U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 12:33 AM

5,970 posts, read 3,207,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
The woman in the attic should have had a shotgun. Home defense is entirely different than concealed carry.
I always carry a pistol on my person, including right now. A shotgun is a nuisance to carry around the house all day. I want my defensive weapon to be immediately available at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 07:37 AM

2,749 posts, read 2,625,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You're only looking at one aspect of ownership and operation, however.

As I said earlier, the manual of arms of a semi-automatic is significantly more complicated than that of a revolver.

Unless a person is willing to commit to the substantially greater training and maintenance that a semi-automatic pistol requires, in the critical moment he may not be able to fire even the first: Is the safety off? Is the chamber loaded? Does the pistol need to be cocked?
If you are not willing to commit to being able to properly and safely handle a pistol, then you need to seriously re-think yourself, because you aren't armed. You're a hazard, an idiot, and have nothing more than a "magic talisman" that you plan on using to protect yourself when all the marbles are on the table.

Luck is the last dying wish of the unprepared.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:45 AM

18,115 posts, read 9,926,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
If you are not willing to commit to being able to properly and safely handle a pistol, then you need to seriously re-think yourself, because you aren't armed. You're a hazard, an idiot, and have nothing more than a "magic talisman" that you plan on using to protect yourself when all the marbles are on the table.
Yeah, but...he has a right, y'know, whether being willing to commit to training or not. So when dealing with a person who you can see is not willing to make that commitment, but fully intends to exercise his right, one choice is better than the other.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I don't buy pistols with a manual safety unless it has a decocker. I always carry with one in the chamber, otherwise, it's just an expensive paperweight. And I certainly wouldn't own anything that needs to be cocked. The three pistols I carry are the SA XD-45, the Glock 23 and the Ruger LCP. Once any of them have round in the chamber, they will fire when you pull the trigger.
Which solves some problems at the risk of others, which is why all semi-automatics are not the same and different people make different choices.

Clearing stovepipes. Avoiding limpwristing. Learning instant tap-and-rack. For that matter, learning how to rack effectively. For that matter, learning how not to screw up releasing the slide. Even when you reduce operation to just "pull the trigger," there is still a lot more to learn about it.

And there is one thing a revolver can do that a semi-auto can never do: Fire repeatedly from a coat pocket. As I'm going over real-world scenario tactics with my daughter, I'm realizing that having to fire a pistol at smell-his-breath range without being legally permitted to draw it first is a very likely situation.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:19 AM

16,886 posts, read 12,570,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I rep'd your post because it's good info, except it only applies under one condition: the person buying the firearm must practice regularly. As an instructor, do you mainly deal with people who practice regularly, or with people who take one class on how to shoot and never practice again?

If she doesn't practice, and carries without a round in the chamber, then she basically has something she can throw at an attacker and that's about it. If she fumbles the rack and/or there's a failure of some sort she'll never be able to clear it. Yes, a revolver can fail, but the chances of failure are much lower. Yes, it's 150-year-old technology, but it's that old and still used for a reason. Just draw and start pulling the trigger.

Also size and weight... all women I know who carry do so in a purse. A fully loaded G19 is a heck of a weight to add to a purse (about 2+lbs with a holster vs. ~1-lb for a Ruger LCR). My mom didn't like carrying even though she really needed to; she often carried a cash deposit bag to the bank after work. Guns just weight too much, and she hated practicing (too loud, plus arthritis hurting) so a semi was out of the question. Once we got her an LCR in .22Mag she was willing to practice more and willing to always carry it with her. Win-win.

People looking to hit an old lady or college student are looking for a soft target, so it's unlikely she'll the a full-capacity double-stack. And we're talking point-blank range, so sights aren't much use anyway.

please do not just say "she" for your post. if anyone does not carry the firearm with a cartridge in the chamber and does not practice with the firearm, then they just have a paperweight.

I agree with the young lady as well. but would stipulate what I said before.
Have her go to a range, get some training, and see what she likes for herself. do not let some guy choose for her. she is the one using and firing the firearm, not some random guy.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:45 AM

2,749 posts, read 2,625,560 times
Quote:
Yeah, but...he has a right, y'know, whether being willing to commit to training or not. So when dealing with a person who you can see is not willing to make that commitment, but fully intends to exercise his right, one choice is better than the other.
I won't argue it, as I don't give advice to people like that if I can help it. It's a waste of my time, because they have already proven that they are unwilling to take my advise, anyway, so I don't waste any more time.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:51 PM

5,970 posts, read 3,207,853 times
Quote:
Which solves some problems at the risk of others, which is why all semi-automatics are not the same and different people make different choices.

Clearing stovepipes. Avoiding limpwristing. Learning instant tap-and-rack. For that matter, learning how to rack effectively. For that matter, learning how not to screw up releasing the slide. Even when you reduce operation to just "pull the trigger," there is still a lot more to learn about it.

Which is why there are training seminars one can attend. Having a revolver doesn't relieve you of the responsibility to get proper training.

And there is one thing a revolver can do that a semi-auto can never do: Fire repeatedly from a coat pocket. As I'm going over real-world scenario tactics with my daughter, I'm realizing that having to fire a pistol at smell-his-breath range without being legally permitted to draw it first is a very likely situation.

I don't carry a firearm in my coat pocket. If I happen to be wearing a coat, I'll probably take it off when I'm inside. And I don't want to deal with transferring a firearm from coat to somewhere else out in public. I also keep my pistols in a holster that covers the trigger. No way do I want a pistol or revolver floating around in a pocket with the trigger exposed. But if you're within smell-his-breath range, one or two serious errors have occurred. A firearm should be your last resort, not your first resort. This is where situational awareness comes in. You should move in a way that that allows you to see what is going on around you and allows you to identify potential threats and then determine ways to avoid them. A bad guy should never be able to get close to you without you knowing about it. But with everyone's head buried in their smart phone it's made victim selection much easier. And if you feel the need to carry an unholstered pistol in your coat pocket, then you're probably in the wrong part of town.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:40 PM

345 posts, read 294,040 times
The major issue I see with semi-autos is with the necessary strength to operate the slide. My wife is not weak, but she can not operate the slide on my S&W M&P 9mm shield, nor the S&W CS45 (she does like to shoot both of them though) However, she has no problem with my brothers Glock 9mm. Once she decides she is ready to move up from her Ruger SP101 38/357 (she does not have a CCW at this time), she wants a Glock 43.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:58 PM

16,886 posts, read 12,570,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
The major issue I see with semi-autos is with the necessary strength to operate the slide. My wife is not weak, but she can not operate the slide on my S&W M&P 9mm shield, nor the S&W CS45 (she does like to shoot both of them though) However, she has no problem with my brothers Glock 9mm. Once she decides she is ready to move up from her Ruger SP101 38/357 (she does not have a CCW at this time), she wants a Glock 43.

both of my daughters also have no problem with the Glock-19 and prefer to carry those on the property than any other carry pistol. though sometimes I do think my younger daughter prefers her 686 on her hip.

Old 02-07-2016, 05:50 PM

[quote=AlaskaErik;42923023]Which is why there are training seminars one can attend. Having a revolver doesn't relieve you of the responsibility to get proper training.[/quote

Less training necessary.

Quote:
But if you're within smell-his-breath range, one or two serious errors have occurred. A firearm should be your last resort, not your first resort. This is where situational awareness comes in. You should move in a way that that allows you to see what is going on around you and allows you to identify potential threats and then determine ways to avoid them. A bad guy should never be able to get close to you without you knowing about it.
I agree with you on all that.

But with the laws written as they are in most states, a woman may have no way to deal with a bad guy getting too close to her to draw her weapon (by the time he's gotten within 20 feet, he's too close). She can order him, "Stop right there!" but if he continues to move closer ("I just want a light.") her only other option is to run like hell--because the law does not permit her to draw unless the man is presenting a clear danger to life or limb (and being a strange man who has come too close hasn't yet been determined a "clear danger").

That can happen in any parking lot in any part of town--even at a police station parking lot--plenty of cars to shield an approach, and the entire incident can take less than a minute.

A woman can, of course, opt to leave home only during mid-day and only go through drive-throughs. I've been in areas of the world that called for just about that level of situation management--never actually come to a complete stop if you can help it--but it sucks as a way of life in your own home country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or