U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 05:07 PM

118 posts, read 168,732 times

Advertisements

Going to Wyoming this fall for a dream elk hunt with my dad. Need a new rifle scope for my 30-06 as the original scope from 16 yrs ago may or may not be reliable anymore; and i am not chancing my old scope failing on me if i have a monster elk in sights. I am looking at spending around $300-$400 on one. I have been looking at Nikon primarily. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 09:39 PM

177 posts, read 253,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22crew View Post
Going to Wyoming this fall for a dream elk hunt with my dad. Need a new rifle scope for my 30-06 as the original scope from 16 yrs ago may or may not be reliable anymore; and i am not chancing my old scope failing on me if i have a monster elk in sights. I am looking at spending around $300-$400 on one. I have been looking at Nikon primarily. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron
Aaron Nikon is a good choice. You should be concerned with what type of retical it has you need to be comfortable that you can use it to aim at the range you expect to be shooting. Get some good caps to protect the optics from snow and rain while hiking/ stalking

Then you need to site it in properly for the ranges you expect to be shooting at and with the ammunition you are going to be using in the hunt. When you arrive recheck the zero of the scope as it may have been disturbed in transit. Get yourself a good hard sided case for transport a soft side is not what you want here.

If you will be hunting in the cold weather do not take your firearm in and out of the cabin. changes in moisture can cause problem in actions. If it is going to be below 0 then remove oils from the action use dry silicones for metal protection. Oils attract moisture and that freezes.

One last thing Make sure your bases are mounted tight and the rings are tight to the scope. Better to change everything then to have them go loose in the hunt.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:04 AM

8,388 posts, read 8,101,036 times
Quote:
I have been looking at Nikon primarily. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron
Nikon is good. Others in the price range that are also worth checking out would be Weaver, Burris, Leupold, and the better lines of Bushnell like their Legend and Elite series.

It never pays to go cheap on optics.

Old 07-04-2014, 01:48 PM

19,952 posts, read 12,976,072 times
I've got a $100 Bushnell scope mounted to my 30.06. I took a deer last year from about 200 yards with it.

Old 07-04-2014, 03:39 PM

5,586 posts, read 11,856,572 times
I have a Nikon 4.5-14 scope and I wish somebody else owned it. It holds aim or POI but it sucks big time in low light conditions. It has the side focus on it and you're constantly having to dick with it to keep the thing in focus at various distances. If you have all day to screw with it, it's a great scope. As compared to a Burris FFII of the same power, the Burris is night and day difference with far brighter and clearer optics. It'll hunt where you can't see the ground with the Nikon. If you'd like to save a few bucks, look at Millett scopes. They use top quality glass, hold POI better than a lot of the thousand dollar crap, and have a lifetime warranty. I have one on a 6x 45 AR platform and it is a true one hole group rifle at 100yds. Mine is the 4.5-14 power. I got it at Natchez and was looking for a bargain priced scope. I got a LOT more than I bargained for. I've bought several since and they are extremely bright and clear and hold POI far better than a Leupold Target series crap that my bench guns wear so don't let the bargain price scare you. Here's one of the Burris Signature Series scopes for you to look at
http://www.natchezss.com/Optics.cfm?...e%20PA%20Matte

Old 07-04-2014, 06:42 PM

312 posts, read 325,972 times
Light rifle, heavy rifle, are you going to be lugging it around or sitting still, do you need superior performance in low light conditions (=Zeiss or Swarovski which would be outside your budget), are you able to or do you need to use the reticle to judge distance to target... There's a lot of variables besides which economy-class scopes are available for purchase...

Old 07-05-2014, 04:05 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,130,726 times
Leupold

Old 07-06-2014, 03:36 AM

16,886 posts, read 12,545,317 times
Quote:

Aaron

how far are you planning on shooting, plus how far have you practiced shooting before?

Old 07-10-2014, 11:26 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,257 posts, read 3,172,253 times
The following are just my opinions gathered from personal experiences in some 60 years of big game hunting, using:1/ my feet for travel; 2/ Horses for travel & 3/ ATVs to get to specific areas to hunt. For WT & Mule Deer in CO, MT & ID a 7mm Rem Mag with a 2 1/2 to 8, 4 plex recticle & 160gr Partitions. For Moose, Elk, Blk Bear in the above states & Canada, a .338 win Mag & a 1 1/2 to 6 & 4 plex & 250gr Partitions. For Antelope & Caribou--same set up as used for Deer...... And for my most thrilling and satisfying hunt--my Kodiak Brown Bear: a .375 H&H w/300gr Nosler Partitions --handloads, a 1 3/4 to 5, again w/ a 4 Plex........In all cases I use the BEST Mount Bases and Rings that I can afford.

I personally sight in all the above rifles to be 3" high at 100 yards and Tape the "trajectories figures" (for 100,200, 300 400 & 500 on to the stock.

I also am of the opinion that 8 out of 10 (new-to-the-game of Big Game hunting) hunters purchase scopes that are too high in magnification. And it goes without saying that Leupold & Burris are my two top choices for scopes.....again just my opinion.

Oh, and most important.......practice, practice, practice shooting from various shooting positions at the range, before to go on the hunt.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:55 PM

2,748 posts, read 2,615,120 times
Quote:

Aaron
In that price-range a Leupold would be my choice. They have decent glass and are reasonably well built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting