U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 11:32 AM

896 posts, read 696,539 times

Advertisements

College age daughter.

I'll start off by saying that I primarily want her to be able to protect herself at her home but once she is proficient enough with a handgun to CC, I will leave that up to her.

Here is what I'm considering for her. Ultimately, SHE will decide what she likes best.

Ruger LC9
Ruger LCP 380
SW Body Guard 380

I'm leaning toward the 380 for her due to the size and ability to conceal.

I love the LC9's safety features but personally I would likely opt for the smaller 380

I'm leaning towards the BG primarily because it has a manual safety. (I understand the arguments against safeties)

However, I've heard quite a few negatives about the SW BG though. (malfunctions/repairs needed etc)

The Ruger certainly seems to be a more reliable gun to me but the LCP doesn't have a manual safety, which again, is important to me if I'm providing one to my college age daughter.

Thoughts?

**Disclaimer: I am getting her the concealed carry permit/training and plenty of range practice prior to giving her the gun. she's very responsible and level headed too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 12:55 PM

15,194 posts, read 17,683,182 times
I consider manual safeties to be "death switches," because if you need to pull your gun in defense, you're likely only going to have one opportunity to pull the trigger before the Bad Guy realizes what's happening and tries to take your gun from you. If, in the panic of the situation, you forget to flip that lever, you're dead. A good DAO pistol is plenty safe against accidental discharges, as long as it's properly carried (holster, nothing else in the pocket, etc). I know you said that you're familiar with the arguments against safeties, and I'm sure you are, but sometimes things bear repeating.

I own the LCP and the Bodyguard. The LCP is a good little gun that's pretty accurate and like most .380s doesn't have a real heavy recoil (for its size - the small polymer guns kick a bit). I haven't fired the Bodyguard yet, although it's already in my range bag for our next trip.

My favorite mouse gun right now is a tie between the LCP and the Kel-Tec P32 or P3AT. The Kel-Tecs are almost identical in size, and I have a bunch of different holsters for the .32, which is why I sometimes carry it over the .380.

If you're not trying to go as light as possible, you could also look at the Sig P238. It's a great gun that looks and shoots good, and it has the manual safety (which is the reason I don't carry mine). It's a bit more expensive than the LCP and similar options, though.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:19 PM

13,951 posts, read 10,310,168 times
Why not throw a revolver in to that mix?

If she's only choosing between your top picks, it's not really her decision is it?

Is she at all familiar with guns, or will this be her first experience? If it's her first experience, it should really be as simple as possible to start.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:28 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,896,365 times
I tried REALLY hard not to like the LC9 just because it said Ruger on the side and it wasn't a large bore revolver, but I eventually had to be honest with myself and admit that it's a pretty cool little piece.

I bought my wife a PPK/S for her first pistol. While I really like it, I've more or less decided that if I want to help my wife or my daughter to protect herself if an unthinkable scenario materializes, then I'm probably not going to put a handgun chambered for .380 ACP in her hands.

I know that, to an extent, pistol terminal ballistics are all very similar and that, bottom-line, a .380 will poke holes in people that let blood out... But I just can't get comfortable with the light "ping" that you hear when you shoot a steel plate with it... Especially after you hear the loud "bang" that a 9mm makes on the same plate. Out of the three you mentioned, I think I would lean heavily towards the LC9... But, like you said, no manual safety.

An unsolicited thought on the matter: You may or may not want to take a look at the Walther PPS. It's going to be approximately $100-$150 more than the LC9, but I think it's a clearly superior handgun. It doesn't have the manual safety that you're looking for, but your daughter can quickly render the pistol incapable of firing by removing the "backstrap"... Which is a lot more convenient than a trigger lock, IMO.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:33 PM

8,124 posts, read 5,694,889 times
My recommendation would be to have at least two guns: a CC gun and a home defense gun. The reason being is that security needs in public are different than at home.

When you are in public, a gun needs to be portable and comfortable. The need for portability is obvious but comfort is just as important or the gun will probably be left at home. For the CC gun, one of the small 380s works great for pocket carrying. Being a female, she could also carry something larger in a purse. Also, don't forget the option of revolvers, which are much less likely to have mechanical problems than semi-autos. The Ruger LCR is a great little gun and not much wider than the LCP. Just make her aware that none of these tiny guns are particularly pleasant to fire, though practicing with them is a must.

For home she should get a larger caliber gun that is capable of firing more rounds. My reasoning for this is two-fold: 1) she wouldn't need to worry about the size/comfort of carrying it around; 2) it could take longer for law enforcement to get to a residence than a public area (or the bad guy might not get scared away as quickly in a home) possibly necessitating more rounds. A high-capacity semi-auto would work as would a carbine from the AR family. The AR might actually be the best bet for home defense because of the high round capacity, ease of shooting and ability to neutralize a threat quickly. Just make sure to have her ask for ammunition that minimizes penetration.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:37 PM

2,666 posts, read 2,734,559 times
I was going to suggest the Kel-Tec .380 myself but swagger beat me to it. Plus it has no safety to worry about. Even the P-11 isn't that heavy and it gives you 11 rounds.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:57 PM

8,853 posts, read 4,823,610 times
I got to run right now but find something that is 9mm instead of .380. Why? Two reasons, both of them rather the same.

In the last ammo shortage, .380 was apparently very hard to come by.

Secondly, if the society ever does seriously go down the tubes, it is speculated that the two most available calibers will be 9mm and .22. There's just that big of demand for it to build up stocks.

Hence, the reason why I prefer .45 to .40. With the .45, there's 70-80 years of where it was the premier pistol round, nutshell speaking. .40.....not so much, not such a build up to get near the .45 in "universal availability". Again, nutshell and IMHO.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:01 PM

17,884 posts, read 9,831,212 times
I'd recommend giving her more opportunity to choose--take her to a range that permits rentals.

My 26-year-old daughter decided she preferred an revolver after dealing with the slides of semi-autos. She could deal with them, but not with enough facility to give her much confidence in a tough situation--the manual of arms is significantly more complicated.

She did fine with a pocket revolver, but really felt much more comfortable with a medium-frame revolver. That's what I bought her to start out. She expects to go back to a shrouded-hammer snub nose for carry, but it's the medium frame that she'll practice most with.

Or she may change her mind. That's fine. What's more important right now is that she's shooting a gun that is both a worthwhile defense caliber, simple to handle, fun to shoot, and will always be worthwhile to own.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:16 PM

10,683 posts, read 17,021,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I'd recommend giving her more opportunity to choose--take her to a range that permits rentals.
This.

These threads are all the same, recommend me a gun, then 10 pages of posts with people suggesting their personal favorite.

Take her to a range and rent, let her find what she likes and can control.

I will comment on the LCP though, it is not a pleasant gun to shoot for any length of time.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:12 PM

8,853 posts, read 4,823,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
This.

These threads are all the same, recommend me a gun, then 10 pages of posts with people suggesting their personal favorite.

Take her to a range and rent, let her find what she likes and can control.

I will comment on the LCP though, it is not a pleasant gun to shoot for any length of time.
Well, people talking about their personal favorite does demonstrate one thing: people should pick guns on "what works for them" and not because of some symbol such as it was used by this or that super movie character.

Ie, there are at least two reasons why I have the USP as my standard. Neither is because the German Police Divers use it.....though that's a good sign of things. Because it works for me.......and if I'm someplace without a rifle, it makes a good substitute.

Is that, the rifle substitute, necessary for the daughter issue? Probably not......but it does illuminate a possibility that perhaps was not thought of before.

OF COURSE......a USP is pretty hard to conceal................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or