidity and the same 100*. It's a whole 'nother ball game.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Oh I give it a lot of thought. The fact it is, states trampling on rights of the people is YOUR fault. Its not mine. The PEOPLE have allowed politician's to trample those rights; not me. I uphold the laws which are passed by the politicians and thus, what the people of California have agreed too.

Don't want carrying a concealed weapon legal? Fine by me. Change the laws. Until then, I have no choice but to enforce the laws the people have wanted and, moreover passed.

And, I have survived many firefights; both as a US Marine and a police officer. If you ever read what I've written on gun control, you will see I do not believe in it. I believe in background checks, I believe in banning nut cases and convicted felons not to have firearms. I believe assault weapons should be legal. No, I don't believe in "open carry" of any firearm.

Would I go door to door and confiscate firearms from law abiding citizens? Nope. I would not. I've said that here on this board too. In fact, MOST line level police officers, such as me, have the same attitudes toward firearms as I do. Like it or not, some people do not deserve to have firearms; those that do? More power to them and arm themselves to the teeth. Doesn't bother me in the least.
It's a very ugly show-down that is coming. I hate to be an alarmist, but sooner or later, a law is going to pass. Look at NY...I'm watching. The rest of the country is watching.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:11 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
You can't extricate yourself from the problem that easily. Either it's OUR fault (a concept I with which I agree and includes YOU too because you are part of "the people") or we (being you, I and other gun owners) have lost control and the ability to make our influence felt. Don't blame me while holding yourself blameless. You are part of the system too, my friend. Society is not a spectator sport. You are one of the players, so it is your fault as much as anyone's.

Quote:

All of this is irrelevant to me. I don't need to know more about where you are coming from to better understand your position. I knew you were a Marine already because you incorporated the mission of the Marine rifle squad in one of your posts. But the others were discussing self defense, and to "locate, close with, and destroy the enemy" is a decidedly offensive action. Marines sometimes go looking for a fight. Self defense by definition eliminates this. You've given advice on this forum that if someone were to follow within your jurisdiction you would be bound by the laws of your state and probably municipality to arrest.

You make it sound so easy to own and carry, but you are able to do so because your office as a police officer. You are kidding yourself and woefully naive if you believe California would allow you to carry all that hardware if you were not a police officer. With this in mind, perhaps the advice you give should be tailored to reality a little more. Most people pursue a conceal carry permit for purposes of self defense. Most people who carry are not looking to "locate, close with and destroy" anything. They may not even draw their weapon in a convenience store if they deem all the bad guy wants is the cash from the drawer and a bottle of booze. And even as an adamant supporter of the Constitution and by extension the 2nd Amendment, I believe it is not prudent to tool around with an M4, pump action shotgun and multiple hand guns. An every day citizen doing that potentially draws negative attention to himself and damages the image of responsible gun owners because it can be perceived as defiant and a show of force. Not exactly the message we are trying to send, or should be sending.

A smart carrier knows how to avoid drawing attention to himself/herself. A smart carrier is in tune with the general public's feel about arms and assimilates to the best of his/her ability. A smart carrier knows the threshold for a clean self defense shoot seems to be steadily rising in most states. With this in mind, a smart carrier reads your advice, chuckles, and dismisses it as non tenable for every day citizens.

Last edited by iknowftbll; 07-02-2014 at 04:45 AM..

Old 07-02-2014, 07:43 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Yeah, semi-auto's are compact, thinner, lighter, and easier to carry, they often hold a few more rounds
You summed up exactly why I carry a semi-auto. For me, its primarily about what I am most likely to carry regularly. My pocket semi in the holster is completely unobtrusive. A small revolver would be SLIGHTLY bulkier, which means I would be less likely to carry it in certain situations due to comfort.

This is not to say that I am opposed to revolvers. I think revolvers are more fun to shoot, are dead simple to use and are essentially fool-proof. It simply comes down to the fact that the wheel adds a bit more bulk. The extra rounds afforded by a semi are a nice bonus too.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:33 AM

966 posts, read 1,346,447 times
I carry both, I always have a NAA Mini or Magnum revolver in my pocket, they are small enough that you do not notice them, and it sure beats throwing rocks. I also carry a PA-63 when I carry concealed.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:41 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
I also carry a PA-63 when I carry concealed.
Wow. Can I ask why you carry that?

One of the few guns I've sold over the years was a PA-63. I found it reliable, but terribly inaccurate and the recoil was unmanageable. I guess it could have had something to do with the grips - the original grips were molded for the right hand, so I replaced them with some custom rosewood grips. It looked very nice, but with no checkering or anything on the grips, they were kind of smooth and didn't provide a very good grip on the weapon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting