U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2014, 01:04 PM
Status: "Gone hunting until December!" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Lost in Montana *recalculating*...
10,945 posts, read 14,593,711 times
Reputation: 11405

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I thought of this thread the other day. I was in someone's house and they were watching a rerun of Walker, Texas Ranger. I saw Chuck Norris use the butt of his gun to break open a padlock, then turn it around and walk in with it pointed in front of him. One would think that he used it as a hammer, with the barrel pointing toward him, with a bullet in the chamber. That can't be a good thing.
C'mon- it's Chuck Norris. He eats sugar frosted +P bullets for breakfast. They are so scared of him, they pour the milk on themselves!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2014, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
35 posts, read 29,103 times
Reputation: 35
I love it when heroes intentionally shoot to wound. I can rant on that subject for hours. If you aren't willing to kill it, don't shoot at it. Don't even point a gun at it. That's, like, rule one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 02:37 AM
 
812 posts, read 660,954 times
Reputation: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Am I one of the few that sees the "Hunters" on TV shooting game on skylines, in front of livestock, with houses within gun range behind the game, obscene ranges for the weapon? Impressionable young hunters and novices are watching these shows and will see it is acceptable to do this. How many times will we not see or hear about game/livestock and dwellings catch a bullet? We have houses and livestock shot here in Wyoming almost yearly because of just this.
The one that is the best is the Alligator hunting show on TV, yes I do know there is dense vegetation around the gator in the water, but I see them shooting straight up river. The bouncing bullets hitting a flat surface can go a long ways or into the river vegetation a ways. I guess what ever it takes to make a show.
I agree with you. Not enough it done or taught about what is beyond your bullet.
Target shooting is also a HUGE problem. Many people shoot without an adequate backstop for bullets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2014, 07:56 AM
 
17,907 posts, read 9,836,596 times
Reputation: 17386
Well, my favorite error is the TV cop who shoots repeatedly from cover at the same position. In Army infantry training, the rule is to move behind cover and shoot from different positions--never twice (certainly not repeatedly) from the same position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2014, 01:14 PM
 
329 posts, read 298,130 times
Reputation: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
Am I one of the few that sees the "Hunters" on TV shooting game on skylines, in front of livestock, with houses within gun range behind the game, obscene ranges for the weapon? Impressionable young hunters and novices are watching these shows and will see it is acceptable to do this. How many times will we not see or hear about game/livestock and dwellings catch a bullet? We have houses and livestock shot here in Wyoming almost yearly because of just this.
The one that is the best is the Alligator hunting show on TV, yes I do know there is dense vegetation around the gator in the water, but I see them shooting straight up river. The bouncing bullets hitting a flat surface can go a long ways or into the river vegetation a ways. I guess what ever it takes to make a show.
Very good points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2014, 01:20 PM
 
329 posts, read 298,130 times
Reputation: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, my favorite error is the TV cop who shoots repeatedly from cover at the same position. In Army infantry training, the rule is to move behind cover and shoot from different positions--never twice (certainly not repeatedly) from the same position.
Combat shooting and LEO shooting skills vary somewhat. While an officer has to make sure to try to put rounds on target and target only, a criminal can spray and pray.
Running from one hide to another may only open up more civilians in the area to errant rounds from a criminal.
Of course in real life, no matter what a cop does. He is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2014, 01:42 PM
 
17,907 posts, read 9,836,596 times
Reputation: 17386
Quote:
Originally Posted by crue cab View Post
Combat shooting and LEO shooting skills vary somewhat. While an officer has to make sure to try to put rounds on target and target only, a criminal can spray and pray.
Running from one hide to another may only open up more civilians in the area to errant rounds from a criminal.
Of course in real life, no matter what a cop does. He is wrong.
Not talking about changing covers, talking about shooting from the same position from behind cover: i.e., standing fully upright to shoot from behind a door frame shot after shot. The fourth time he does that, he's likely to get a bullet between the eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2014, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Sinkholeville
1,489 posts, read 1,349,836 times
Reputation: 2291
10 commandments of gun safety?

Most of us only have the four classic rules, and I can get by with the main one (finger off trigger until intentionally shooting).

If the trigger isn't pulled, the other three rules are less of an issue (muzzle control, all guns are loaded, know target & backdrop). Every accident involves a pulled trigger plus a lesser included offense.

I enjoy watching old westerns, but the classic quickdraw shootout on the street has lots of spectators as backstops, and anybody shot just falls over dead or dying, but immediately stops shooting.
I'm pretty sure it would take me quite a few seconds to die, and that's a lot of bullets t0 return fire.
We don't see these duels fought with single shots, and I plan to shoot anyone who shoots me.
As if these gunfights really happened, yada yada yada.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 12:08 AM
 
Location: SWUS
5,414 posts, read 7,628,292 times
Reputation: 5781
I wasn't aware there were 10 commandments of firearm safety. Unless I don't count good and don't reed or rite gud, aren't there typically only four that people teach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2014, 12:31 AM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,696 posts, read 35,420,950 times
Reputation: 2147483647
Back in 1993, I was elected as "State Program Manager" for shooting education. Yes, Wyoming has such a position. We had 10 commandments for shooting education.
__________________
[B][COLOR="Red"]"No Copyrighted Material."[/COLOR][/B]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top