U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 12:29 PM

896 posts, read 697,284 times

Advertisements

thanks to all who responded. Some good advice. She owns her own house and it's probably not in what would consider the best of neighborhoods but it certainly isn't all that bad. Good neighbors at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 07:21 AM

329 posts, read 298,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Why not throw a revolver in to that mix?

If she's only choosing between your top picks, it's not really her decision is it?

Is she at all familiar with guns, or will this be her first experience? If it's her first experience, it should really be as simple as possible to start.
I have been shooting for over 40 years, and still love carrying my J frame Smith.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:37 PM

156 posts, read 102,700 times
Today at the gun show I saw and held a deceased and retired old favorite. I noticed she seems to like .380s. Sig Sauer jumped in when Colt quit making these years ago and came out with the Sig Sauer P-238. It was very similar and I believe they even have to pay Colt royalties on everyone made and sold due to swiping so many design features.

These are current production and back in stock as of 9-20-14. They even tweaked it a bit and are holding tighter tolerances with improved reliability and internals on these new production modern ones.

The Colt Mustang Pocketlite.

It feels very solid and appears very well built. You can pocket carry one of these very easy in a pocket holster and no one will see it or know it is there.

I'd also recommend and suggest a Sig Sauer P-230 or current P-232 as well as the Sig Sauer P-238 for a .380 lineup. I have experience with the Ruger LCP as several people I know own them and have let me fire it. It's not in the same class.....I'll leave it at that.

https://www.google.com/search?q=colt...2F%3B640%3B426

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Colt-...e/DSC02344.JPG

Old 10-24-2015, 08:40 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,281,826 times
Sig P238, with a round in chamber hammer cocked back and safety on.. Train, train and train again...
My wife is petite, and this fits her tiny hands very well and shoots very well. It is light, but solid and shoots so damn straight...
I carry it sometimes as it is very easy for me to handle.. My girls both like the P238, and and before liked the Walther PK380..

Old 10-24-2015, 10:26 PM

5,405 posts, read 5,655,220 times
dont small frame semi autos, and small frame revolvers have very power recoils? Thereby difficult on a women's small wrist, and hard for her to do accurate follow-up shots.

Old 10-25-2015, 12:18 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,281,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
dont small frame semi autos, and small frame revolvers have very power recoils? Thereby difficult on a women's small wrist, and hard for her to do accurate follow-up shots.
The Sig is all metal, and weighs about 18 ounces loaded.. Wife likes it better than Walther.. Depends on load of ammunition too. Stay with factory loads from Winchester, Hornaday, Federal for example and you will be fine.
SOme companies put hotter loads with more recoil.
But, regardless, train train train..

Old 10-25-2015, 08:42 AM

17,934 posts, read 9,859,202 times
Quote:
Very light guns, yes--not so much the size of the frame as the actual weight. My daughter is fine with standard loads in anything around 20 ounces or heavier, even snubby revolvers.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:04 AM

9,194 posts, read 10,146,469 times
Quote:
I agree completely, but it applies to everyone, not just women or men of small stature. A revolver is a far better choice. An aluminum frame with light but effective loads, e.g., Magsafe, is my carry choice. I'll carry my S&W Model 638 without any worries.

How frequently does a normal person practice with a gun that's difficult and unpleasant to shoot and how often does a person hit a target twice in rapid succession while dealing with severe recoil? We know that police don't; they hit human targets with only about ten percent of their shots.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:38 AM

6,662 posts, read 25,357,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
College age daughter.

I'll start off by saying that I primarily want her to be able to protect herself at her home but once she is proficient enough with a handgun to CC, I will leave that up to her.

Here is what I'm considering for her. Ultimately, SHE will decide what she likes best.

Ruger LC9
Ruger LCP 380
SW Body Guard 380

I'm leaning toward the 380 for her due to the size and ability to conceal.

I love the LC9's safety features but personally I would likely opt for the smaller 380.
Ruger just announced a few days ago a optional package - 9mm barrel and magazines that fits a Ruger LCP 380. This could tilt your thought as it is a handgun that could grow if she decided she wanted something more powerful. I was just talking to my gun dealer/enabler about it last night.

My "go to" throw in my back pocket or jacket firearm is my Colt Mustang I bought 25 years ago. I asked my enabler if we could machine a 9mm barrel for the Mustang. Barrel is not the issue but the slim metal magazines, 9mm may not fit in magazine well.
The new Mustangs are offered in polymer and stainless. I do love my all steel blued receiver, if I bought one today I would go with the stainless for the extra weight over polymer.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:03 AM

6,662 posts, read 25,357,307 times
Quote:
There is my problem, I take my wife out shooting. She says "let me try that one!" , I lose another handgun!

I take her out shooting with my Ruger Single-Sixes. She falls in love with them so I give her the newer one with the 22mag cyl as I just do not want to give up my three screw.

She fired a box of 380 thru my Colt Mustang, it took several years to get it back from her, had to buy her one of her own to get mine back.

She was considering her friends Taurus Ultra Lite in 38 special, I say "give this a try" handing her my Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special. Guess what happened? Still waiting to get the Bulldog back as we are waiting for our friends to transfer the Taurus to her. I bought 1000 rounds of 38 for her before she said hell yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or