U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 07:03 PM

3,430 posts, read 2,819,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed42 View Post
The major issue I see with semi-autos is with the necessary strength to operate the slide. My wife is not weak, but she can not operate the slide on my S&W M&P 9mm shield, nor the S&W CS45 (she does like to shoot both of them though) However, she has no problem with my brothers Glock 9mm. Once she decides she is ready to move up from her Ruger SP101 38/357 (she does not have a CCW at this time), she wants a Glock 43.
Sort of an "aside"...there have been many interesting posts in this thread so far...my now-ex GF, at 140lbs and medium-size hands for a woman (that being much smaller than my Size L man-paws), had a tough time both firing and racking the slide fast on my custom 1911 Commander (45 ACP). She'd only shot 9mm...and shot it well, I might add...when I let her try my Volkmann. She's no weeping wallflower, but really had to willfully rack that slide to get it going. Customs are usually tighter than non- , to be clear.

My Volkman is fairly heavy, being a substantial chunk of steel and all. Not so much as a full-size 1911, those being large guns indeed, but neither something easy for smaller people to carry and handle. Too, 45ACP takes more discipline to shoot well than non-P+ 9mm, IME. The weight take the edge off the recoil, but it just seemed too much gun for her to be comfortable with absent a fair amount of practice.

(A hundred rounds later, she had it down pretty well, but still shot the full-size rental CZ 75 we were also shooting much better.)

I have my own carry philosophy I'll not go into here, but point being I definitely agree some real-world range time is needed for just about anyone planning to carry, to see what works. I'm a large man and experienced in most small arms, very different from a smaller woman in terms of mindset and physical abilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 07:53 PM

2,748 posts, read 2,614,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Sort of an "aside"...there have been many interesting posts in this thread so far...my now-ex GF, at 140lbs and medium-size hands for a woman (that being much smaller than my Size L man-paws), had a tough time both firing and racking the slide fast on my custom 1911 Commander (45 ACP). She'd only shot 9mm...and shot it well, I might add...when I let her try my Volkmann. She's no weeping wallflower, but really had to willfully rack that slide to get it going. Customs are usually tighter than non- , to be clear.

My Volkman is fairly heavy, being a substantial chunk of steel and all. Not so much as a full-size 1911, those being large guns indeed, but neither something easy for smaller people to carry and handle. Too, 45ACP takes more discipline to shoot well than non-P+ 9mm, IME. The weight take the edge off the recoil, but it just seemed too much gun for her to be comfortable with absent a fair amount of practice.

(A hundred rounds later, she had it down pretty well, but still shot the full-size rental CZ 75 we were also shooting much better.)

I have my own carry philosophy I'll not go into here, but point being I definitely agree some real-world range time is needed for just about anyone planning to carry, to see what works. I'm a large man and experienced in most small arms, very different from a smaller woman in terms of mindset and physical abilities.
I find most women who have trouble racking a slide are "pinching" the rear of it. A simple hand over the top and a push with the firing hand and a "ripping" backward with the "racking hand" tends to solve this for all but the daintiest. I will say though, I had a Les Baer 1.5" gun, and it was stoopid tough to rack. I don't touch Baer's junk (or 1911's at all) anymore, and have never seen another gun that I thought caused legit issue, there.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:38 PM

7,600 posts, read 17,629,190 times
I didn't see where the OP's daughter wanted a handgun. I had to finally get my CC permit after a well meaning man, someone with with a dictator personality kept putting a loaded gun in my car for my protection. Got rid of him. Kept the gun.

Do not force a firearm on someone that has no interest in carrying one.

Old 02-07-2016, 09:46 PM

345 posts, read 291,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
I find most women who have trouble racking a slide are "pinching" the rear of it. A simple hand over the top and a push with the firing hand and a "ripping" backward with the "racking hand" tends to solve this for all but the daintiest. I will say though, I had a Les Baer 1.5" gun, and it was stoopid tough to rack. I don't touch Baer's junk (or 1911's at all) anymore, and have never seen another gun that I thought caused legit issue, there.
Don't want to dispute your statement; However, she does not "pinch" the slide.Her problem is not in the procedure but in "grip strength". She is in her late 60's and I'm sure a slight case of arthritis is to blame. She likes the way my brothers service weapon, a Glock, handles and she shoots almost as good with it as she does her Ruger SP101 and considerably better than with my S&W 9mm Shield and she has absolutely no problem handling the slide. So, why push it, we will eventually get her a Glock 43 in the future.

Last edited by zed42; 02-07-2016 at 10:01 PM..

Old 02-08-2016, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Don't want to dispute your statement; However, she does not "pinch" the slide.Her problem is not in the procedure but in "grip strength". She is in her late 60's and I'm sure a slight case of arthritis is to blame. She likes the way my brothers service weapon, a Glock, handles and she shoots almost as good with it as she does her Ruger SP101 and considerably better than with my S&W 9mm Shield and she has absolutely no problem handling the slide. So, why push it, we will eventually get her a Glock 43 in the future.
Ah, understood. I'd file that under "medical" and agree that it simply has to be worked around the best way possible. Usually I'd recommend adapting and overcoming the problem via training, etc. but I agree with you in this case.

One thing I would say is that the Shield 9mm has a very stout recoil spring. At least, mine is, for a 9mm. I'd be really torn on whether I wanted a .380 though. I might would take a DAO revolver in a caliber that meets minimum FBI spec over one.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Ah, understood. I'd file that under "medical" and agree that it simply has to be worked around the best way possible. Usually I'd recommend adapting and overcoming the problem via training, etc. but I agree with you in this case.

One thing I would say is that the Shield 9mm has a very stout recoil spring. At least, mine is, for a 9mm. I'd be really torn on whether I wanted a .380 though. I might would take a DAO revolver in a caliber that meets minimum FBI spec over one.
The Glock 43 is a single stack 9mm

https://us.glock.com/products/model/g43

Old 02-08-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
The Glock 43 is a single stack 9mm

https://us.glock.com/products/model/g43
Sorry, I was thinking 42. I get them confused!

Old 02-08-2016, 09:22 AM

17,917 posts, read 9,849,196 times
Quote:
Sorry, I was thinking 42. I get them confused!
42 is the answer for everything.

Old 02-08-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
42 is the answer for everything.
Well just a slight problem with that. And that is the price for ammunition.

.380 100 grn RN New $67.09 for 250 rounds
9mm 115 grn RN New $56.29 for 250 rounds

Now one could save by reloading (which I do)
.380 RNFP plated $22.30 for 250
9mm RN plated $23.58 for 250

So, I think I would rather carry a 9mm vice a .380.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:09 PM

2,981 posts, read 4,458,300 times
At a gun show over the weekend, I watched a couple shopping for a handgun. They were looking at a S&W M&P 9mm The woman couldn't rack the slide. Apparently, the gun was going to be for her. The dealer recommended they look at a revolver, even though they had none at their table for sale.

It made me think back to this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or