Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 04:50 PM

966 posts, read 1,343,935 times

Advertisements

and best of all, no paperwork, no background check, just walked into the store, plunked down my cash and walked out with a true assault rifle

Circa 1863, but it was the assault rifle of its day, just ask the Confederates that were on the receiving end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 07:12 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
and best of all, no paperwork, no background check, just walked into the store, plunked down my cash and walked out with a true assault rifle
Sorry, no background check and no paperwork I'm not impressed.

Old 07-15-2014, 08:39 PM

My photo disappeared from the first post, so here it is,

BTW, Black powder rifles and pistols are exempt from background checks and paperwork, they are not considered firearms by the atf, as are antique weapons that were made prior to 1898

Old 07-15-2014, 09:49 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,665,340 times
Default I'll make an exception for a Gatling (1862) or Puckle (1718)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Sorry, no background check and no paperwork I'm not impressed.
No tax stamp, no kudos from me.

Quote:
My photo disappeared from the first post, so here it is,
Modern guns can only dream of looking that good when they hit 150.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:35 PM

I wish it was 150 years old, it is a reproduction, but a fairly accurate one. The oldest assault rifle in my collection is 139 years young and it shoots fine, it's brothers were carried at the Little Big Horn.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:51 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,469,644 times
Got nothing but the dreaded red X. Repost photos from a computer made after the civil war

Old 07-16-2014, 03:31 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post

Circa 1863, but it was the assault rifle of its day, just ask the Confederates that were on the receiving end.

don't worry, all of my firearms have no paperwork attaching them to me, and I have not gone through a background check in over 18 years as all of my firearms were bought privately. the one firearm that I bought and had paperwork attached to it, I resold it to a gunshop and now f-troop has the paperwork saying I had sold it.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:51 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,722,628 times
And the NSA now has your IP address, email, phone number,SSN, and where you live. Yep, you got them fooled.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:23 PM

600 posts, read 824,288 times
Would this also fall unders the same classification as 'muzzle loader' ? I know there are exemptions for muzzleloaders vs. traditional firing pin guns.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:02 PM

yes, it is a muzzleloader, or muzzlestuffer.
Early rifles were flintlocks, where the hammer held a chunk of flint and when the trigger was pulled, struck it against a metal frizzon that was covering a small pan of priming powder, as it hit the frizzon, it pushed it away from the powder and the sparks ignited the priming powder, which then ignited the main charge in the barrel. It worked and was fairly reliable, but that is where the saying, Keep your Powder dry comes from.
Later the Flintlock was replaced with the percussion cap, where a metal cap with a priming charge was placed on a nipple then it was struck by the hammer, kind of like the cap guns we had as kids. To install the cap, the hammer was pulled to half cocked, then the cap was placed on the nipple, if the trigger was pulled, it was not supposed to release the hammer, but it if did, it would go off, which is where the saying, Going off half cocked comes from.

There are modern equivalents that use black powder pellets, special bullets and shotgun primers, they usually resemble a more modern gun as they have a bolt action striker or a internal mounted hammer.

Blackpowder shooting is one of the most relaxing forms of target shooting as you cannot do anything quickly, you have to think about every step you are taking, from measuring out the powder, setting the patch and ball on the muzzle and starting them down the barrel, seating them, putting your percussion cap on the nipple, and then aiming.
What is more fun is at the range when everyone is shooting modern arms, when a blackpowder rifle speaks, people listen, it is a deep boom with clouds of smoke, I never leave the range without letting several other shooters try their hands at it. I am sure I have brought a number of converts to the Dark Side of shooting.

If there is anyone in the Phx area that wants to try their hand at black powder, speak up or forever be cursed with the boredom of smokeless powder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting