U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2014, 08:46 AM

10,336 posts, read 10,504,333 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else watch this show? It's a pretty well done show narrated by Metallica's James Hetfield. This season focusses on Kodiak Bear hunts on Kodiak Island, Alaska. Even my wife can't divert her focus. She was really rooting for a young woman (~24 years old or so) who was using a muzzle loader to stalk her bear. This person was from Alaska so she was able to hunt without a guide. All the others are guides and their clients, and it's pretty interesting. Personally I think it's crazy to hunt a bear that big with a muzzle loader!

I've always been fascinated by bears and would love to go on a Kodiak hunt some day. As of now I don't have the $15,000+ guide fee, plus travel and tag fees sitting around in my bank account. I may try to go after a blackie here in VA this season, but that's entry level and nothing compared to the stakes up there in Alaska.

The Hunt is a good way to keep myself interested, though. It's also keeping my wife interested in hunting, so that's a major plus. I am looking forward to seeing what else the show features in future seasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 12:21 PM

5,476 posts, read 5,703,827 times
If these Kodiak bears live exclusively on this one island, how did they even evolve before they ever used up all their food supply before man came to keep the population in check?

And what are they eating? Are they swimming out to sea to catch fish? That is the only thing I can imagine to sustain them.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:28 PM

5,225 posts, read 3,772,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If these Kodiak bears live exclusively on this one island, how did they even evolve before they ever used up all their food supply before man came to keep the population in check?

And what are they eating? Are they swimming out to sea to catch fish? That is the only thing I can imagine to sustain them.
Greenland is an island too, as are Iceland, and Great Britain.

Kodiak Island itself is around ~3,600 square miles (for way of comparison Crete is 3,200 sq mi, and Hawaii's Big Island is 4,000 square miles), the bears are native to the archipelago, and that stretches 177 miles by 65 miles.

The bears subsist on local flora primarily in the early spring and fall, and the Salmon runs May - September. The specific subspecies is exclusive to the archipelago, Alaskan coastal grizzlies are a different subspecies.

Why is is so surprising?

Old 07-05-2014, 06:27 PM

10,336 posts, read 10,504,333 times
Quote:

They also get a lot of marine mammal carcasses wash ashore. Whales, seals, etc. Orcas prey on just about everything, even larger whales and sometimes the remains wash ashore for the kodiak bears.

For those who are not aware, Kodiak Bears are a sub-species of the Brown Bear. An interior brown bear in Alaska may reach 8-900 lbs. Brown bears in Wyoming/Montana are closer to 6-700 lbs. A Kodiak can reach up to 1,500 lbs and rivals the Polar Bear in size. A very impressive animal by anyone's definition.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:46 PM

5,476 posts, read 5,703,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Greenland is an island too, as are Iceland, and Great Britain.

Kodiak Island itself is around ~3,600 square miles (for way of comparison Crete is 3,200 sq mi, and Hawaii's Big Island is 4,000 square miles), the bears are native to the archipelago, and that stretches 177 miles by 65 miles.

The bears subsist on local flora primarily in the early spring and fall, and the Salmon runs May - September. The specific subspecies is exclusive to the archipelago, Alaskan coastal grizzlies are a different subspecies.

Why is is so surprising?
Most islands unless real large like Sumatra maybe do not support large mammals. What large mammals were native to England? I dont think Crete nor Hawaii has any native species that are real large predators.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:20 AM

5,225 posts, read 3,772,573 times
Quote:
Most islands unless real large like Sumatra maybe do not support large mammals. What large mammals were native to England? I dont think Crete nor Hawaii has any native species that are real large predators.
Well if you're correct someone magically introduced a species into the Kodiak archipelago that's genetically distinct from Ursus Arctos Horriblis, or the show, the OP and I are lying.

The Eurasian Brown Bear is native to Britain (though they became extinct due to human competition in around the 12th century), as were wolves (again extinct for the same reason at around the same time). Red Deer is still native to Great Britain, it's one of the largest in the deer family.

Hawaii because of it's isolation only has one native mammal, the hoary bat, every other mammal on Hawaii was introduced (either accidentally as in rats, or deliberately).

However given there are about 5 or 6 salmon runs a year in Kodiak, that's going to support a pretty major population of predators, and bears are not predators, they're omnivorous.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:42 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,857,362 times
Yep, what the mod said ^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or