U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 06:11 PM

30 posts, read 23,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
An M&P9F that I traded for has the new Trijicon HD sights. I love them!
Yep, for M&Ps those are the sights to get. Yellow or orange.

OTOH, Glocks shine with plain old green/green Meprolites. They are cheap too if you get them at Top Gun Supply or some other discount source.

I started shooting way before night sights, lasers, flashlights and what have you. I warmed up to night sights very quickly because of how much I am in the darkness when I need a weapon. I use a light (old school Streamlight M3) on my night stand weapon.

Other gadgets?

Mine is my "skill".

You see lasers more in the LE community than you do Military. You are never trying to give away your position. That said, I realize some people can really benefit by using one to help them shoot accurately. I say use what works for you.

I would however drop $75-$150 on a good set of night sights before I dropped $300 on some Crimson Trace grips though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 12:36 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,611,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Know View Post
Yep, for M&Ps those are the sights to get. Yellow or orange.
I ended up with reddish/orange. Like I said, they were on the gun.

OTOH, Glocks shine with plain old green/green Meprolites. They are cheap too if you get them at Top Gun Supply or some other discount source.
I used Kyle Defoor "blackouts" and loved them. Worked GREAT in conjunction with a light.

I started shooting way before night sights, lasers, flashlights and what have you. I warmed up to night sights very quickly because of how much I am in the darkness when I need a weapon. I use a light (old school Streamlight M3) on my night stand weapon.
I have an old M3X. Even if you don't want the brighter modern lights, I'd encourage moving to LED for the reliability and battery life.

Other gadgets?

Mine is my "skill".

You see lasers more in the LE community than you do Military. You are never trying to give away your position. That said, I realize some people can really benefit by using one to help them shoot accurately. I say use what works for you.

I would however drop $75-$150 on a good set of night sights before I dropped $300 on some Crimson Trace grips though.
Everyone seems to have their own preference when it comes to sights, hence all the models out there.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:05 AM

5,998 posts, read 6,360,640 times
Lasers are good. Anything that helps is good. My preference is a light. Lights will silhouette your day sights and you can aim fine. Tritium is excellent when there is little or no light. Regular glow in the dark sights are no good unless you "charge" them up with a light first, then they only last so long.

But if you don't have tritium sights, and you don't have a flashlight, a laser is going to be the only way to put sights on target. You can not see regular sights in the dark at all. Maybe in low light, but not dark.

And some tritium are not bright enough to see in low light, too faint to separate from other reflections and light sources.

I've got lasers on a Glock and 1911 and Sig 938. Just in case.

If you don't need them don't use them, but if you do they are just a squeeze away.

Also to be aware of - you tend to visually focus on the laser and not on what's happening around you. Probably more training will reduce that, but be aware. At least that's my experience.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:09 AM

13,951 posts, read 10,312,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I just got out of a 4 day stay in the hospital and there was a present for me when I got home! A laser for my gun to help with aiming!!! Woot Woot!
How's that SR22 working out for you? You liking it?

Old 08-08-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Lasers are good. Anything that helps is good. My preference is a light. Lights will silhouette your day sights and you can aim fine. Tritium is excellent when there is little or no light. Regular glow in the dark sights are no good unless you "charge" them up with a light first, then they only last so long.

But if you don't have tritium sights, and you don't have a flashlight, a laser is going to be the only way to put sights on target. You can not see regular sights in the dark at all. Maybe in low light, but not dark.

And some tritium are not bright enough to see in low light, too faint to separate from other reflections and light sources.

If you don't need them don't use them, but if you do they are just a squeeze away.

Also to be aware of - you tend to visually focus on the laser and not on what's happening around you. Probably more training will reduce that, but be aware. At least that's my experience.
Exactly, blackouts are great in the day time, and with a 500 lumen WML, also at night. No need at all for tritium in that situation. I loved my blackouts.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:24 PM

4,101 posts, read 5,896,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Know View Post
A good quality set of tritium night sights are a much better bet.
With the only exception being they are extremely slow in dim light and almost completely useless when it is dark. I know, I have several handguns with so called night sights on them I also have 11 sets of Crimson Trace Laser grips, and for my money, they can't be beat. They don't allow you to see in total darkness, but they allow you to hit whatever that red dot is on in total darkness, and there is no fooling around trying to line up the sights like you would if you could finally see your tritium night sights. Like one of the posters said, a light is necessary, but I much prefer a good flashlight held at arms length, to a sight attached to your firearm. Any criminal (other shooter) is smart enough to figure out there is a person behind that laser sight or flashlight, so intermittent use of a weapons mounted light is about all you can use it. Also, with a weapon mounted light you must point your firearm at whatever you are looking at, that isn't always the best option. When I worked as an LEO laser sights weren't yet on the market, but now our local sheriff's department has them installed on most of the deputies guns, there is a reason for that. They work well and they are easy to adjust and the adjustment usually lasts as long as you don't take them off to replace the batteries. Replacing the batteries is very easy, cheap to do, and the adjustment which places the red dot on the target is easy to make.

I have a Surefire TLR-1 on one of my AR pistols, and while it is kinda neat and gets lots of comments I don't think I would use it if I were dealing with anyone that could shoot back.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 08-10-2014 at 06:32 PM..

Old 08-10-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
I have the green Veridian lasers on my LC9's and they seem to still be useful during daylight as opposed to the red lasers.
True, the green laser does out preform the red laser during daylight hours, but wait until you try using it in cold weather, if you gun gets cold the green laser will not function until it is warmed up. I have green lasers on three different AR-15s, not of them work in the winter.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post

All good info, James!!! Sounds like you do some shooting instead of just reading forums about laser sights.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:59 AM

10,683 posts, read 17,025,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
with a weapon mounted light you must point your firearm at whatever you are looking at
100% wrong, have you never used a flashlight in a dark room? I've seen this repeated over and over and it's not true.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
100% wrong, have you never used a flashlight in a dark room? I've seen this repeated over and over and it's not true.
+1

Especially with today's 500+ lumen lights.

However, I have found that a handheld light is just as, if not more useful than a WML. I prefer and have both, thought. I have options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or