Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 11:17 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I agree with this. Gun owners are a funny lot. You'll get a lot of them who agree with the bolded statement and that is a good thing. But you'll also see a lot who swear by a certain make or model and try to convince and convert everyone else as if it is a religion. I've had people tell me I'm "wrong" for some of the choices I've made in selecting the firearms I have. I'm not a rude guy, but when someone tells me I'm wrong on such a personal and subjective matter as firearms, I get pretty dismissive of them and pretty much anything else they have to say. And I'm not shy about telling them, either. It has made for some awkward moments at the gun counter.

With that said, I firmly believe the right gun for anyone is the one that a person can handle confidently and competently. If a .22lr Bersa is the only gun that fits this description then that is the gun I'd recommend for that person, over a .380, 9mm, .45, etc.

Could not agree more with this, first and for most, a firearm has to fit your hand, for me that means large firearms, I have tried some of the smaller one, but when I can only get two fingers on it to hold the weapon, then it is not for me. My wife on the other hand she has small hands, and for her it has to be the small frame weapons that she can get her hands around, and be able to work it properly.

As for the original post question, I have carried both semi-autos and revolvers for carry conceal, and I did not feel underarmed with either, it is just a personal choice.

Last edited by rigby06; 07-04-2014 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 11:25 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
Could not agree more with this, first and for most, a firearm has to fit your hand, for me that means large firearms, I have tried some of the smaller one, but when I can only get two fingers on it to hold the weapon, then it is not for me. My wife on the other hand she has small hands, and for her it has to be the small frame weapons that she can get here hands around, and be able to work it properly.
When I first started teaching my wife to shoot one of the first hand guns I introduced her to was the Beretta M9. My reasoning was it is an easy weapon to learn, shoot, handle, and maintain. The military's use of this weapon implies simplicity and reliability, even if it is not the most fancy handgun and by no means a "must have" in anyone's collection. My wife found it manageable in terms of recoil, but she struggled with the pistol grip, which I admit is a little "stout."

The next time around we tried a S&W Model 60 and she loved it. After that one we didn't need to look any farther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
As for the original post question, I have carried both semi-autos and revolvers for carry conceal, and I did not feel underarmed with either, it is just a personal choice.
When you engage your brain before you engage your weapon you're never underarmed! (Well, some people may be, but we'll not go there! )

Old 07-06-2014, 05:19 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
My point was geared more toward snubbies vs. compact or sub-compact sem-auto's.... not the full size pistols... How many rounds does a compact sem-auto hold on average? 7, 8 rounds?
I carry a Glock 19. It's a compact and it holds 16. I've never had a malfunction of any kind with that gun. It has a 3.5 lb trigger as well. Compare that to the 10-12 lb DA trigger pull on the snub that holds five rounds and has obnoxious recoil and go from there. .38 special is also more expensive to buy than 9MM which makes it harder to practice as much.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:22 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,342,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Some posters are acting they carry every day as if they are going to a known gun fight.

I have to ask, what life style do you guys live? Do you have a life style that you anticipate to encounter multiple assailants in a gun fight? Are your assailants not like roaches that run away after the first guy gets shot? If your answer is "no", then I'd say you are either in law enforcement, or you are engaged in illegal drugs activities or involved in organized crimes. No commom street thugs are brave enough to risk their own lives.

To the poster who justifies a semi-auto because "military & police no longer use revolvers", I'd say I am a "civilian" therefore do not engage in OFFENSIVE combat situation. I engage in SELF DEFENSE when I am outside of my house in a CCW situation.

If you want to carry a full size auto because you will not feel comfortable with less than 17 rounds in the clip, I will say that is your personal choice to do so. That will not be my personal choice as a CCW (I may, however; keep that in my car when I travel but not a CCW). I evaluate my carry needs base on my life style, risk, and the most probable scenarios.

My best self defense continues to be what's between my ears by having situational awareness & a prudent life style. But what works for me may not work for you. For example, i do not go into a high crime neighborhood or hang out on a street corner at 2:00am, nor do I buy/sell/deal with illegal drugs. Everyone has to evaluate their own situations and decide for themselves.
Anyone who uses the word "clip" in that context has absolutely no credibility in this discussion.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:11 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Some posters are acting they carry every day as if they are going to a known gun fight.

I have to ask, what life style do you guys live? Do you have a life style that you anticipate to encounter multiple assailants in a gun fight? Are your assailants not like roaches that run away after the first guy gets shot? If your answer is "no", then I'd say you are either in law enforcement, or you are engaged in illegal drugs activities or involved in organized crimes. No commom street thugs are brave enough to risk their own lives.

To the poster who justifies a semi-auto because "military & police no longer use revolvers", I'd say I am a "civilian" therefore do not engage in OFFENSIVE combat situation. I engage in SELF DEFENSE when I am outside of my house in a CCW situation.

If you want to carry a full size auto because you will not feel comfortable with less than 17 rounds in the clip, I will say that is your personal choice to do so. That will not be my personal choice as a CCW (I may, however; keep that in my car when I travel but not a CCW). I evaluate my carry needs base on my life style, risk, and the most probable scenarios.

My best self defense continues to be what's between my ears by having situational awareness & a prudent life style. But what works for me may not work for you. For example, i do not go into a high crime neighborhood or hang out on a street corner at 2:00am, nor do I buy/sell/deal with illegal drugs. Everyone has to evaluate their own situations and decide for themselves.

clip?

are you going to hang clothes or load a M1 Garand? that is what clips are.

I carry 3 firearms when I carry concealed. when I am out and about on the farm/ranch, I carry 2 rifles as well, of which one of them is a misnamed assault rifle in 7.62x51 with 11 full capacity magazines.
when I lived in Wisconsin and got my CCW license, I carried 3 firearms there too. when Wisconsin did not have a CCW for the state, I carried 1 firearm openly on my hip.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:45 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
You tote 5 firearms when you're out & about on your land?

Where do you live, on the Mexican border? If so, that is understandable. Landowners down there have been in a war zone for years.

To the OP, I just carry a Ruger LCP or a Kahr CW45 concealed - 95% of the time I'm wearing shorts & a T-shirt. When traveling by automobile, a Springfield 1911 .45 with two extra mags is my car gun.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:35 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
You tote 5 firearms when you're out & about on your land?

Where do you live, on the Mexican border? If so, that is understandable. Landowners down there have been in a war zone for years.

To the OP, I just carry a Ruger LCP or a Kahr CW45 concealed - 95% of the time I'm wearing shorts & a T-shirt. When traveling by automobile, a Springfield 1911 .45 with two extra mags is my car gun.

I live in Wyoming on over 1000 acres of land. I have steers and horses on my property and I have seen wolves and other dangerous animals on my property.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I live in Wyoming on over 1000 acres of land.
My retirement goal. Nice job.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:19 PM

10,710 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
When I go hiking/backpacking I carry the same two handguns. I go running with my Glock in my pocket and a spare magazine.
What kind of holster?

Old 07-07-2014, 06:32 PM

10,710 posts, read 5,651,721 times
OP, take your revolver and go shoot an IDPA or USPSA match, and report back here on your results shooting against the guys with semi-auto's.

It's pretty easy to predict the results. You'll get your a** handed to you. Every time. A semi is easier to shoot, easier to reload, and carries more ammo. Those advantages are nearly insurmountable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting