U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 07:15 PM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,203,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
High demand due to 2 main factors:

a) hoarding

- and even more importantly -

b) flipping; a number of individuals buy up all of a retail establishment's 22LR and then sell it at inflated prices on line and at local flea markets. This has been going on for at least the past year and will continue until folks stop buying from them.
I agree with your assessment.

Here in NC I can buy all the .05 cent ammo I want from the flippers for .10-.15 cents.
No thanks, I'd rather pay the .10 to the full time gun shops or wait for Walmart or Cabelas to have .05 cent ammo.

IMO 1,000 rounds for each gun you have is plenty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 02:02 AM

13,951 posts, read 10,351,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I agree with your assessment.

Here in NC I can buy all the .05 cent ammo I want from the flippers for .10-.15 cents.
No thanks, I'd rather pay the .10 to the full time gun shops or wait for Walmart or Cabelas to have .05 cent ammo.

IMO 1,000 rounds for each gun you have is plenty.
Vacationing in the Fayetteville / Sanford area of North Carolina and figured I'd stop over at the ammo counter while at Wal-Mart today to see if they had any bricks of .22lr. They DID! Winchester 333 round white box for $18

Haven't seen any .22 in my Wal-Mart back home in Ohio in over a year...

Old 07-08-2014, 02:03 AM

13,951 posts, read 10,351,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
I was talking to a gun dealer in Virginia the other day. She told me her industry rep told her that they are still trying to fill some very large orders for the federal government that is being shipped overseas. Even though the military weapons do not include .22lr the government is still buying enormous quantities of it.
pffft.... I'd have asked her to prove it.

Let's not forget that "dealers" stand to make huge profits by keeping the market dry. In other words, they are not your friend. There is no feeling of "we are all in this together"....

Old 07-08-2014, 06:52 PM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,203,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
pffft.... I'd have asked her to prove it.

Let's not forget that "dealers" stand to make huge profits by keeping the market dry. In other words, they are not your friend. There is no feeling of "we are all in this together"....
So true, the guy you buy stuff from is not your buddy, you are his customer and he depends on making a profit from the stuff he sells to you.
Doesn't matter if it's ammo, car parts or fruits and vegetables. He is not going to stay in business long if he gives great deals to his "buddies".

Our LGS sold out 10 cases in 22 lr in one day because he was selling it cheap. Now he is asking double for the same stuff. He got smart real quick.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:21 AM

3,807 posts, read 8,544,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
So true, the guy you buy stuff from is not your buddy, you are his customer and he depends on making a profit from the stuff he sells to you.
Doesn't matter if it's ammo, car parts or fruits and vegetables. He is not going to stay in business long if he gives great deals to his "buddies".

Our LGS sold out 10 cases in 22 lr in one day because he was selling it cheap. Now he is asking double for the same stuff. He got smart real quick.
very true. A year ago i'd be able to get .22 online from PSA at 'normal' retail pricing, just adding in a reasonable ship fee (saved my time/gas chasing store to store to find a box). Even when at their range here, the pricing was about normal. Talking the 525ct Fed champ for around 25-28 bucks as an example.
Fast forward to now, and with the exceptions of "sales", their pricing has gone up quite a bit on the same ammo (same Fed ammo on sale is 50 bucks now). Guess if they still sell it all, then why not. Just wont be me buying it.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:08 AM

672 posts, read 585,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Everything is back on the shelves where I live to the point where I can show up on my ride to the range and load up on .223 and 9mm and shoot all day.

But I haven't seen .22 on a shelf in over aa year.
I can find .22, .22LR and .22WMG at Cabela's, but good grief, it is the same price for 50 that we used to pay for 500, and they limit purchases to a couple of boxes.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:33 PM

600 posts, read 599,161 times
Yeah I have seen .223 and other centerfire ammo. I still sometimes have a hard time seeing 9mm, but I do see it periodically and also .40 and .45.

It's just that .22LR is always sold out. I get the hoarding mentality, but that is not permanent and given that Sandy Hook which triggered this back in late 2012 happened, I'd figure by now it's taken its course.

.22 LR is my fav ammo. I love to shoot it more than any other type.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:46 PM

10,979 posts, read 14,663,538 times
It really peeves me off. Can't find it anywhere around here.

I have two target .22 rifles (old Winchester 75's) that my son and I can rarely enjoy (without paying a price). I've stopped looking frankly. I'm not paying those prices for .22 rounds. I have about 500 left, and I'll have to make due until this blows over.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:43 PM

600 posts, read 599,161 times
Yeah I'm the same way and it sucks how you cannot enjoy your hobby due to external factors. One guy I know bought his own ammo reloading machine for 9 and 45.

I'm not sure what you would do with .22LR

I'm just going to wait until it blows over as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see it last until the next election quite frankly.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:11 PM

5,253 posts, read 2,404,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
High demand due to 2 main factors:

a) hoarding

- and even more importantly -

b) flipping; a number of individuals buy up all of a retail establishment's 22LR and then sell it at inflated prices on line and at local flea markets. This has been going on for at least the past year and will continue until folks stop buying from them.
That won't happen.

It will continue as long as retailers like Wal-Mart sell .22 ammo below the market determined equilibrium price. If they sold it for the true market price, there would be no way for the "flippers" to engage in their arbitrage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting