U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 02:16 PM

3,173 posts, read 2,740,271 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, one of the advantages the defender has in the home is that while the intruder is limited to the weapon he can bring along and comfortably carry with him, the defender has no such limitations, and can choose a larger, heavier, and more effective weapon.

This is where a shotgun (with appropriate ammo, I like #2 Buckshot) is applicable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
High powered rifles like the AR and AK make for really good home defense weapons.
Technically, the AR-15 is a low-powered centerfire rifle, and the whole subject of over-penetration is complicated at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93
So what is a all around "basic" semi auto handgun that is realiable and affordable?
That really deserves its own thread; there are entire forums dedicated to this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 02:19 PM

16,167 posts, read 27,421,913 times
Agree with Nonesuch about a shotgun for home defense or at close quarters.

A rifle is not the best gun for home defense unless your home is miles away from people and other homes. If you have a family, but have no bullet-proof walls, ceilings, floors, windows, and doors, why would you want to use a rifle for home defense?

For self-defense a handgun loaded with defense ammo is a good choice. And the best handgun would be the one you are most proficient with, regardless of caliber. One thing to keep in mind is that some "out of the box pistols" can fail to load the chamber with certain ammo (ball ammo versus defense ammo). So you want to try different ammo to make sure you don't have any loading/extraction problems, and then decide with ammo works best with your pistol. Otherwise a good gunsmith can take care of the problem for you.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-27-2014 at 02:29 PM..

Old 07-27-2014, 03:04 PM

7,823 posts, read 7,813,981 times
Since the Department of Homeland Security officially refers to their issued AR-15s as "Personal Defense Weapons" Homeland Security seeking 7,000 assault weapons for 'personal defense' - Washington Times , I took their sage advice and bought one for the defense of myself and family.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:24 PM

16,167 posts, read 27,421,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Since the Department of Homeland Security officially refers to their issued AR-15s as "Personal Defense Weapons" Homeland Security seeking 7,000 assault weapons for 'personal defense' - Washington Times , I took their sage advice and bought one for the defense of myself and family.
To each his own. I just would not choose a rifle for "home defense" unless I would have no choice, specially if had had family members in the same house. In this case my gun for home defense would be a shotgun with #2 buckshot to avoid wall penetration, and for the widest single-shot pattern possible.

Now, there is nothing wrong with a rifle for home defense if that's what you are comfortable with.

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-27-2014 at 03:36 PM..

Old 07-27-2014, 04:18 PM

2,181 posts, read 2,035,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
High powered rifles like the AR and AK make for really good home defense weapons...they also save you a ton in college tuition when the projectile over penetrates into your child's bedroom. You may even get a two for one deal if you have annoying neighbors. Just slap in a 30rd magazine or 75rd drum and start hosing down the place.
the round fired from the AR and the AK are not the same thing. Hate to break it to you, but a 9mm or .45 out of a pistol will penetrate more then the AR's .223 will, although if you are talking about interior drywall, any proper defense round will penetrate.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
To each his own. I just would not choose a rifle for "home defense" unless I would have no choice, specially if had had family members in the same house. In this case my gun for home defense would be a shotgun with #2 buckshot to avoid wall penetration, and for the widest single-shot pattern possible.

Now, there is nothing wrong with a rifle for home defense if that's what you are comfortable with.
#2 buckshot will go right through multiple interior walls. Do your research. Pretty much anything that will properly kill someone is going to be able to go through the interior of your house and kill your family, so plan your defense accordingly.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Agree with Nonesuch about a shotgun for home defense or at close quarters.

A rifle is not the best gun for home defense unless your home is miles away from people and other homes. If you have a family, but have no bullet-proof walls, ceilings, floors, windows, and doors, why would you want to use a rifle for home defense?

For self-defense a handgun loaded with defense ammo is a good choice. And the best handgun would be the one you are most proficient with, regardless of caliber. One thing to keep in mind is that some "out of the box pistols" can fail to load the chamber with certain ammo (ball ammo versus defense ammo). So you want to try different ammo to make sure you don't have any loading/extraction problems, and then decide with ammo works best with your pistol. Otherwise a good gunsmith can take care of the problem for you.
What makes you think a .223 is worse then a 9mm when it comes to penetration of interior walls? Light and fast bullets break apart and shed energy faster then a slow heavy one.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:52 PM

4,153 posts, read 7,645,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Technically, the AR-15 is a low-powered centerfire rifle, and the whole subject of over-penetration is complicated at best.
High Powered rifle is a style of competition shooting in the US evolving service rifles...including the M16 (and it's civilian variant the AR15). And who in the heck buys self defense ammo for their AR15? Seriously, when is the last time there was a major run on ammo and people was freaking out because they couldn't find Winchester's approve home defense ammo? No one, their all loading up on standard ball ammo like Monarch/Wolf, XM 193, M855, SS109 etc.

Old 07-27-2014, 05:08 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,611,020 times
Quote:

Even #4 Buck goes through multiple walls, but my question is...WHERE!? are you finding #2 buckshot? I've literally NEVER seen this, although I assume you live in Alaska, maybe they sell it regionally?

Old 07-27-2014, 05:13 PM

4,153 posts, read 7,645,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
the round fired from the AR and the AK are not the same thing. Hate to break it to you, but a 9mm or .45 out of a pistol will penetrate more then the AR's .223 will, although if you are talking about interior drywall, any proper defense round will penetrate.
Who said anything about the .223 and 7.62X39 being the same thing? I was merely listing and never once suggested or implied the two was the same. Wow.

Anyhow, I'm suggesting pistol ammo is any better. The fact of the matter is, any round or shot shell effective enough to stop an intruder will penetrate your standard interior wall. Just be real sure of your shots and try not to squeeze 20-30rds trying to hit the intruder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting