U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 08:13 PM

2,181 posts, read 2,038,766 times

Advertisements

Look hard at the FN five-seven. I don't own it so I'm not pushing my favorite or anything, I just think it could be a good fit for her. Low recoil, high mag capacity, and a round that will do it's job if you put it on target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 08:14 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,453,647 times
having a gun is great. unfortunately using it is not the end of your problems but the beginning.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:19 PM

5,092 posts, read 9,058,138 times
No love for the XDM-9?

Old 08-06-2014, 06:34 PM

30 posts, read 23,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
College age daughter.

I'll start off by saying that I primarily want her to be able to protect herself at her home but once she is proficient enough with a handgun to CC, I will leave that up to her.

Here is what I'm considering for her. Ultimately, SHE will decide what she likes best.

Ruger LC9
Ruger LCP 380
SW Body Guard 380

I'm leaning toward the 380 for her due to the size and ability to conceal.

I love the LC9's safety features but personally I would likely opt for the smaller 380

I'm leaning towards the BG primarily because it has a manual safety. (I understand the arguments against safeties)

However, I've heard quite a few negatives about the SW BG though. (malfunctions/repairs needed etc)

The Ruger certainly seems to be a more reliable gun to me but the LCP doesn't have a manual safety, which again, is important to me if I'm providing one to my college age daughter.

Thoughts?

**Disclaimer: I am getting her the concealed carry permit/training and plenty of range practice prior to giving her the gun. she's very responsible and level headed too.
How about none of the above.

A Glock 26/27 with night sights is hard to beat.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:35 PM

30 posts, read 23,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
No love for the XDM-9?
Compact.....

Old 08-06-2014, 10:15 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,441,402 times
Find a good shop that has an indoor range, that rents guns. Explain too the proprietor your intentions and spend an afternoon trying different makes and models.

Every person on here is going to make recommendations on what fits "their" hands, what fits "their" knowledge of firearms and what "their" favorite cal is. Those recommendations are not necessarily what is going to fit your daughters desires. The last thing you want is your daughter to have a gun she doest like, simply because it was recommended by others. You can bracket for her and lay down some guidelines as to what is needed and narrow it down to 4 or 5 handguns, but then allow her to narrow it down to fit and function that she likes. She will feel much better because she was in on the choice and she'll be more apt to shoot it and enjoy what she is doing.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 08-07-2014, 08:17 AM

2,774 posts, read 3,682,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'd recommend giving her more opportunity to choose--take her to a range that permits rentals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Find a good shop that has an indoor range, that rents guns. Explain too the proprietor your intentions and spend an afternoon trying different makes and models.
These.

Also, if she is new to guns, let her shoot a DA revolver. No magazines to load, no slide to rack, no safety to deal with. Someone going after a woman alone is looking for a soft target, so the arguments about needing 15+ rounds are mostly bogus.

The Ruger LCR (lightweight hammerless .38Spcl) is an excellent carry gun, but do NOT let this be the first revolver she ever fires. It it quite snappy because of the light weight, and can actually be painful with lots of shooting. But in a self-defense situation she won't care, and because it is so light and small the might actually carry it with her.

And since you're looking at .380s, you should consider the Walther PK380. Very easy for my wife to rack (an old injury means left arm is really weak), and light recoil.

I'll also second the comments about getting two guns; one for carry, one for home. Different locations, different situations, different needs. Compact and light for carry, larger and more powerful for home.

Finally, where is she going to school, and are firearms even allowed? Does she have/need a carry permit? Does her apartment complex allow weapons?

Old 08-07-2014, 08:47 AM

15,194 posts, read 17,699,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
The Ruger LCR (lightweight hammerless .38Spcl) is an excellent carry gun
Agreed. I have one of these as well (my only revolver, actually, besides a NAA mini .22 [doesn't really count ]) and it's remarkably light. It does have some good recoil, but like you said, it's not really a range gun, it's a self defense gun.

Old 08-07-2014, 08:50 AM

16,438 posts, read 18,526,585 times
Quote:
College age daughter.

I'll start off by saying that I primarily want her to be able to protect herself at her home but once she is proficient enough with a handgun to CC, I will leave that up to her.

Here is what I'm considering for her. Ultimately, SHE will decide what she likes best.

Ruger LC9
Ruger LCP 380
SW Body Guard 380

I love the LC9's safety features but personally I would likely opt for the smaller 380

I'm leaning towards the BG primarily because it has a manual safety. (I understand the arguments against safeties)

However, I've heard quite a few negatives about the SW BG though. (malfunctions/repairs needed etc)

The Ruger certainly seems to be a more reliable gun to me but the LCP doesn't have a manual safety, which again, is important to me if I'm providing one to my college age daughter.

Thoughts?

**Disclaimer: I am getting her the concealed carry permit/training and plenty of range practice prior to giving her the gun. she's very responsible and level headed too.
Springfield XD-S 9mm. Perfect. If it must be smaller, then Seecamp LWS 32. A safety is just another thing to think about when you don't have time to think.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:20 AM

16,886 posts, read 12,548,035 times
Quote:
College age daughter.

Ruger LC9
Ruger LCP 380
SW Body Guard 380

Thoughts?

have her go to a range and see if she can rent a few firearms to see what is best for her. then get her some training to see what she likes for her own self protection. then get her what she likes to carry and what she feels best with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or