U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 06:08 PM

2,749 posts, read 2,623,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the .40 is only around because the feds got their asses handed to them in Miami and blamed it all on the firearms they had instead of blaming themselves.

they should have all been fired and the .40 should have never come to being.
It was the fault of a light for caliber violently expanding soft-point. Not caliber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 09:23 PM

16,886 posts, read 12,562,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
It was the fault of a light for caliber violently expanding soft-point. Not caliber.

it was the fault of the feds, not the caliber or the ammo.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:27 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,187,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
it was the fault of the feds, not the caliber or the ammo.
I had forgotten about that incident until you posted about it. Went back a reread the cliff notes version. Yup they really screwed the pooch in that one. However that was before the heavy paramilitarization of the Federal Police Force.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:32 PM

16,886 posts, read 12,562,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I had forgotten about that incident until you posted about it. Went back a reread the cliff notes version. Yup they really screwed the pooch in that one. However that was before the heavy paramilitarization of the Federal Police Force.

very much so. the fed force of LEO's should be drawn down and retired or fired. plus only a couple of agencies should be allowed to use firearms at all, and the IRAS and BATFE are not included in that number.

the only current agencies that should be carrying firearms of any sort should be, the military, FBI, Secret Service, DEA and Coast Guard.

I put down Coast Guard as well because they are not really considered part of the military except in a time of declared war.

all other agencies should not even have 1 round of ammo nor any firearms issued to them at all.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:57 PM

13,340 posts, read 10,937,493 times
I have never liked the M9. Oh sure...just like Harry Callaghan with the Mod 29, everybody went bug**** with Mel Gibson and the Lethal Weapon movies. An M9 was suddenly chic, until one hits competition situations. Lol, I never saw so much cussing of the 9mm than at competitive matches. Outside of cutting paper, it don't cut it.

Personally, the only 9mm I will own is a Hi Power. Hands down. For the military, I believe the Glock , XD, M&P , H&K USP, any, would be a fine choice.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:00 AM

741 posts, read 684,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Many weapons and calibers have been developed over the course of firearm history because of events that spurred their innovation.

The .40cal has a place as well nothing wrong with that.

Look at all the many .30cal rifle and pistol variants.
A lot of the 'innovations' really aren't, though.
The notion that 'pistol stopping power' is influenced by 0.043 in bullet diameter and a few FPS in relation to EVERY OTHER HUGE VARIABLE is just so, so ****ing stupid but then again, we still live in a world where scientific thinking is cloistered into small pockets rather than taught in schools from the outset.

There are also varied advantages and disadvantages to harder (penetrating) versus softer (expanding) projectiles, faster versus slower bullet speeds but partisans debate it like there's a universally correct answer out there.

I'd much rather see them armed with something along the lines of Five Seven.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:01 AM

741 posts, read 684,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
357SIG is too $$$.
Protip on economics: If the military were to adopt the .357 Sig, it wouldn't be "too $$$" anymore.

Old 07-14-2014, 06:01 AM

10,331 posts, read 10,486,180 times
Glock makes a good and reliable product, so big picture I'd feel comfortable if the military transitioned to one of their models to replace the M9. On a personal note I am glad it takes the military years upon years to transition from proposals on a slide to trials to hardware in the armories. I haven't handled a Glock I've liked, and if this is the weapon the military will be using to replace the M9 I am glad I'll probably be retired before the M9 is!

Old 07-14-2014, 08:26 AM

8,088 posts, read 7,341,312 times
I cannot imagine what could be lacking with the Beretta, same with the Colt 1911, same with the Hi-Power. A pistol is not exactly a front line weapon. MPs and such. What is the big deal here? Just another reason to blow more money.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:34 AM

2,749 posts, read 2,623,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
Protip on economics: If the military were to adopt the .357 Sig, it wouldn't be "too $$$" anymore.
I fail to see how it can compete with a straight-wall cartridge, for economics. Further, think of all the tooling changes, etc. to load it, so on and so forth. It would negate the entire supply chain currently in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting